Read 100+ Books in 2012 discussion

November's challenge

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 215 comments Mod
Can you believe the year is drawing to a close? It's November and, hopefully, this month I can count.

1. Read the 11th book of a series or an author.
2. Read a book with a N-O-V-E-M-B-R in the title or author's name.
3. In honor of Veteran's Day or Armistice Day, read a book about WWI.
4. In the US November has Thanksgiving so read a book about something you are thankful for.
5. Read a book about farms.
6. Read a books about mountains.
7. Read a book about England.
8. Read a book about a place you would like to live.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) good choices again sheila. I'm savouring my way through Wolf Hall so that will be a book about England

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments And how many more shopping days 'til Christmas???

4. In the US November has Thanksgiving so read a book about something you are thankful for.
9. Your choice

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "And how many more shopping days 'til Christmas???

3. In honor of Veteran's Day or..."

I don't want to think about Christmas yet. I'm waiting to get through Halloween's trick or treating on Saturday. It was put back because of Sandy. It's still raining here--5 straight days. I need the sun and soon. I just watched It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I'm happy.

message 5: by Sheila (last edited Nov 30, 2012 08:13PM) (new)

Now my choices:

5/9, 12 books

2. Read a book with a N-O-V-E-M-B-R in the title or author's name--My Scandalous Viscount by Gaelen Foley--finished 11/14/12.
4. In the US November has Thanksgiving so read a book about something you are thankful for--File M for Murder by Miranda James.
5. Read a book about farms--Abby Finds Her Calling by Naomi King.
6. Read a books about mountains--Cabin Fever by Diana Hunter--finished 11/5/12.
7. Read a book about England--The Wild Wood Enquiry by Ann Purser--finished 11/24/12.
8. Read a book about a place you would like to live--Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick--finished 11/29/12.
9. Your choice--Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond--finished 11/19/12.

Bonus
Thieves! by Hannah Dennison--finished 11/2/12
The Last Rising by Rachel Firasek--finished 11/4/12
Best Night Ever by Keara Kevay--finished 11/12/12
Pilot and Huxley: The First Adventure by Dan McGuiness--finished 11/27/12
Her Cowboy Stud by Randi Alexander--finished 11/30/12
Her Temptress by T K Turner--finished 11/30/12
Her Majesty's Maiden by Michelle Houston--finished 11/30/12

message 6: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Sheila wrote: "Now my choices:

2. Read a book with a N-O-V-E-M-B-R in the title or author's name--My Scandalous Viscount by Gaelen Foley.
3. In honor of Veteran's ..."

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" was certainly an interesting read - Made one think.

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments My first book for this month . . .

9. Your choice
"The Night Eternal" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, Book 3 of "The Strain Trilogy."

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "My first book for this month . . .

3. In honor of Veteran's Day or Armistice Day,..."

Since you are reading book 3 of The Strain Trilogy, I'm assuming you read the rest. How was the first book? I just got it and was wondering how good it is.

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "My first book for this month . . .

3. In honor of Veteran's Day or ..."

Just started Book 3, Book 1 was my favorite - Book 2 was just ok until the end. All the characters are all so different but with one common goal - to survive and find a way to destroy The Master.

I enjoy reading this type of story and if interested, try The Passage by Justin Cronin, 5/5 stars!

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "My first book for this month . . .

3. In honor of Ve..."

When I worked at the bookstore, my manager loved The Passage and, somehow, the publisher sent a copy for each member of the staff. I have a copy of The Passage (it's huge!) and I just bought the second book in the series. I think it's called The Twelve. Something tells me these are books for snowed in weekends.

message 11: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Yes they are - I found "The Passage" hard to put down . . . too many questions left unanswered at the end. Hopefully "The Twelve" answers them.

message 12: by Kristy (last edited Nov 18, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Kristy | 89 comments 1. Read the 11th book of a series or an author.
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton by Kate Morton

9. Your choice.

Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2) by Tami Hoag by Tami Hoag

message 13: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments 1. Read the 11th book of a series or an author.
"Red Light" by T. Jefferson Parker
9. Your choice
"The Night Eternal" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, Book 3 of "The Strain Trilogy."

Finished reading "The Night Eternal, 4/5 Stars! Now reading "Red Light" by T. Jefferson Park, Book 2 of the Merci Rayburn series.

message 14: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Chuck wrote: "My first book for this month . . .

3. ..."

I'm going to be reading these too - have them both in audiobook format!!

message 15: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Now reading "Beyond Reach" by Karin Slaughter.

"In a stifling hospital room in a small Georgia town, Detective Lena Adams sits, silent and angry—the only suspect in a horrific murder. Soon, a hundred miles away, Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver will get the call that his young detective has been arrested. And Jeffrey’s wife, pediatrician and medical examiner Sara Linton, has troubles of her own and little patience for Lena or her dramas. Fighting a heartbreaking malpractice suit, Sara cannot guess that within days she herself will be at the center of a bizarre and murderous case.

For Lena has fled back to the place where she grew up hard, careening back through the shadows of her past and into a shocking underground world of bigotry and rage. And now only Jeffrey and Sara can free Lena from the web of lies and brutality that has trapped her—as this powerhouse of a novel races toward its shattering climax…and a final, unforgettable twist."

message 16: by Chuck (new)

9. Your choice
"Beyond Reach" by Karin Slaughter.

message 17: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments My november book count is sitting at 1.25 and holding. Starting to doubt I'm going to make it to 100 books this year.

message 18: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Kristy wrote: "My november book count is sitting at 1.25 and holding. Starting to doubt I'm going to make it to 100 books this year."

