The Haiku Lounge discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
Hi and Welcome to The Haiku Lounge. I'm Heather, your most esteemed moderator. I shall try to be fair and just.

A little about me - I like hot chocolate and pop culture. In haiku, I like to take two unconnected pop culture references and tie them together in interesting ways.

What kind of haiku do you do?

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 11 comments Hi, I'm Ed and when I return from vacation and have more time I really want to explore creating haiku. I like this one:

Hashin

No sky
no earth - but still
snowflakes fall

message 3: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
that one is lovely, I agree! great imagery.

Welcome, Ed!

message 4: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments The first time I wrote haiku was at fine arts camp the summer between 7th and 8th grade. (About 100 years ago)

The lovely river
flows slowly through the forest
while the fish enjoy

For a brief time I wrote silly, mushy-gushy haiku to my husband when we were first dating.

I think I tend to write simple stuff that makes me think it belongs in a book of haiku for children.

If you wanted to
give me a pickle right now
that would be okay

message 5: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
LOL Robbie I love the one about the pickle - it's perfect!

Last year one of my husband's gifts to me for our anniversary was a collection of haiku's he wrote for me. I always used to tease him about not appreciating poetry, so it was a big deal, and so sweet! so yeah I'm all for mushy gushy haiku. :)

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Jan 12, 2008 10:43AM) (new)

Rachel | 25 comments Hi everybody,

I found The Haiku Lounge through Robbie. I also enjoy reading the haiku forum on my local craigslist. Recently I've developed more of an appreciation for poetry in general, especially when a piece is read aloud by its author (as is the case on Prosody, a weekly radio show on my favorite station WYEP).

The first time I remember writing haiku was in 3rd grade. My poem about the color purple was included in an anthology of student work, The Lion's Roar, and submitted to a poetry contest sponsored by our public library. Much to my surprise, I was a winner! I added more verses for another contest when I was in high school, but right now I only remember the beginning:

Purple is like dusk
falling at quarter past six
into the moonbeams.

- Rachel

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
Welcome Rachel! That's a lovely haiku - it's no wonder you won. :) I'd love to hear the rest if you have it somewhere.

message 8: by Robbie (last edited Jan 14, 2008 08:00PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Yeah, Rachel, I was excited to see you in this group. I love your award-winning Haiku! You are truly a multi-talented woman!

She plays piano
Juggles, sings and writes Haiku
Amazing woman

message 9: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
well said Alicia! welcome to our little group. :)

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo (maelstrom) Halloo! I have recently become very interested in Haiku and your group looks like a great place to explore! I like trying to tie modern topics / subject matter with traditional haiku structure. Here is my haiku about finding this group ...

Digital ramblings
Snowy sky threatens, yet, found;
Poetic Treasure!

I have much to learn and look forward to getting to know other members!

~ JO ~

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've loved haiku for years. I cannot write any other form of poetry!

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two-plus years my friend
Her name is hard to haiku
Alicia R

++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is my way of saying I've known Alicia for about two and a half years now. She introduced me to GoodReads, and then to this group, so there are many things for which I have to thank her!!

message 12: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 82 comments Mod
Welcome Jo and Natasha! Great to have both of you here. I look forward to reading more of your haikus. :)

message 13: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Introducing me
another moderator
to welcome you all

We'll have a great time
with such a creative bunch
joining in the fun!

message 14: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments (no product placement
intended for my photo
disregard the bags)

message 15: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Giridharan (wiredkarma) | 1 comments Traveler joins
For a ride.
Poetry

Hi ! Suraj here ! That's my humble offering to a room.

Veterans !!

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy (G-Pops) | 3 comments i "stumbled" across Haiku Lounge the other day. Looks like a friendly place. I notice a lot of the posts are a year old...anyone out there? I'm a Ohio State English major...1975. For more years than I can recall, poetry was missing from my day to day living. Then about three years ago....Wham!..it showed up and I have been having a wonderful time reading, purchasing, reflecting and writing.

Hope to connect with other haiku fans.

randy

message 17: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments I'm still here--most of the activity has been in our two games, and I keep posting occasionally to keep them going. If you post your work, or play the games, your friends will see your post, and maybe we'll get more action. Welcome aboard!

