Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > future shelfspace hogs

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments On The Book Thing's website, they have a link to the 14 strangest titles donated:
14 Strangest Titles
We kid you not. These are real titles that have been donated to The Book Thing .

* Alien Abductees Handbook
* How to Enjoy Sex while Conscious
* Handbook of Underwater Acoustics
* How to Read a Book
* Psychological Effects Preventing Nuclear War
* Population Control through Nuclear Pollution
* How to Make a Moron
* Headhunting in the Solomon Islands
* Elephants in pink Tutus
* The Screwing of the Average Man
* 1978 Oahu Bus Schedule
* Advice from a Failure
* Suture Self
* Superfluous Hair and Its Removal

They also have a list of the ten most donated books:
* Iacocca
* Passages
* Megatrends
* What Color is Your Parachute
* Future Shock
* Silent Passage
* Readers Digest Condensed Books
* Harlequins
* Iacocca

My question: What are the books of today that will be in used bookstores by the dozens in the future? The ones that everybody has on their shelf even if they've never read? I'd add all those "Chicken Soup for the ____" books, and Tuesdays with Morrie, and Who Moved My Cheese? and the Horse Whisperer.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I think there will be a huge collection of James Patterson books, and I agree about the "Chicken Soup" books.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I think the Harry Potter series has enough staying power to remain in people's collections and handed off to future children, etc, but not the Twilight series. Used bookstores will be flooded with those in a few years.

I also find it interesting that I will notice several copies of a fairly newer release in every used bookstore that I go into only to find out later that it was recently featured in Oprah's book club. Franzen's "The Corrections" immediately comes to mind.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
The Fifty Shades books.

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg.

Many copies of "The Fault in Our Stars" and Bill O'Reilly's ghostwritten tomes.

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3447 comments Probably this popular book I'm reading now: "Where the Crawdads Sing." But I'm only halfway through, so maybe it gets better.