Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

General Book Talk & Questions > The Sensuality of the Vampire

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodie, general moderator (new)

Jodie Pierce (TheVampireQueen1) | 30 comments Mod
Hello all!
I thought it might be fun to discuss the sensuality of the vampire and how we see them from an authors perspective. I know as having a fascination with vampires since I was a child, it feels like I have a personal relationship with vampires. They are seductive, elusive, mysterious, sexual and omni-present. Please tell me your opinions about these life changing creatures and the affects they've had on you over the years through your writing! Hope to hear from you all!
Keep Writing!
Jodie Pierce

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynmeyergriffith) | 143 comments Jodie.
I, too, have always been fascinated by vampires. I've written three books and a few short stories on them over the last 40 years. The thing with my vampires has they've always been (or mostly)...evil. The antagonists of my stories. Seductive, manipulative, powerful and, yes, at times, sexy. But evil. I've never understood the allure of vampires as sexy entities. Sexy? They're dead. Their hearts don't beat. They drink human blood, kill humans. So that makes them our eternal enemies. So how is that sexy? No perpetually high-school age sparkling dead flesh for me (and why would a hundreds year old vampire want to be in high school anyway?). Now, take this with good humor. I still love vampires. I even wrote about one that starts out as a good woman as the world is ending (my 2011 The Last Vampire-Revised Author's Edition) and, over time, trials and tribulations, learns to curb her blood lust and still live a "good" life, or until the world ends completely anyway. So...long live the vampire!
Warmly, author Kathryn Meyer Griffith Kathryn Meyer Griffith The Last Vampire by Kathryn Meyer Griffith The Woman in Crimson the Woman in Crimson by Kathryn Meyer Griffith Vampire Blood Author's New Revised Edition by Kathryn Meyer Griffith

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Rose (Sumaire) | 3 comments I've loved vampires since I was a little kid watching the old original Dracula, Frankenstein, Dark Shadows (and its wildly campy acting and sets) and the like on the local television station on the weekends, so it was only natural (or would "unnatural" be best) that I would eventually start writing vampire novels?

My vampires aren't much different than they were while they were still human. I could never understand the idea one commonly sees in the movies where, once the person becomes a vampire, they instantly become an untrustworthy, evil character.

I also love the sensuality of the vampire, both male and female. I see vampires as incredibly tactile creatures who enjoy the up close and personal aspect of their interaction with humanity. Once turned, my vampires possess an innate sensuality that they can turn on and off at the drop of a hat.

Right now, I'm working on a vampire trilogy. The first book, "Siofra", is already in print, as well as a short story related to it called "Feasta Fola". I'm in the process of final editing on the second book, "Fiach Fola".

"Siofra" started out as relatively light for a vampire novel, and things have gotten darker from there. She spends a great deal of that time discovering what she was and learning about her own sensual abilities during most of that novel.

Over the years, Siofra has used her sensuality to get close enough to humans to feed, although she doesn't simply rely on this. However, when you're 5' 2" tall, you use whatever tools you have at hand to get what you need.

My main character has emotional scars that go as far back as her childhood in the mid-1600's (the story begins in modern times) and those scars have helped to mold her into the solitary vampire that she is at the start of the first novel. The third and final novel (due out next year) will be the darkest of the trilogy.

I'm not into emo vampires, either. Nor the self-hating ones. Mine don't sparkle, either. I don't do paranormal romance, either. If a character ends up having a relationship, it's going to be incidental to the story, not THE story.

As for new characters, I'm working on one that will be introduced in book three, and who will end up with their own series. I haven't seen anything like this character in other books I've read, so I'm very excited about it all.

To me, vampires are just another kind of intelligent predator out there. Just like the human race. Western culture has gotten too used to the idea that their meat is born dead, cut and wrapped in the grocery store bin.

A wolf isn't evil because it has to hunt and kill its prey. Nor is a tiger. They're doing what they have to do in order to survive. I can't begrudge them that. Wolves eat meat, cows eat grass, and vampires are hemovores (new word?). Such is life (and unlife).

And now, back to your regularly scheduled GoodReads group.

message 4: by Tony-Paul (new)

