Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Deleting readers who aren't really reading

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Boody | 5 comments Hi Librarians --- Just wondering: At least 3 of the 4 people still shown as "currently reading" my book "Thomas Jefferson, Rachel & Me" have been there for a very long time and obviously are not currently reading it (sorry to say).
Is there a way to delete or maybe hide these apparently false status indicators? I'd rather face the cold reality of zero readers than the illusion of still having some readers out there or the same four forever.
Not a big deal.
Thanks for all.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments No there is no way

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Boody | 5 comments OK thank you Paula. I'll live.

message 4: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 122 comments This is one of the more bizarre questions I've seen from authors here. Users' statuses are for themselves/their friends, not to let authors know their books are being read. There is no way to control how users have your books shelved (whether currently-reading or otherwise).

message 5: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments I notice that one of the 'offending readers' only shelved the book on September 01, 2012 and two other readers on June 02, 2012. That isn't a "very long time" to me. I've had some books on my currently reading list for years (Colour of Magic took over five years before I could wade though it).

message 6: by Julie (last edited Nov 02, 2012 01:38PM) (new)

Julie (readerjules) | 36 comments At least one, if not two of the books on my currently reading shelf have probably been there since before Sep 1. Sometimes I start things and then put them aside to finish later. Or read just a little at a time. That is what happens when you read several things at once. And some people just don't read often and may take months to read a book even if it is the only one.

message 7: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 504 comments I've been reading Unveiled since March.

But, of course, the author must know the readers and is very familiar with their reading speeds. /sarcasm

message 8: by Stefani (last edited Nov 02, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 36 comments I have a few books on my currently reading from early this year....one from September of this year. Because I've decided to put them down for awhile for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean I'm not going back to them later.

ETA: One of those books was added 10/30/2011...still reading it, just not working on it right now.

Very strange question indeed.

message 9: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 318 comments Personally, I keep books on my "currently-reading" shelf until I write a review for the book. I update my start/read dates and rate the books, but keep them there. I'm behind, so I have *cough* 30 books on my shelf right now, going back to the end of July.

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter Boody | 5 comments Apologies. Thanks. I didn't mean I wanted to delete the readers' own statuses.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32617 comments Mod
This sort of discussion does not belong in the Librarians Group, as librarians have no control over anyone reading status but their own.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.