The County Library discussion

General > Guilty Pleasures

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't usually admit this, but I love the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella. They are perfect when I need some mindless silly fun. What book are you most embarrased to admit you love? Or what book is your guiltiest pleasure? Some of your answers will be included in an article I'm writing for Salt Lake County Library's Shelf Life newsletter.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky R. (mjmbecky) | 1 comments Why would you be ashamed to admit to enjoying Sophie Kinsella??? Her books are awesome! :)

I don't feel guilty about my reads, but a couple I think go with what you're thinking are: Harriet Evans, Meg Cabot's stand alones, & Stephanie Perkins. Those authors have some of my favorite escape reads.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 372 comments Mod
I admit to occasionally reading a Mary Balogh novel. Her First Comes Marriage series sucked me right in.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah | 16 comments I block out a whole day every July to read the latest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich, the perfect summer escape!

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 19 comments I love my "guilty" reads!
The True Blood Series by Charlaine Harris, Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward and the Mageverse series by Angela Knight all fall into that category...
Not surprisingly, all are vampire romances, lol!

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 228 comments The Stephanie Plum books are my guilty pleasure reads.

message 7: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) I don't believe there are such things as guilty pleasures when it comes to reading. There are only pleasures!

message 8: by Roy (new)

Roy (roykirk09) | 2 comments I agree with Brendle! I guess though the fact that I still enjoy The Great Brain series might be considered a guilty pleasure, but I don't. ;-)

message 9: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 11 comments I am a white haired Grandma who loves books with a lot of blood and guts. I like true crime books and Patricia Cornwell, etc. I classify this as guilty pleasure because I don't think others would think this material is "wholesome"!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments My guilty pleasure would be _re-reading_ a book or a series. The guilt comes from feeling like I should be learning something new or reading a book for the first time--there are so many new things to read! But the pleasure of reading a beloved favorite is so wonderful.

This is a good place to admit that there are some books I have read more than several times. There is something very satisfying in finding that an old favorite holds up over time and that I still love it just as much.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Ashesmore) | 23 comments I have two guilty pleasures when it comes to books!!!

1. I love reading Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swenseon series.

2. I also love to re-read some of my favorite books and series, like Harry Potter for example.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Keller | 1 comments I used to be ashamed to admit to reading Romance books, but the older I get the more I say, if you don't like what I read don't ask!

message 13: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (DashForCover) | 551 comments I have two guilty pleasures:
Re-reading the Harry Potter series
Re-reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, which I always do as a set.

And I've read them all mmrpfdmlste (hand blocking mouth) times, never tiring of the stories. I also have the audio books of all of them so I can even read them when I'm on the road again.

I also re-watch the movies repeatedly. LOVE THEM!

message 14: by Karen (last edited Jan 09, 2015 12:05PM) (new)

Karen (Rhyta) | 17 comments Oh I so agree with the feeling slightly guilty that I am re-reading a series. But it is so much fun to visit a tale and characters I love once again.
I am due for a re-read of the Hobbit since I just saw the movie (great!) and then LOTR of course.

Harry Potter, Fionavar Trilogy (as good as LOTR in my opinion,) Dresden Files,Percy Jackson and J.D. Robb. :)

message 15: by Darin (new)

Darin | 43 comments Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is a guilty pleasure for me. I wouldn't call them great literature, but just fun to read and laugh out loud funny! I enjoyed listening to these on audio when CJ Critt was the narrator.

message 16: by Nora (new)

Nora (NoraWB) | 17 comments My latest guilty pleasure was Wolf with Benefits by Shelly Laurenston. ;)

message 17: by N (new)

N | 1 comments I just finished The Last Lion, a biography about Winston Churchill. Three volumes, but so engaging. I read till my eyes hurt and wanted more.

message 18: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Paige (ReadingisEntertainment) | 8 comments I just may be guilty all around as I enjoy YA fantasy too much.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather Hamilton (H-town) | 15 comments Reading (period) is my guilty pleasure. The guilt comes from everything I'm ignoring (chores, family) in order to read!