Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion

Is Stephenie a bad writer?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 2,784) (2784 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 55 56

Haley I hear a lot of people criticizing Stephenie's writing style (I don't know if they are talking about her grammar, her technique, her editing, or if Twilight is just a stupid book) and I just want to know what that is about. I mean, what are her exact mistakes or writing errors? I just don't see them.

Mimi ❤ No writer is perfect. She's not bad, but not the best. I personally think she's not bad of an author and I enjoy her style

message 3: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Melina wrote: "No writer is perfect. She's not bad, but not the best. I personally think she's not bad of an author and I enjoy her style"

that is quite true there. not all writers, are that that perfect, when it comes to writing a book, or novel.

message 4: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia i think SM did a really good job, at writeing from 1 to 4 books of the twi,& the host as well.

Sonny Awkward phrases and too wordy at times, but overall I think shes a good storyteller, which I think is the most important part of the novel. Go Stephenie!

GinAndCats Yes, she is a horrible writer.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

She's not, just take The Host for example. I think people just don't like Twilight.

Candy Yeah, I actually really enjoyed the Twilight series when I first read them - I think a few found the constant telling of Bella's daily life in the first book a little boring but it's actually one of my favourite parts!
I think it's wrong to compare every single write to each other - but if we're going to do that, can I just say that from what I've seen of 50 Shades, Meyer is 100x better than E.L. James.

GinAndCats 50 shades was based off of Twilight so....

message 10: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia TheFeelsAreOnTheFloor wrote: "50 shades was based off of Twilight so...."

yea

message 11: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia they why SM is good writer when it comes to writig a book for everyone to enjoy

message 12: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King TheFeelsAreOnTheFloor wrote: "Yes, she is a horrible writer."

you never said why you think that.

message 13: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King there writes a thing for where you hae to show the reader what's happening, instead of just teling them. That's one of the thing that SM got wrong.

message 14: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Eva wrote: "there writes a thing for where you hae to show the reader what's happening, instead of just teling them. That's one of the thing that SM got wrong."

well maybe.

message 15: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia but if she did write the whole twi book, and got almost eveveryone characters into the right places, then why was she bad writer?

message 16: by Josh (new) - rated it 2 stars

Josh I'd say no author that gets published is well and truly terrible. It's only once you've read several really good books and your standards are pushed a bit higher that you start calling stuff like Twilight bad. It's like "if these books I've read are five stars and these other books I used to say are five stars is nowhere near as good..." and then the rating for everything else goes down.

★ Mist ☆ Cassidy ★ I don't think she's a bad writer but I don't think she's without her flaws either. There were some things I really didn't care for with Twilight (Bella's attitude and personality for example), but over all, I think the actual writing portion of the books were good.
I think a lot of people say they don't like Twilight, not because of the books, but because of the joke the first movie was. Also, because of how the actors portrayed the characters in the first movie.
I'm not sure about the Host though. I was never able to get past the first hundred pages of that, but I still don't think that makes her a bad writer. There's tons of books that have come out from author's the I really like, that I just can't get through.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone here live in colorado?If so do you know if the twilight saga marathon is sold out?You can just message me!Id appreciate it!:)

message 19: by Zoran (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar LOL is Pope a catholic?

Nermin I read twilight series ages ago, so i don't exactly remember her writing style. but i remember i didn't like it back then. she lacks something, wit, humor, something. I wouldn't go as far to say she's as horrible as let's say E.L. James but she's not a very good writer either in my opinion.

message 21: by Zoran (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar This is what a bad writer does, and this is why SM is a bad writer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

message 22: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I think if any author can escape you to another world in their books, then they have done a good job. Writing styles will always come down to personal preference of how you like to read your books. Personally I think she has done quite well with the twilight books, with the exception of the last couple of chapters in breaking dawn (as you will see if you glance through my own review of it). She has had very good ideas with the books but some don't seem to have surfaced in the way I had hoped them to. But that doesn't necessarily mean she is a bad writer does it??

message 23: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Emma wrote: "I think if any author can escape you to another world in their books, then they have done a good job. Writing styles will always come down to personal preference of how you like to read your books...."

yea i think she did have couple of ides, from time 2 time.

message 24: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia i think somone did have point, up there about SM is not that bad of writer.

message 25: by Zoran (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar 5 year old kid has ideas, but that doesn't make it a writer.

Mickey I think what makes the Twilight books so interesting is her willingness to take risks. I really hope that she doesn't allow the criticism she gets to change this about her. I like the fact that her main character is a girl who isn't the cookie cutter role model. I like that she created her own version of supernatural creatures. She offers something different from the norm.

Some people have a hard time with change.

message 27: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Mickey wrote: "I think what makes the Twilight books so interesting is her willingness to take risks. I really hope that she doesn't allow the criticism she gets to change this about her. I like the fact that her..."

yea maybe

message 28: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia what if SM didnt write the books of twi there woulnt be the movie, type of thing..

Haley Mickey wrote: "I think what makes the Twilight books so interesting is her willingness to take risks. I really hope that she doesn't allow the criticism she gets to change this about her. I like the fact that her..."

That's a really good point - I like that.

message 30: by Ida (new) - rated it 1 star

Ida The first thing that hit me when I started reading the book one was how childish the writing was, so yes I think it's bad. There are countless blogs dedicated to how horrible Meyer's writing is, from people who loves books and loves to critique literature. Reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com is a great one that points out all of the grammatical errors, flaws in storytelling and occasionally points out the horrible moral standpoints of the characters. Plus it's funny.

message 31: by Zoran (last edited Nov 10, 2012 04:53AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoran Krušvar That SM is a horrible writer, is a fact. But what is interesting to me are the people who like those books anyway.

