Q&A with Gail Z. Martin Oct. 24 - 31 discussion

What is your writing process like

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Soteris (new)

Soteris  (SenseiRemo) | 1 comments Hi Gail, what sort of writing process do you have? Are you a planner or do you go with the flow of the story as it comes to you?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Martin (GailZMartin) | 52 comments Mod
A little of both. I find it helpful to do an outline (and my publisher requires it!), but it's not surprising to deviate from that outline as the story evolves. The outline is often rather vague, since I usually am clear on the beginning, middle and end of a book and a little wobbly on how to get between those parts when I begin. if I get stuck, I will outline the next chapter or two in detail to get going again.

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 5 comments I know how my novel is going to end and I outline the major plot points only. I figure out the rest as I go along.

For instance, in my latest, "Mistress of the Topaz," I knew that Aryoso-Run King of Roude-Kii would switch sides, from being an ally of Nobalos to being an ally of the World-Queen (the Mistress of the title), but I didn't figure out how or why until I was 75 per cent finished with the first draft.

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail Martin (GailZMartin) | 52 comments Mod
We talk about this in my Thrifty Author Meetup group on the divide between "pantser and plotter" meaning seat of the pants vs. outline. And most of us decided we did both, depending on the situation.

message 5: by Jason Hunt (new)

Jason Hunt | 3 comments I just write and let it come out as it will. When my brain is finally done using my hands I go back through and read it over, making changes, swapping out areas, reworking things to fit. I don't think I have ever managed to follow an outline. So I guess that makes me a 'pantser'