Infinite Jest Infinite Jest discussion

Infinite jest- to read???

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies I have been going back and forth with myself over if I should read this or not. I'm not a huge fan of footnotes but I do like a nice juicy read that I can sink into and maybe laugh a little. Is this as good as many say? Is it worth it?

David Couldrey YES.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Yes!!! really? u sure? i'm interested, am looking at a used copy on Amazon because for some reason the library in my town or the one I work at doesn't carry a copy and the thing is so long it will most likely take a few weeks instead of a few days but I'm nervous because I do tend to get really invested in a book. I get depressed when it doesn't work out (it's like a relationship).
i'm sort of kidding but am leaning towards the book. thank u for your comment!

Caroline Good idea to buy a used copy on Amazon. It is a book you will want to spend some time with, but it's worth it (at least it was to me). I've found myself going back to it and re-reading certain sections over the years so I'm glad I own my own copy. And if it turns out you hate it, you can donate it to your library!

Andrew Yes, you should read it. And you should definitely own a copy. I'm admittedly not the fastest reader, but I usually finish a book within a week, and Infinite Jest took me three months to read, each time I read it. It will completely absorb you, it will make you laugh out loud many times (actually laugh out loud, often on the subway, when other people are there to look at you and judge you). It's completely worth it.

David Couldrey Don't read it on the subway!

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies do the footnotes get annoying? do they detract or distract? I'm going to order it asap because you guys recommend it (i'm sure it will be worth it--I thought the same of the corrections and even though it went on a little in parts i was so glad i slugged through it) i'm anxious about the footnotes.

David Couldrey Be brave! Persist with the footnotes - at times you will hate Wallace but it's kinda tough love and EVENTUALLY (took me a couple of months) you'll finish it and even then the journey's not over - it's the months after you finish it when you keep thinking about it that it really starts to sink in somehow.

Honestly, it's some trip!

David Couldrey And get the edition with dave eggers' intro - it's very motivational when you're struggling with the book!

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies okay okay. I will do it. I will give it the 100 page try. Happy Thanksgiving ....if you celebrate it :)

David Couldrey Haha cheers, you too! And good luck with Infinite Jest - quite jealous actually (having to read a lot of things I don't want to for uni atm and could really do with a month or two with Wallace!)

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies glad i'm not having to do required reading for anything but sometimes i take my book reading so seriously it's as if i'm my own creative reading class. cheers to you too!

message 13: by Pete (last edited Nov 22, 2012 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pete Goch RE: the footnotes. They're meant to be somewhat aggravating. Sometimes it's just a little factoid from the PDR. Sometimes it's a long, extended and essential plot point. They're also often pretty amusing. It's also meant to be a kind of representation of the back and forth of a tennis match.

A hint: use two bookmarks. One to mark your place in the main text and one for the footnotes. It'll save you tons of time flipping pages to find the right footnote.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Pete, thank you for the advice. I'm going to order it; a little thanksgiving gift to myself, any excuse to buy a book. :) two bookmarks it is

message 15: by Lynne (new) - rated it 1 star

Lynne Sara, did you begin this doorstop? Oh man. If you can get through even HALF of this book you are made of sterner stuff than me. I spent weeks devotedly reading the word collection that is this book when I lifted my head and decided I don't care. And put it down, permanently.

I know there is a DFW fan club that won't quit, but I have to be honest: I don't get it. At all. The book reads like a youngish BiPolar man who wrote through his manic phases. Ugh.

David Couldrey all great books split opinion...

David Couldrey generally between those who actually finish the book and those who don't bother...

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Okay you two!!! I think I have to at least try. I believe books come into your life for a reason and should be read when the time if right. This book has been on my periphery for a while but I am both resistant, scared and quite curious about it. It at least deserves a try. I know after some thickness of pages whether to go on or not but will not feel bad if I don't make the cut. U guys rock for your thoughts :)

Johnathon Definitely try. I'm 15 and I finished it, so there's some motivation for you right there (if you're the competitive type). Then again, I took about a five month break in the middle, which I actually sort of recommend. I needed a break from DFW's ramblings. I thoroughly enjoyed it however, almost more than possible, and the ending is... Hard to understand, ambiguous, and a very sudden surprise. I finished it and legitimately thought I was missing pages.
Ok. Endrant.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Johnathon, this sounds like quite an accomplishment and yes I'm the competative type but not with reading.... but your opinion is invaluable and encouraging. :) I will try it after I get through the other 'bricks' I have on my night table. cheers!

message 21: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben This is one of my favorite books of all time, but I always feel the need to warn people before they dive
into it of the following:

1) There is no nicely tied together plot. It ends in the middle, begins somewhere near the end, and it requires a very careful reading to fill in the blanks.
2) The footnotes are copious and annoying, but actually pretty important to the plot.
3) This is a story about some very twisted people, and as such, some of the content can be very disturbing. In particular, there are two accounts of child sexual abuse, which left me feeling rather repulsed. I think this reaction is part of the comprehensive process of engaging with the book.

