UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Happy Hallowe'en!

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 31, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments We want to hear about or see pictures of your costumes, your jack o lanterns, your decorations!

Failing that, stories about the naughtiness you've got up to.

At the very least, tell us about your favourite scary books.

Me, I'll be reading EA Poe today.

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments Here's some Halloween fun! Hull based band Route 66 with a mystery guest vocalist (ahem!) perform a spooky little number...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8PyOy...

Route 66 is a mixed ability community band, in which musicians with physical and/or learning disabilities play alongside able bodied musicians. They play entirely original material, sometime on hand-made traditional skiffle instruments constructed in community workshops. They are frequent live performers in the Hull area and have recently been on local and regional TV with their song Fruit 66.

I recorded some live sessions and played some gigs with them last year and it was the *best fun ever*! Now I just get to be their superfan in the South :-/

So, good people, big it up for the amazing Route 66!!!

message 3: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (ShaunJeffrey) | 2467 comments Hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween. Me, I'll be working - just won't say working at what ;)

message 4: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Happy Halloween everyone !!!

Shaun my guess is you'll saying a lot of muhahas

message 5: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Brilliant Jenny,that looked like fun.
Go on Shaun.....Share.I'll give you an apple!
Happy Halloween all!
I'll recite a poem:
I saw a coo......It's no thair noo!

message 6: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments I've done nothing for Halloween and forgot it was Halloween today until I saw Google.

Makes me a little sad. Halloween is a bit of a funny holiday anyway.

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments Sarah, an old man from Northern Ireland I used to know would recite the following:

On yonder hill there stood a cow
The cow's gone, she's not there now

For some reason this was hilarious every time!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4270 comments We never made a big thing of Halloween when I was younger, & as nieces & nephew all live away I've never got into the celebrations.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments if we have started on that sort of poetry here's my contribution

we walked down the lane together
the sky was all studded with stars
we reached the gate in silence and for her i loosed the bars
she did not smile nor thank me, for she knew not how
for i was only a farmer's boy
and she was a hereford cow

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 1761 comments Today I'm writing a Christmas story instead, but there's horror and action aplenty. Tonight I'll probably play some zombie-based computer game. I'm a wee bit ill, so tucked up at home you see.

message 11: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments Jenny (Border Dweller) wrote: "Sarah, an old man from Northern Ireland I used to know would recite the following:

On yonder hill there stood a cow
The cow's gone, she's not there now

For some reason this was hilarious every time!"

That's cause every non-Irish person laughs when we say words like cow, now, shower, flour, flower, brown, town, down etc...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Andrew wrote: "Today I'm writing a Christmas story instead, but there's horror and action aplenty. Tonight I'll probably play some zombie-based computer game. I'm a wee bit ill, so tucked up at home you see."

Awww poor Andrew. :(

You need many teeny Mars bars.

message 13: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 1761 comments I certainly need the sodding builders to knock it off - they're doing some work on the landlord's conservatory over my flat and it's fracturing my mind!

message 14: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments In the Celtic world tonight marks the Samhain Festival - the start of the Celtic New Year - So happy Samhain to you all!
(I promise I won't mention my hf book set in 499bc here)

We had a get together at the weekend:

And a not very scary druid was there:

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Here is a Facebook album of photos from the party I went to. I think it is set to public now so anyone with a FB account can see them.
The house decorations were incredible and so many people went all out on their costumes
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

message 16: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Loved the cow poetry,it made me smile! A toffee apple anyone?

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Beetlejuice, beetlejuice, BEETLEJUSTWAITONE SECOND

Oh no you don't.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Loved the cow poetry,it made me smile! A toffee apple anyone?"

Yes please. And a toothbrush.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (SteveRobinson) | 2930 comments I bought loads of treats for the the lovely little monsters last year and not one showed up. I didn't get anything this year so I'm sure the doorbell won't stop ringing. Actually I do have a bag of M&S Percy Pigs, but there mine, all mine!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Steve wrote: "I bought loads of treats for the the lovely little monsters last year and not one showed up. I didn't get anything this year so I'm sure the doorbell won't stop ringing. Actually I do have a bag ..."

Yep, Percy pigs are for personal consumption only! I love those things!

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Actually, you only live down the road. If you only have Percy Pigs maybe I will come trick or treating at your door :-) x

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments I just realised that one year ago tonight I was on the island all dressed up with amazing face paint that my friend had done, wandering around the camp scaring the living crap out of superstitious Nigerians. I was the clown from IT.