It reminds me of being 16, when I was completely into metal music. I only wanted to listen to metal, and I would rather listen to some really shitty lo-fi concert bootleg of a really bad demo metal band, than to some really good, quality musician of some other musical genre. I didn't want quality, I just wanted metal.

It's the same with SM fans. You guys don't really care for good writing, you just want vampire romances and some prince charming that you can dream of. And the fact that SM couldn't write well if it ment her life, that is not really your concern.

Mickey Zoran wrote: "It's the same with SM fans. You guys don't really care for good writing, you just want vampire romances and some prince charming that you can dream of. And the fact that SM couldn't write well if it ment her life, that is not really your concern."

Lots of Twilight fans read other books that don't feature vampire romance or romance at all. I don't know where you're getting your information that Twilight fans don't read other types of books, but it's faulty.

Haley Zoran wrote: "That SM is a horrible writer, is a fact. But what is interesting to me are the people who like those books anyway.

It reminds me of being 16, when I was completely into metal music. I only wanted ..."

That's kind of a harsh judgement.

message 34: by Mickey (last edited Nov 10, 2012 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mickey Thinking it over, I don't think that people who read only in a certain genre are a lower class of reader than those of us who "play the field". There are good books and excellent writers in every genre: romance, supernatural, science fiction, fantasy. There's really no cause to be a snob about it.

To put forth an argument that someone is not a good writer or others are not good readers based on the fact that they write or read in a certain genre is a little ignorant.

Haley Also, I know a lot of boys who read and like Twilight, and they are not looking for a "Prince Charming" as far as I know.

message 36: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva King Zoran wrote: "That SM is a horrible writer, is a fact. But what is interesting to me are the people who like those books anyway.

It reminds me of being 16, when I was completely into metal music. I only wanted ..."

a very wrong judgement

message 37: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Zoran wrote: "It reminds me of being 16, when I was completely into metal music. I only wanted to listen to metal, and I would rather listen to some really shitty lo-fi concert bootleg of a really bad demo metal band, than to some really good, quality musician of some other musical genre. I didn't want quality, I just wanted metal...."

So, in essence, you are saying that it's about favouring entertainment over technical perfection - nothing wrong with that I'd say.

Mickey Haley wrote: "Also, I know a lot of boys who read and like Twilight, and they are not looking for a "Prince Charming" as far as I know."

A lot of the flak that Twilight gets is just old misogynistic thinking that tales of romance (being seen as women's concerns) are somehow inferior to other types of stories.

Haley Mickey wrote: "Haley wrote: "Also, I know a lot of boys who read and like Twilight, and they are not looking for a "Prince Charming" as far as I know."

A lot of the flak that Twilight gets is just old misogynist..."

Yep - I agree.

Nermin i have to agree with Zoran.

Mickey Gerd wrote: "So, in essence, you are saying that it's about favouring entertainment over technical perfection - nothing wrong with that I'd say."

How is his metal analogy about entertainment over technical perfection? It's about being a fan of a certain genre and preferring that genre over others, which doesn't apply to Twilight fans anyway.

Mickey Narmin wrote: "i have to agree with Zoran."

You think that Twilight fans don't read outside the romance or supernatural genre?

Kit Kat I think that she is a good writer the plot was just stupid

message 44: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Mickey wrote: "How is his metal analogy about entertainment over technical perfection? It's about being a fan of a certain genre and preferring that genre over others, which doesn't apply to Twilight fans anyway."

Because a (Metal) fan listens to (or reads) what entertains him, what speaks to him - inspite of any technical or other merit.

Unless he meant to say that he listened to metal, any kind of, because it fed his youthful aggression - however, in that case I'd still think that it would be possible to draw a line to being a fan of vampire romance, even if the drive was a very different one.

Mickey What entertains someone and what speaks to someone are two different things. He didn't talk about entertainment. His point was that staying within a certain genre meant that you didn't care about quality. That is the parallel he drew.

I don't know where he got his information that Twilight fans do not read in other genres or that they have read extensively in supernatural or romance genres, but he would be wrong in my case on both points. I figured he should know that he's making assumptions that are not true.

message 46: by Linda (new) - rated it 1 star

Linda Mickey wrote: "Zoran wrote: "It's the same with SM fans. You guys don't really care for good writing, you just want vampire romances and some prince charming that you can dream of. And the fact that SM couldn't w..."

Perfect :)

message 47: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Mickey wrote: "His point was that staying within a certain genre meant that you didn't care about quality."

Ah, okay.
That's a strange assumption to make; I'd say people stay with certain genres either because of the (felt) quality or because of the familiarity. That staying with a genre equals to not caring for quality - hmm, can't see that.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephenie has scored a bloody good number of fans.This only means that she is a bloody good writer or people,nowadays,fall for everything gooey romantic.

Lindsay I don't think she's a bad writer exactly...

But she's writing what is essentially disposable fiction. It isn't high literature and shouldn't be treated as much, nor should her writing be phrased for it's technical aspects.

It's marketable and straight forward. Bland for lack of a better word.

message 50: by M.R. (new) - rated it 1 star

M.R. Graham I think most of the problems with Twilight could actually be blamed on bad editing. Most books undergo intensive rewriting AFTER the author has completed the final draft. The editing is supposed to catch awkward turns of phrase, misplaced or missing commas, excessive use of sentence fragments, overused words, and words snagged from a thesaurus that aren't actually used in the appropriate context.
Meyer's got all of those, but a lot of authors do. Someone should have caught them before they were put into print.

Of course, there's not much editing can do about flat characters. The fact remains that very few of the characters had any personality or relatable motivation, and Meyer is completely mistaken in thinking that a tabula rasa character is necessary for the reader to invest in the story. That was bad writing.

Personally, I would have preferred to read a story about Alice and Rosalie. The bubbly punk and the tortured bitch were actually very interesting.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 55 56