Debate discussion

Other Debates > Cussing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 254 (254 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Is it really bad? When is it appropriate to use? Is it only worked into society as bad?

message 2: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments hahahaha my uncharacteristic opinion is that it entirely depends... it's never neccesary, but it's sometimes perfectly overlookable. for example, my old english teacher was an extremely strict Catholic, yet, he said when he was in the military, there was simply no avoiding it. Everybody swears, get over it, in an extremely stressful situation like that, you invent "bad words" haha... i'd also say that it depends on the word- the 'f' word, and of course, God's name in vain i disapprove of, but nearly all the other "bad words" are really just ordinary words that have been turned into somethnig obscene by modern society...
wow, that was long-winded, and pretty much pointless rambling... sorry bout that haha ;D

message 3: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Debating is rambling.

message 4: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yeah thats true..

well i think that words are a powerful thing, but also something of little importance and cussing is something that i do often, but thats because it became habit after my family didn't enforce no swearing.
ok yeah i really have no idea what to say because this is a very confusing topic and i SO don't have the energy to think about it right now, lol, so yeahhh.

message 5: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments wow, you remind me of.... um... me. no energy for thniking, i mean. :P

message 6: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) oh ha.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz i think most cursing is rude and uncalled for, not to mention uneducated. though it is funny to think about; if society didn't make those words a big deal to say, they wouldn't be curse words.

message 8: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i don't really like the f-word, although i accidentally let it slip at least in my mind 4 times a day at the least. the rest, i really don't care.

message 9: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I don't think it makes you uneducated is you cuss, I just think you hand around teens a lot, thus worked into your brain.

I'm totally against any cussing that is offensive to people, but words that you exclaim out of habit or shock are fine. Also, some of the substitutes for cursing are a little childish.

I bet you once the young generation becomes adults cursing will just be considered equal to every other word.

message 10: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i won't cuss around anyone who says they don't like it, i don't want to offend anyone, but if not, then i will.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Masha wrote: "I don't think it makes you uneducated is you cuss, I just think you hand around teens a lot, thus worked into your brain.

I'm totally against any cussing that is offensive to people, but words th..."

no it doesn't make you uneducated at all it just sounds uneducated, you know?

message 12: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Eh, kinda.

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments I don't cuss all the time just when i'm really really mad

message 14: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I just cuss for emphasis or when I'm surprised.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ hmm yeah. same. i don't swear too often, but it's not because i'm morally against it, really. cussing to a certain degree, i'm okay with it ... it's just the people who say the f-word every five seconds, i'm like "okay ... you don't REALLY have to say that". it doesn't really bother me; it's just that, it doesn't necessarily get your point across any better, or make you seem "cooler".

message 16: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Oooooo one of my favorite topics.

I dont mind cursing at ALL. because i am an avid cusser. Im from Brooklyn so its actually been programmed into my blood to say the F word in ever sentence.

message 17: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Lol, I come from a pretty basic suburban place, but I live in the ghetto part, not that it's ghetto. It's just more ghetto than the north side. It's divided into two, people who make about $150,000 a year and people who make more.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ hmm yeah i live in a suburb. it's pretty stuck up. some of the kids at my school are like "i'm a gangsta and i'm gonna say the f-word every five seconds" but really, they're all just trying too hard. ><

i see what u guyz mean. it depends on the environment i guess. i mean, my parents don't swear too much, and neither do my friends, so i don't either. idk. it's not that i think it's, like, totally offensive, i just don't feel the ... need to swear ... ? idk how to put it.

message 19: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Haha, my neighborhood is like that too. There are a bunch of white kids who pop their collar and call the county "a-town". They are like "Ohhhhh! We are so ghetto we wear sweater vests!" Then all of the other kids just stare at them blankly.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ omg yeah! exactly. haha. that's what it's like here. ><

message 21: by The New Maria (last edited Feb 23, 2009 05:35PM) (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Hahaha!!!! Aw, hilarious isn't it? My friends and I always laugh at the rich-kids-who-wannna-be-"G"s.

message 22: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I dont care about cursing......I was so mad at this girl on my bus today.....so many curse words flew out...it was like BOOM! BANG! SHABAM! PING!

message 23: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Haha!!!

message 24: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I almost punched her......and my friends are like: YO! CHILLAX! You have anger management issues!

message 25: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Whoa.

*goes into a little corner* Do you?

message 26: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Not really...I'm usually an EXTREMELY nice person..Im very sensitive...but if you piss me off when I didnt do s*** to you...thats when I can and WILL do my best to hurt you.

message 27: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Ah, I'm sooo mean to my friends, but in a joking way. When I'm not joking though, I'm a total softie.

message 28: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Same here!

message 29: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments I don't like swearing really at all . . . Though this is my question: before the '50s came along, there was no swear words. How were they invented. But i really do HATE the f-word with a passion. it bugs me a lot.

message 30: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Hmmmmm...I use it....only if I'm super duper angry...which isnt often..I use it like...once in a blue moon....

message 31: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments haha how often is that?

message 32: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I never use the f-word. I do use the s-word a lot though.

Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ i use ... both. but not in public. or around my parents. lol

message 34: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments So I saw this uber pro-life car once and I yell "Aw s***!!!" in front of my mom. We had this big debate about it.

message 35: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments hahaha

message 36: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Yeah, she's scared I'll turn into a nose piercing, chain smoking, school failing teen now.

message 38: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Oh my

message 39: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Haha!

message 40: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) my mom doesnt care if i swear at all. shes totally cool about it.

message 41: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) I said the s word..and my dad said if he ever heard me say it again...he was gonna knock my teeth out.....

message 42: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Whoa, does your dad, like, abuse you?

message 43: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) No! Of course not! He just says that so I can watch my mouth! I accidently said it again and he didn't do crap.

message 44: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Ah, okay. Making sure.

message 45: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) It's okay.

message 46: by Tree (new)

Tree (onehopelesshero) One time when my parents divorced I was at tkd practice and apparently i let the f-word slip very loadly when no one else was talking. I didn't realise it at the time and I have no recollection of the moment but the guy who was teaching pulled me aside and told me. Then I was calle dupstairs into teh head instructors office. i almost lost one belt-rank for it and I had to go down stairs and apologise to every one which I did. i was so scared and ashamed. The instructor even called my mom and told me to take a couple of weeks off. And yeah. Moral of the story kids...don't swear in karate class.

message 47: by Tree (new)

Tree (onehopelesshero) As far as swearing goes i'm not against it. I'm in the Army. Its part of every day life. In fact as a sargeant its almost expected from your men. However Sargeants and above are encouraged to discourage thier men from swearing. And, are expected to hold off themselves. Not be perfect, just swear less.
I do believe in holding off when kids are around,in church or when i'm around my church friends. And, I will not use the Lord's name in vain.
Basically I have two groups of friends. Chruch and Army. When i'm with my Army budies I do use swear language. Not a lot but I do use it. when i'm with my church friends I hold back or if I start to swear I quickly use one of the substitutes. Like I said in another thread, i'm Mormon, and swearing is frowned upon.

You know....I'm starting to realise I ramble a lot....

message 48: by Liz (new)

Liz Rambling is fine!

message 49: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments I'm not like peoples at school who cuss out of habit. Like today 5 kids got introuble 4 cussing my friends off.

message 50: by Sheeky (new)

Sheeky (sheekster) Ooooohhh I aciddently cursed in science!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6