That was fun. :)

I'm so making sure we do a party next year!

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelDiack) | 185 comments Happy Halloween guys. No dressing up for me tonight as I'm at work, although I will be growing my mustache for Movember - and it's already turning a scary shade of ginger, which is truly frightening. Scariest book for me is still The Woman in Black, my spine is tingling now just thinking about it. Perhaps reading it alone in a big house didn't help either.

Have a fun Halloween everyone :)

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve Robinson (SteveRobinson) | 2930 comments Emma (Emz) wrote: "Actually, you only live down the road. If you only have Percy Pigs maybe I will come trick or treating at your door :-) x"

But I've only got one bag. :o(
S'pose I could share. Wait... What am I talking about. They're Percy Pigs. MY Percy Pigs. Sorry Em.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Steve.

Don't make me bite all the tails off your pigs.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelDiack) | 185 comments Very true Steve, one does not simply share Percy Pigs.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Michael wrote: "Happy Halloween guys. No dressing up for me tonight as I'm at work, although I will be growing my mustache for Movember - and it's already turning a scary shade of ginger, which is truly frighteni..."

Oooooo Michael!

Would be cool if a bunch of guys in the group would join you in that!

Why not start a facial hair thread? Please?

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Steve wrote: "Emma (Emz) wrote: "Actually, you only live down the road. If you only have Percy Pigs maybe I will come trick or treating at your door :-) x"

But I've only got one bag. :o(
S'pose I could share. ..."

It's ok Steve, I understand, I would be exactly the same :-)

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelDiack) | 185 comments OK. I'll set one up now ;)

message 30: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments I'm not doing anything halloweeny tonight, I have panto rehearsals

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments No Emz! Don't let him off so lightly!

Yes Michael we do share Percy Pigs.

(I have no idea what a Percy Pig is)

*blushes*

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Patti!!!!!! How can you not know what Percy Pigs are?
It is the law in my household whenever anyone is in Marks and Spencer they HAVE to buy a pack!

message 33: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments I like the fizzy tails best

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Patti, you have to put Percy Pigs on Dave's shopping list :-)

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I like the fizzy tails best"

Mmmmmmmmm yeah, I could go a bag of fizzy tails right now :-)

message 36: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments You're making me want them... I can't get to Marksies tonight :o(

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61382 comments Emma (Emz) wrote: "Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I like the fizzy tails best"

Mmmmmmmmm yeah, I could go a bag of fizzy tails right now :-)"

Lmao! I bet you could!

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments Hmm, trick or treating may be rained off tonight, and I've got two keen little trickster here - a witch and a "bampire".

While we are waiting for the rain to stop, here's what we had for tea:

Pumpkin Soup

The flesh of one pumpkin (use the shell to make a lantern, of course!)
1 onion, chopped
1 medium potato, diced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon curry powder of your preferred strength
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon dessicated coconut or creamed coconut
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 litres good quality veg stock

Fry the onion in olive oil until it starts to go translucent. Then add the spices and fry for 1 minute.

Add all the rest of the ingredients, simmer for 1-2 hours then blitz with a hand blender.

Enjoy!

message 39: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 2775 comments Scary stories? I would strongly recommend "Oh whistle, and I'll come to you" (if I've got the title right)

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments A soggy witch and vampire now have lots of sweeties. Once they're in bed I'll finish reading The Graveyard Book. And drink gin.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4270 comments Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "No Emz! Don't let him off so lightly!

*blushes*"

Me neither, but looking at the replies to this it would look as though it is something to do with M & S.

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3410 comments As I was leaving the house at 8 this morning, my little brother (6) asked for a pumpkin. I have spent all day looking and not found a single one

Happy Halloween everyone!

message 44: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments Scratch my plans in now with a sick puppy waiting for him to finish eating grass...

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments Oh no Jud, I hope he is well soon.

message 46: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments He made himself sick with he grass so he should be ok now

message 47: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 1669 comments What happens to all the abandoned jack'o'lanterns when no one loves them any more?

message 48: by Philip (last edited Oct 31, 2012 11:55PM) (new)

Philip Whiteland | 2775 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Patti (Migrating Coconut) wrote: "No Emz! Don't let him off so lightly!

*blushes*"

Me neither, but looking at the repli..."

Or S & M?

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments We were all thinking it!