All that being said, it is, in my opinion, a modern literary masterpiece, and well worth the effort.

David Couldrey Agreed. Didn't know how to do a caution without a spoiler. There are some graphic scenes in this book, probs not for younger readers (watch them all go off and buy one!)

Had a similar problem with a younger reader of my book (who Goodreads gave me the address of - sort it out Goodreads and a 'like' button on comments as well please).

She still gave it 3 stars tho!

David Couldrey If you don't think you'll the book don't read it.

David Couldrey *like the book

Johnathon Sarah-
I didn't mean to boast. I was just mentioning it; I think you can do it, if you don't have other "bricks" you'd rather be reading. :-) I think that's the main issue. People start thinking about the fact that they could have read 4 or more books (even large ones) in the time that it's taking them to get through this one.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies It's ordered, en route from amazon. Deep breath.. it shall commence upon delivery :) we'll see if this 32 year old has it in her to machete her way through yay. exciting. scary. fun.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies It's ordered, en route from amazon. Deep breath.. it shall commence upon delivery :) we'll see if this 32 year old has it in her to machete her way through yay. exciting. scary. fun.

David Couldrey Did your local bookshop not stock it? They could probs do with the cash...Enjoy nonetheless though!

David Couldrey Amazon might need it too but they seem to be doing okay atm...

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies nope my local one is sans wallace, any of them actually I looked. amazon is a commerce monster. I probably finance their health insurance myself. oh well. it is conenient to have it delivered though.

David Couldrey Sarah can I give you a semi-spoiler so you don't have to actually read it? It's (as the title suggests) a bit of a joke but it's really well written...

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Don't You Dare!!!!!!!

Jerry Wolfram Sarah wrote: "do the footnotes get annoying? do they detract or distract? I'm going to order it asap because you guys recommend it (i'm sure it will be worth it--I thought the same of the corrections and even t..."

Some people view endnotes as a hindrance... In this book they are a feature! Read them as you go... Enjoy them, you will come back to some over and over!

Jerry Wolfram Sarah wrote: "Okay you two!!! I think I have to at least try. I believe books come into your life for a reason and should be read when the time if right. This book has been on my periphery for a while but I am ..."

If I could do it anyone can. It will make your brain itch, and you will laugh out loud! The hundred page test doesn't work though... It's 250, if you make it that far and don't want to go on it isn't for you.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Okay, fair enough. I will do 250 and then only then either surrender or continue on with the insanity.

Jerry Wolfram I will be interested in your thoughts as you go. By the way there are at least two group reads of IJ going on right now, if you are interested. One started the last week of November, any you would only be a little behind on that one, or one that has two start dates and schedules. One today, and one January 1. All you have to do is join the group, and jump right in. Both groups have a pretty easy schedule (about 15 to 20 pages a day!)

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies that's a good idea. I can ask all my questions and hopefully be in good company. I can't wait for the book to get here!!! amazon is slow sometimes.

David Couldrey Tell me about it...

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies that's a good idea. I can ask all my questions and hopefully be in good company. I can't wait for the book to get here!!! amazon is slow sometimes.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies in the meantime I'm reading The Sisters Brothers and it's pretty good.

Johnathon I love the sisters brothers. It's very... Interesting. Sort of a simple plot, though.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies that's the thing. I don't think it's a book that's read for plot. I think the beauty of the book comes from the simplicity of the language and Eli's thoughts. He's a great character and I could read him on and on. It's interesting yet not too much of anything. I love it.

Johnathon Towards the end, I think it turns into an allegory. We'll talk when you're done. :-)

David Couldrey I agree. I can't claim to completely understand the book but it was certainly a Goodread. Let's just leave it at that.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies i will be finishing it today

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Just finished. I liked it even though the ending wasn't exciting or conclusive or nice and tidy and I guess for those reasons it's fitting. The story wasn't about changing or achieving or realization as much as just a glimpse of life in different time period and the inner thoughts of a pretty interesting guy. I kinda wish for a sequel.

David Couldrey Sarah you are a quick reader! Can I have your number? X

David Couldrey https://www.facebook.com/worldreader PLEASE VOTE FOR THIS. I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!

David Couldrey (especially if you give me your number Sarah)

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies lol. I do read fast, kinda. when it's a book i really like. I have to work at it though. I get up super early to read and also read late into the night. I don't watch tv because books are my entertainment. I voted for your worldreader thing. happy :)

« previous 1