Same hear Kristy - I'll try for 75 books this year.

message 19: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 89 comments Chuck wrote: "Kristy wrote: "My november book count is sitting at 1.25 and holding. Starting to doubt I'm going to make it to 100 books this year."

Same hear Kristy - I'll try for 75 books this year."

I'm proud of myself for making it to 90! I honestly don't even feel like picking up a book right now! My husband had a medical emergency on Friday and has been in the hospital since Friday morning and the little amount of time I've been home, all I've wanted to do is stare at the TV and zone out.

He's going to be fine, though. Just been very stressful around here.

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Kristy wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Kristy wrote: "My november book count is sitting at 1.25 and holding. Starting to doubt I'm going to make it to 100 books this year."

Same hear Kristy - I'll try for 75 books this ye..."

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Hope he's home soon.

message 21: by Chuck (new)

"The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach
9. Your choice

Now reading "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach - Thankful for America's pastime, baseball!

At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended.

Henry's fight against self-doubt threatens to ruin his future. College president Guert Affenlight, a longtime bachelor, has fallen unexpectedly and helplessly in love. Owen Dunne, Henry's gay roommate and teammate, becomes caught up in a dangerous affair. Mike Schwartz, the Harpooners' team captain and Henry's best friend, realizes he has guided Henry's career at the expense of his own. And Pella Affenlight, Guert's daughter, returns to Westish after escaping an ill-fated marriage, determined to start a new life.

As the season counts down to its climactic final game, these five are forced to confront their deepest hopes, anxieties, and secrets. In the process they forge new bonds, and help one another find their true paths. Written with boundless intelligence and filled with the tenderness of youth, The Art of Fielding is an expansive, warmhearted novel about ambition and its limits, about family and friendship and love, and about commitment--to oneself and to others.

message 22: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments More books to read!
"Runaway" by Alice Munro
9. Your choice

Now reading "Runaway" by Alice Munro, a collection of short stories.

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "More books to read!
"Runaway" by Alice Munro
3...."

What did you think of T. Jefferson Parker's writing? I have a book of his but I don't know anything about him.

message 24: by Sheila (new)

I finished Guns, Germs, and Steel. It was dry but interesting. It seems as though it was the same things that kept one society as conquered and another as conqueror. It comes down to food and resources.

message 25: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Chuck wrote: "More books to read!
"Runaway" by Alice Munro
3...."

Since I'm a huge mystery fan I really enjoy has writing. Many of his stories take place in Orange County, about 60 minutes of where we live in Southern California. So I'm familiar with the locations he's describing.

I also had the opportunity to hear him speak last year with John Standford on a panel.

message 26: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Enjoy this holiday with your family and friends!

message 27: by Sheila (new)

Chuck wrote: "Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Enjoy this holiday with your family and friends!"

You, too, Chuck. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

message 28: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Putting together my "Wish List" for Christmas - Decisions, decisions!

"Runaway" by Alice Munro - A selection of 8 short stories taking place in British Columbia and the city of Vancouver.
9. Your choice

Finished "The Art of Fielding" and almost finished with "Runaway" by Alice Munro.

message 29: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) been a bit poorly - cold and now asthma so haven't been around - been playing around with my new kindle for a month and bought and downloaded a lot.....plus wolf hall is a mega of a read to get through and only 100 pages of it to go.....(hooray)

logged on to update my reads = looking forward to dec choices and hope to see the old year out on a roll.....

will say have enjoyed our group albeit small and selective lol and hope we will carry on next year?

message 30: by Sheila (new)

Manda wrote: "been a bit poorly - cold and now asthma so haven't been around - been playing around with my new kindle for a month and bought and downloaded a lot.....plus wolf hall is a mega of a read to get thr..."

Hope you'll be up and feeling better soon. How was Wolf Hall? I hope to do it next year. Might have to start a new group if I can't figure out how to change the name of the group. Might be better to start a new group anyway. Suggestions?

message 31: by Chuck (last edited Nov 28, 2012 05:38PM) (new)

"The Invisible Ones" by Stef Penney
"Runaway" by Alice Munro - A selection of 8 short stories taking place in British Columbia and the city of Vancouver.
9. Your choice

Finished with "Runaway" by Alice Munro and now reading "The Invisible Ones" by Stef Penney.

"Small-time private investigator Ray Lovell veers between paralysis and delirium in a hospital bed. But before the accident that landed him there, he'd been hired to find Rose Janko, the wife of a charismatic son of a traveling Gypsy family, who went missing seven years earlier. Half Romany himself, Ray is well aware that he's been chosen more for his blood than his investigative skills. Still, he's surprised by the intense hostility he encounters from the Jankos, who haven't had an easy past. Touched by tragedy, they're either cursed or hiding a terrible secret-whose discovery Ray can't help suspecting is connected to Rose's disappearance."

message 32: by Sheila (new)

I just finished Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick. Very emotional but really good. A stranger comes to town and everything changes for the people living there. Definitely one that will stay with me. The writing is beautiful.

message 33: by Manda (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) Sheila wrote: "Manda wrote: "been a bit poorly - cold and now asthma so haven't been around - been playing around with my new kindle for a month and bought and downloaded a lot.....plus wolf hall is a mega of a r..."

i say start a new group........