Reader's Ink discussion

Half Broke Horses > 4- Scenes

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments The book is written in short 1-2 page scenes. Do you like this style? Do you have a favorite, or least favorite, scene?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
What makes it nice is that its in a nice format that you can pick it up and set it down without losing too much of your reading. Other books are a lot harder to do that with. Reading as a biography is a different but pleasing touch to me for this book. I liked all the scenes having to do with horses, and I also was was really touched with the scenes where they were challenged with their home/crops.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I agree- I usually read before bed so I was always tempted to read a few more pages before turning out the lights.

I loved the opening scene, where the kids were stuck in the tree and Lily kept them awake all night. I also liked the scenes where she stood up to the various schoolmasters (was that the word?), as well as thinking about her selling liquor out of her back door. And being a cab driver. She was very resourceful and smart! Imagine if she had been encouraged in her schooling earlier on...

message 4: by Diana S (new)

Diana S My least favorite scene is when she found out about her two-timing first husband. And to top it off- he left her penniless. JerK!