Books I Want To Talk About discussion

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
This topic is about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
Archives > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I loved this book. I really felt like I could relate to Oskar and that Foer did a good job giving us Oskar's perspective! I have to say though, it was a little hard to get through at times--I loved the parts about Oskar but didn't so much enjoy the letters. What did everyone else think?

Meghan | 423 comments Mod
I've seen this cover but I never took a look. It sounds really interesting. I'm a huge fan of NYC too. Did it give a good sense of the city? Also, how did you feel it handled the 9-11 issue? Did Foer stick to just giving the impressions of the Americans or did he get political? Just wondering.

Rose Ann I agree about the letters Jen.
Meghan...from what I remember, it was more about Oskar mourning his father, then about 9-11.
It took a bit to get used to, who was talking when.
I really enjoyed this book, without adding too much more...I dont want to mention anything I shouldnt...its been awhile.

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward (dword) | 14 comments It's been months but I don't remember a strong sense of "New York"-ness to the book. Of course, it's seen from a young boy's point of view. 9-11 added poignancy to the experience but a father's sudden death or disappearance by any means could have worked. No politics that I recall. I really felt a sympathetic connection and sorrow for the boy and admired his determination to make sense of his loss.

Meghan | 423 comments Mod
Hmmmm...I'm an emotional reader--sounds like a box of kleenex is needed. But you've definitely hooked me. sigh. My to-read pile is getting much too high!

Rose Ann Mine too Meghan...lol

There are pictures througout the book...if you dont look ahead at pictures in books...dont read what I'm going to write next...lol

I found the pictures at the end of the book interesting...I liked how the photos were reversed, so that the person was going up...not down.

message 8: by Edward (new)

Edward (dword) | 14 comments Pictures? I listened to an audio book. Now I have another library assignment! It will be interesting to see if it changes my perception.

It's so good to have this kind of exchange...

Sally (mrsnolte) I'm loving this book - it's not "sucking me in" like some, but it is a wonderfully peaceful respite from homework for a hour or two here or there.
I just love Oskar so much already, and my heart aches for him.
When his boots get heavy...

Sarah (songgirl7) | 284 comments Mod
Hi, Sally! *waves*

Sally (mrsnolte) Hi Sarah! I'm loving investigating your group. It is fun finding new people.