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy (G-Pops) | 3 comments lights are on
haiku lounge
welcomes a wanderer

message 19: by Queen (new)

Queen | 4 comments Hi all. Queen from Philly here. I found haiku via the movie Love Jones. The character Nina recited a piece by Sonia Sanchez and I've been hooked ever since. I am soo happy to have found the Haiku Lounge. :D

message 20: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Nice to have you here, Queen!

message 21: by Queen (new)

Queen | 4 comments thanx Robbie!

message 22: by Contrary (new)

Contrary (that-contrarian-librarian) Floating, sifting through
A sheet of introductions
My name; Lorian

nice see there's a haiku group out there!

message 23: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments welcome!

message 24: by Grace (new)

Grace (lionthatroarz) | 16 comments Hi, I don't know how often people come to check out this group, but I just started Haiku-ing just as a hobby, and its really fun!

message 25: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Excellent! I think I'm the only "founding member" to check in, but we have a few regulars who come back from time-to-time. Nice to have you here!

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace (lionthatroarz) | 16 comments Robbie wrote: "Excellent! I think I'm the only "founding member" to check in, but we have a few regulars who come back from time-to-time. Nice to have you here!"

Thanks =D

message 27: by Jenna (last edited Jan 22, 2012 07:38PM) (new)

Jenna (jennale) Hi, I'm Jenna -- I'm excited to join this group!

I'm a big fan of the works of Basho and Issa. I also love the writings of Chiyo-ni, an 18th-century female "haiku master" whose existence I only recently learned about. I'd love to discuss Chiyo-ni's poems with other group members who've read them!

I've been writing "Western-style" poetry for many years, but only started writing haiku a few years ago. My recently published book of poems (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...) contains a haiku sequence, a haibun, and several tanka. In my poetry, I aspire to bridge the gap between "Western-style" poetry and "Eastern-style" poetry (e.g., haiku).

message 28: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Welcome, Jenna!

message 29: by Leena (last edited Oct 23, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Leena Prasad (leenaprasad) | 2 comments haiku minds
think alike i see
here, happy to be.

i have self-published a haiku book not exactly haiku and i post q&a with haiku authors at haikuHoopla.com.

message 30: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Welcom, Leena! As you can see, this hasn't been a terribly active group lately. I'll check out your link!

message 31: by William (new)

William Jr. (willoeld) | 2 comments Just joined the group today, how is everyone? :)

Here is a haiku I wrote:

waves lapping my feet
a single cloud in the sky
reflected below

message 32: by Stephen (last edited Nov 23, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Stephen Bergstrom (stephenjbergstrom) | 1 comments Hello from Taos, New Mexico to all you fellow haiku-ers and haiku-lovers. Just joined GoodReads and still getting my feet wet. I write quite a bit of what I call contemporary haiku, ala 5-7-5 and often link them to create a longer saga. Just published my first e-collection via Kindle, called Rays of Light, Edge of Darkness: Poetry Volume 1: Rays of Light, Edge of Darkness - 50 Contemporary Haiku Poems

Am a lifelong avid reader of all genres and look forward to exchanging reviews, perceptions and insights. See you online!

Stephen J. Bergstrom

message 33: by Karl (new)

Karl Grass | 5 comments Hi - I just found this group today and have enjoyed reading your posts! They inspired me to write this haiku on my beach walk to add to the collection.

Rain falling gently
Feet softly caress soft sand
Peaceful evening

Karl

message 34: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 122 comments Karl, I just returned from a week at the beach. You captured the experience splendidly! Welcome.

message 35: by Mattō (new)

Mattō Mattō (MonkMatto) | 1 comments Hello, I write haiku like poetry; I call them freestyle haiku. I treat them like a journal. I'm looking forward to chatting with other poets and readers! -Mattō

message 36: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Lucksmith (lucksmith) | 1 comments Hello!

My interest include:
tea leaves, the smell of cedar,
rootlet and droplets

My first haiku collection,
a paperback made of hearts

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to explode
in Hunter S. Thompson style
fireworks

message 38: by Becky (last edited Feb 17, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Becky Rodriguez Hi, I'm a fairly-new-aspiring-professional-haiku poet. I love haiku... both the reading and writing of it. I particularly like themed, contemporary, and humorous haiku. I look forward to being part of this group!

message 39: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 2 comments Hi, I'm new here. I love reading and writing Haiku. It's a fairly new passion for me, but I've always loved poetry. I love haiku because you have to try to paint a perfect picture in very little words, and it's beautiful.

message 40: by Lost (new)

Lost Owl (erickflaig) | 2 comments I write haiku (poorly) at www.haiku575.us. I work in the traditional 5-7-5 format because I need that structure to keep me grounded. I especially enjoy Issa.

message 41: by Hans (new)

Hans | 1 comments Joining haiku lounge
Seeking some inspiration -
rather dead, alas