1984 1984 discussion

How did that happen????????

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In the start of the book "DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER" The last line was "he loved Big Brother." Am I the only one confused by this?

Philip Lee At the very start of the book, if you remember though, the clocks were striking thirteen. In other words, be prepared to see the world turned upside down.

In the year 1948, when the book was first published, the idea of brainwashing was still fairly novel, and mass brainwashing even more so. Yet it was less than ten years since Hitler had addressed the Nazi rallies at Nurenburg. Look how the crowds of demonstrators in the book feel ashamed when it is suddenly announced that Eurasia had switched sides in the war.

Winston Smith gives his best shot at finding out the truth behind all the lies and propaganda; but the horror is that, by the end, even he has succumbed. The real sense in which he loves Big Brother is only his fear of Room 101.

Matthew Williams That's because he was broken and brainwashed by the end, remember? After endless torture, mind games, electro-shock which erased his memory, and being made to give up Julia, he had come to be completely bereft of resistance and his own will. In the end, he gave in and became what they wanted him to be, a willing servant.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh. Now it makes sense.

Michielle Great answers you guys. It has been awhile since I have read the book and watched the movie. But I was going to say the same. He finally succumbed to the brainwashing and/or following the crowd. Much like many people in present day.