Tony-Paul Vissage (TPdeV) The new breed of vampire--the 21st century one--seems to have shaken off this dulled-by-the-millennia boredom and bounced back with enthusiasm...he thrives in all walks of life, more times than not helping Mankind instead of harming it, finding better ways to sublimate the killing urge, and doing something the "old-fashioned" vampires never did--getting the girl...or the boy...in every sense of the word. Today's vampires are not only sexy but extremely capable, and I think that's part of their...dare I use the word charm?...or shall we say--mystique. They've had forever to perfect their techniques, and--whether sadistic or gently seductive--do it very well.
In Shadow Law, the vampire Marek Strigoi dares to ask the woman for whom he has a secret passion why she likes vampire movies, her answer is less than a little satisfying for him:
He set down the chair and dropped into it.
"Tell me exactly why women have such a fascination for vampires!"
For just a moment, she stared at him as if she thought he was teasing.
"I'm serious," he went on. "I'd really like to know. Why would an intelligent woman like Suzanne Griffin like a tale about a creature who turns into a bat and drinks blood?"
Yes, Maggie, tell me--so I'll know if you feel the same way, if you could want such a creature if he said he had fallen in love with you.
"Because..." she stopped, frowning as if thinking it over. "I don't know--it's so romantic."
"Being bitten in the throat is romantic? Having a reanimated corpse make love to you is romantic?" he scowled. "Perhaps I'd better revise my definition of the word!"
"Perhaps I'd better give you mine," she answered, studying her fingers a moment. "The way they portray a vampire is romantic...tall, dark, handsome, with an air of mystery and danger--" Briefly, the ultramarine eyes met his. "--sort of like you, Mark."
He affected a disbelieving laugh. "No mystery here, I assure you, and as for danger--I hope there are no more muggers lurking in the bushes."
"--and that accent...." she shivered slightly. Marek wondered if he should have lost his own so easily. "I mean, any woman would be swept off her feet by a rich, handsome man who acted as if she were the only woman in the world."
"Rich." He snapped up that one word. "According to Hollywood, every vampire in the world is rich...and noble. Have you ever noticed how none of them ever have to work for a living?" His mouth twisted ironically. "But then I guess a vampire who's a shoe salesman or was a street sweeper wouldn't be quite as romantic, would he?"
"I suppose when you're immortal, you've time to amass a fortune." She was laughing now, though still seriously plowing along with her explanation.
"There's that," he agreed. "But what about the rest?" She looked at him questioningly. "The bloodsucking, I mean. From what I understand, that's portrayed pretty graphically nowadays. Not just--" Here he affected a Bela Lugosian accent, "--I vant to drink your blood--and cut to the next scene!"
"I guess." She looked unconvinced. "But it's all so sexy beforehand."
"Sexy?" The word was almost whispered.
"Yes! That's the whole thing right there." She looked excited as if she'd just discovered the answer to a very difficult riddle. "You see--a vampire might bite, but that's all."
She leaned forward, totally serious, dropping her voice slightly.
"They can't have real sex, you know...."
"No?" Marek appeared fascinated. God, if only she knew how much sex a real vampire could have!
"No. They're impotent....so all they can do is kiss...and bite..." she gestured as if offering him the solution. He didn't bother reminding her of her cousin's novels--and hundreds of others like them--which contained vampires who spent half the story shagging one female or another, sometimes at the same time! "It's the ultimate way to have sex without losing your virginity...and gaining immortality in the bargain!"
"I see." So that was it--spelled out very plainly...a woman wanted to get laid without actually getting laid, with everlasting life as a dividend. Hmmm.

Little Maggie is in for a big surprise when she gets to know Marek better!

So there we have it:

Vampires are mysterious, exude sex, as well as make love very passionately.
They've actually seen history happen, been an eyewitness to things we mortals can only read about or see in newsreels.
But most importantly of all, they want--and desire--companionship and the love of someone who will want them in spite of what they are--and, in the end, isn't that what we all wish? And if the one with whom we find that companionship and love also offers us the bonus of immortality--of being with him/her forever--that would be the icing on the cake. That, in my opinion, is the vampire's lure...and appeal.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynmeyergriffith) | 143 comments Well said, Tony-Paul.
You said a lot of things about "how can a vampire, a reanimated corpse who drinks human blood" be sexy at all...and a question I've always asked as well.
If you're the Tony-Paul I think you are, you've read a few of my books. My vampires are usually evil, sexy, yes, but viciously dangerous. I've (am I the only woman in the world that thinks this?)never thought of vampires as sexy. Manipulative, clever, blood-thirsty and destructive, yes. If I write a vampire story and the vampire , as in my THE LAST VAMPIRE-Revised Author's Edition and Vampire Blood, is the protagonist, I make that vampire as human as possible...a vampire that struggles against the blood thirst. Tries not to kill humans. Drinks from animals. Funny thing is, I'm actually writing a new vampire book (Human No Longer)now with a human protagonist that reluctantly is becoming a vampire and trying desperately to keep her normal life...for her two childrens' sake. Hmmm. I'll see if I can do it. Warmly, author Kathryn Meyer Griffith Kathryn Meyer Griffith Vampire Blood Author's New Revised Edition by Kathryn Meyer Griffith The Woman in Crimson the Woman in Crimson by Kathryn Meyer Griffith The Last Vampire by Kathryn Meyer Griffith