Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > When people know what you're reading...

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie (JadedlilFecker) | 950 comments Mod
I'm one of those persons who reads romance novels in public, with or without a body bent, writhing in ecstasy cover. In front of small children, church-goers and parents alike! It almost makes me saddened, because I ask a lady what she was reading one day, and she flipped it over, a couple times, like a flip-book really fast, like someone flashing a fake ID/badge, and said.."oh, this old thing.."..and didn't even tell me the title! Her utter embarrassment was written on her face, too! >.<; Am I missing something? Am I supposed to show discretion there?

message 2: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 75 comments I'm not embarrassed by my books really. Ok, I might blush a little if it's one of the really good old ones, but I'm not afraid to tell 'em I'm reading a romance. Then they'll say, 'oh, one of those smutty books'. Yep!

Love the pic, that's me for sure! :D

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I used to work a really crappy job at the local movie theatre, where you could be doing one or all of a few things in a day: selling tickets, ripping tickets and directing people to their theatres, working the concession stand, etc. I preferred the part of the job where I ripped people’s tickets because it meant hours of doing pretty much whatever you wanted as long as you did what the job required and smiled at your supervisors and customers, so I always brought a book to read (mostly “brain candy,” or smut, if you prefer). It’s no coincidence that, on my bookshelves for the books read in 2010 and 2011, I read over 20 books each year, and haven’t done that since because I don’t have as much time to read. My co-workers would come by to take over after a couple (or 8) hours, and I knew they’d look at the scandalous, cheesy covers and snicker and judge. At first, I was a little embarrassed but found it easy not to care. My supervisors never commented on my reading material, and customers always reacted agreeably to exchange a word or two on their way to the theatres. Some commended me for doing something useful with my time, others suggested similar good authors, or agreed with the author or book I was reading. More than a few stood with me talking books and shooting the breeze while their family was busy at the concession stand.
My family has never been one to look down on it, either. My sister and I consume brain candy when we want something soft and pulpy, though not necessarily educational or enlightening, for our brains to chew when we don’t feel like decoding a complicated plot (hence the term brain candy), and most of the brain candy from 2010 and 2011 is my mom’s from back in the day. Now she reads all the newer ones.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 40 comments that's what is so great about a Kindle no one can see the cover..lol but seriously, I read what I want and don't mind telling people if they ask.