Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
This topic is about Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass > Initial Thoughts

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2686 comments Mod
Who's reading along? What do you think so far? No spoilers in this thread please!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) I'm reading along!

So far I'm finding the main character slightly annoying. She seems rather girly for an assassin and a little too perfect as well. I like the male characters though.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Waiting for my copy from the library! Wish it would hurry!!

Emily (Falling for YA) (FallingForYA) | 34 comments My copy just came in the mail from Amazon today! Can't wait to start reading ^^

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Kim wrote: "So far I'm finding the main character slightly annoying. She seems rather girly for an assassin and a little too perfect as well. I like the male characters though."

Okay, I totally just looked at the author's site and now I can see why she wrote the character the way she is. (In other words, she looks just like the main character and probably shares many of her traits - outside of the assassin- as well).

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am not a writer... but sometimes I wonder how I would write my characters. Like me or completely different. I play D&D every now and then and that character is just like me. Other people I play with will play someone totally different, even a different sex!

Kyla Gergely (KyGergely) | 11 comments The main character seems like she is the best of both worlds-beautiful but strong. Looking at her you wouldn't see her as an assassin, but if you knew her as an assassin you probably wouldn't ever think she was beautiful.

message 8: by Kim (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Kyla wrote: "if you knew her as an assassin you probably wouldn't ever think she was beautiful...."

I think that's an interesting assessment. I'm not sure that makes her physically less beautiful, but it would definitely make one reconsider her attraction.

Jenny (narcisse) Kim wrote: "So far I'm finding the main character slightly annoying. She seems rather girly for an assassin and a little too perfect as well. I like the male characters though."

I don't see why an assassin can't be "girly." I, for one, am pleased to see a heroine who can be a fighter without also being tomboyish, as though the two must go hand-in-hand.

I also don't think she's perfect. She's arrogant and spiteful. She's blind to the betrayal in her past that she doesn't want to see or accept.

message 10: by Kim (last edited Nov 05, 2012 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Jenny wrote: "I don't see why an assassin can't be "girly."..."

It is a good point that a fighter doesn't always have to be tomboyish. I didn't really want her to be a tomboy, but she does seem unrealistic to me which is why I called her "perfect". But those are my initial reactions; they may not reflect my feelings after I've finished the book :D. (edited 11/5 - finished the book and, as predicted, liked her much better at the end).

message 11: by Jenny (last edited Nov 05, 2012 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) I remember when I was reading it that I was thinking she may not be an easily likable character for a lot of people because her personality is arrogant and at times petty and bratty. It may have been what endeared me to her, because I love flawed characters.

But I really am thrilled to see a character who can be both dangerous and also feminine in a frilly way. I get tired of seeing the tomboy warrior trope ALL of the time, because it puts the idea out there and reiterates it over and over again that if a girl is going to kick butt, she needs to be more boy-like to do it. And that is a tiresome notion.

Shelley I'd bought the book a while ago, but I never had the chance to read it. Now, I wish I had started sooner. So far, I'm only half-way through the book, but I like the main character. She is a bit too girly for my taste, but it isn't that bad. She's pretty badass as an assassin, but sometimes she seems a bit weak to be the best assassin in the land. Only sometimes, though. Other times, she lives up to the title completely.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

just got the book

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I just received the book from the library and, five chapters in, my first reaction is "ho hum"...not another one of these.

I'm not sure I really like the character or even know her. So far, the author hasn't done a very good job of character building, in my opinion.

I was struck by the very close resemblance between the author's photo on the jacket and the artwork on the cover. Did the author sit as a model for the cover?

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim (kadykayf) Grace wrote: "I was struck by the very close resemblance between the author's photo on the jacket and the artwork on the cover. Did the author sit as a model for the cover? ..."

I noticed that too. We should have asked Sarah if she was the inspiration for the cover. But then again, I do think she quite possibly based the character on herself, so it would make sense that the cover looks a bit like the writer.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Kim wrote: " But then again, I do think she quite possibly based the character on herself, so it would make sense that the cover looks a bit like the writer. "

I'm not sure I follow that logic. That assumes that either the artist knew Sarah well and new of the link you mention OR Sarah was the designer of the artwork.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Grace wrote: "I just received the book from the library and, five chapters in, my first reaction is "ho hum"...not another one of these."

I feel I need to amend this initial impression. It's true I didn't think much of the book after the first 30 pages or so but it all changed when the story reached Rifthold in Chapter 7. From that point on, I found it difficult to put the book down.

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am going to be a little late reading the group read this time around. I might not be able to read it till December!