Shantaram Shantaram question

Shantaram movie with Johnny Depp?
Anne Anne Nov 10, 2012 08:32AM
I heard the rights to the movie were bought by Johnny Depp several years ago so I wonder why it hasn't been made. Also I'm not sure I'd cast Johnny Depp to play the main character. imo Daniel Craig would be more suitable for the part. Anyone have info or an opinion?

Lin - Micky Rourke

I'm going with Russell Crowe to play Lin. The protagonist was so full of himself, I don't think Crowe would have too much acting to do and I think he's Australian too. I would love to see that movie! There would have to be quite an interesting cast of characters. My favorite character in that book was Prabaker or Prabu, as he was affectionately known.

I would liked Lin to be a Daniel Craig or Russell Crowe. but the others- Sreerag got them so right!
love the choices.

Oh Daniel Craig would be perfect!

A few suggestions of the top of my head: Liam Neeson, Jason Statham, or Viggo Mortensen

NO. This is wrong. All that emphasis on how ugly the the main character is supposed to be, and they're going to make it someone like Depp? NO!

Ah, but this is precisely why Depp wants to do this character, because he's an a-hole. Every hero is a jerk, or dead, or both. Pappy Boyington said show me a hero and I'll show you a screw-up. Gérard de Villiers' hero is an arsehole as well. They all are. So what? I enjoyed the book. It was good and bad on all the points mentioned in these reviews.

My choices
Lin- Ralph Fiennes
Abdul Khader Khan- Amitabh Bachchan
Prabaker- Suraj Sharma from Life of Pi
Karla-Marion Cotillard
:)

Madlen Ralph would be perfect, they are each other's doppelganger.
Aug 21, 2015 10:09AM

I can't stand Johnny Depp

I would just love to see a movie version, one of my favorite books. I can't wait to read more.

I'm hoping Johnny Depp bought the rights simply to ensure that no movie is ever made of this dreadful book written by this literary charlatan.

The role of Khader was/is slated to be played by Bachchan supposedly if it ever gets made. the screen play has been written but last i read production had been put off for the second or third time.

My picks:

Lin - Matthew McConaughey

Khader - Amitabh Bachchan

Abdulla - Mark Strong

Prabaker - Nawazuddin

Karla - Angelina Jolie

Both Lin and Karla are 30 in the book, so casting older actors for the parts would be a bad idea.

While Daniel Craig's sultriness would work, he is just too good-looking. Russell Crowe would be perfect!
I agree it would make a great movie--if done well, of course!

I read in the Wikipedia they have closed the project.

U 25x33
Moon I think Jason Statham would be perfect for Lin Character t Jonny Deep.
Feb 10, 2018 03:08PM