The Sword and Laser discussion

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
This topic is about The Dirty Streets of Heaven
2012 Reads > TDSOH: Death in Space

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John (JohnBrock) | 33 comments What happens to a soul if an advocate can't get to it? Like if someone died in space.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments John wrote: "What happens to a soul if an advocate can't get to it? Like if someone died in space."

You mean there are no angels with wings?

Karly (karlyko) | 79 comments Haha David Sven. I would assume they'd have the advocates up there who don't have earthly bodies?

I mean, The Highest would have thought of that if He was all-knowing... But if he was all-knowing then how would souls disappear? And so on and so on.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments Karly wrote: "I would assume they'd have the advocates up there who don't have earthly bodies? "

Uh...space suits?

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 639 comments or even deep water?

Or someplace even more horrible...like Detroit...where even angels fear to tread.

message 6: by Sky (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sky Corbelli | 320 comments Didn't you know? 50% of all astronauts are also angels.

Heh, that means that at least 1 guy on every boat up in the Bering Sea must be an angel too, what with the mortality rate... need to go watch some Deadliest Catch now, to pick out the angels.

John (JohnBrock) | 33 comments Paul wrote: "Or someplace even more horrible...like Detroit...where even angels fear to tread."

Nice....

I'm thinking from space they might lose velocity and just fall back to Earth, but that was just an example. There have to been times since the beginning of time when angels couldn't get to people. Would they just wait around until the soul comes somewhere they oould get to?

message 8: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments [image error]

message 9: by Thurman (new) - added it

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments If you have the time watch "Dead Like Me". The grim reapers are supposed to take the soul before the person dies. If the soul is taken it stays in the body. I like your interesting scenarios. Could you imagine be on the bottom of the ocean for all eternity :(

I know I'm over analyzing :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Lik...

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments Tamahome wrote: ""

Ha Ha. Lucky I've finished Pandora's Star, otherwise you'd have me confusing the two plots.

message 11: by Dave (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Irwin (Dave_Irwin) | 36 comments Surely they could just pull up a zipper and then walk to wherever the person is. Or maybe it is like when the earth-bounds go to heaven, they just leave their bodies sleeping and travel to where ever the person has died.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Polley (polleydan) | 22 comments Dave wrote: "Surely they could just pull up a zipper and then walk to wherever the person is. Or maybe it is like when the earth-bounds go to heaven, they just leave their bodies sleeping and travel to where ev..."

Yeah, I wouldn't think an Earth-bound angel would need oxygen on the other side of a zipper.

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments Hm, this makes me think.

Just about the whole process... and a bunch of weird scenarios pop into mind.

Like what happens if there is a huge pileup on the highway, or a mass shooting. Is the place suddenly flooded with an advocate, prosecutor, and judge for every soul?

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments They would still only need one each. They's get through them in all in no time...seeing's there's no time past the zipper.

message 15: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments What I mean is that they have to still show up in the real world, like D does with all his fake IDs. He usually sees the police, and then enters the zipper.

How would you explain an angel showing up for each person in a mass death? Would there even be that many in the area?

Note: I don't usually like digging too deep into books like this. I'm content with suspending my disbelief and not asking too many questions if the story is good (like it is here).

George Corley (gacorley) | 63 comments Dave wrote: "Surely they could just pull up a zipper and then walk to wherever the person is. Or maybe it is like when the earth-bounds go to heaven, they just leave their bodies sleeping and travel to where ev..."

But Outside sort of fades into gray nothing as you get further away from a zipper. I figure that the zipper creates a sort of extradimensional space of its own that allows you to be in a particular place on Earth but still outside of Time.

Of course, no one has ever actually died in space -- only in high atmosphere, where their souls might fall to earth. Consider that the drowning victim's soul was standing on the dock, not floating somewhere down in the water, which is where she probably died. Maybe the guardians are able to guide the soul to a place where advocates and prosecutors have easy physical access.

message 17: by Dave (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dave Irwin (Dave_Irwin) | 36 comments George wrote: "Dave wrote: "Surely they could just pull up a zipper and then walk to wherever the person is. Or maybe it is like when the earth-bounds go to heaven, they just leave their bodies sleeping and trave..."

Yes, I would say the guardians or even the judges would be able to make that happen. He has not explored all the magic available to either side yet and we know very little about other types of angels/demons. Hopefully the next book in the series will fill this out a little.

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments And what happened with the casualties from the angel's own hands. Do the angels have to wait until forensics are done to waltz back in?

George Corley (gacorley) | 63 comments Jesús wrote: "And what happened with the casualties from the angel's own hands. Do the angels have to wait until forensics are done to waltz back in?"

I don't think we saw angels kill anything that wasn't supernatural. Demons may have killed some humans, though what with (view spoiler) and NEAR END OF BOOK SPOILER (view spoiler)

The book didn't really mention anything about human casualties in the war, but I imagine that serving as advocate or prosecutor for someone you killed yourself would be seen as some sort of conflict of interest.

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Moncrief (jpmoncrief) So....am I the only one looking forward to Dollar Bob in Space???

message 21: by John (last edited Nov 19, 2012 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John (JohnBrock) | 33 comments George wrote: " but I imagine that serving as advocate or prosecutor for someone you killed yourself would be seen as some sort of conflict of interest. "
Talk about an awkward situation. "Sorry I killed you. My bad"
It would certainly be an easy soul in case only one side could get to the soul as well.