Rogue Readers - So. OR discussion

Williams branch Library is open and thriving, TY

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisahorn) Hi Phoenix friends! Williams is small rural community not far from Provolt/Applegate and I just joined this group, because Phoenix is in our bio-region, and I'm trying to get ideas to help to open our local library, closed I forget, maybe year and half.

Tonight , a meeting with Friends of the Josephine county Library( just recently reopened in Grants Pass, OR, coming to our little town Grange at 7 pm to brainstorm with us how to open/fund our Williams Library, which is one room and small.

Grants Pass just opened after privatizing, running with 1-2 paid staff and volunteers, a few of whom work unpaid, 40 hours a week.

Open to any ideas about how to fund, and glad you all were able to keep your libraries open.

For some reason, Jackson County has more funding for things than nearby Josephine county, and I still don't know why, we are so close to each other and it is a beautiful place to live, though sometimes rugged.

Less business here for sure, but any way, our intent is to open the Library, it is next to the school and the children really miss it.

Thanks for any ideas, or just a good vibe. Was glad to find you here, cheers, Lisa H.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisahorn) PS. I wasn't meaning to use up your space, hope you don't mind me posting this here, but i thought it was related topic.

anyways, if you need your space for your board or for any reason want to delete, please do, won't be offended.

You've inspired me, perhaps will start a group here for the Williams Library! thanks so much L. H.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (quitewhimsical) Libraries being closed is such a sad thing. I grew up in a city so it was hard for me to fathom. I'm thankful that I'm in Jackson county and ours is back up and running. I'm sorry I do not have any tips or ideas, but I will keep positive thoughts for you and the rest in josephine county.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisahorn) Update: The Williams library was reopened as a branch of Josephine Community Library, Inc., based in Grants Pass, a mostly volunteer-run library, paid for by donations and very few grants, a not-for- profit library group. It is not paid for by the county government at this point, because that county is mostly broke as of this writing. A committed group of people have opened and kept it open, because they believe as I do that books should be available to all, even in the "digital age".

Please feel free to donate money or your time whenever you can, it is expensive to run and doesn't pay for itself.

So grateful to those who are committed to this project and who give their heart and soul to keep our libraries open.

Thank you for letting me comment here.

message 6: by Howard (new)

Howard (onerule) | 9 comments Send me more details and we'll get the word out to our data base in Jos County. Also there is a bookstore in Medford with loads of free books if needed.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jun 06, 2014 01:37PM) (new)

Lisa (lisahorn) TY and just letting you know that with the efforts of an awesome group of people in the community, Josephine Community Libraries, Inc. (non-profit),
we are now re-opened and thriving! There is a facebook page, Williams branch of Josephine Community Libraries, if you want to see what is going on.

"committed people" get everything done these days! thank heavens for those people. All the best, LH