Divide by Zero discussion

That Long and Winding Road > Un-pub, self-pub, e-pub, indie-pub...

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 5 comments Mod
If you're a writer, where are you on that long and winding road to publication? If you're a reader, where do you select your books to read? Does the author have to have reached the magical end of the road before you'll read their books, or are you willing to give self-published authors a chance? What decides whether you'll take a risk and read something by someone unknown?

message 2: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (ARBraun) | 2 comments I'm coming up on the five year mark of being a serious author, and I haven't got much to show for it, just 12 short story pubs (10 aren't even out yet). I'm getting ready to self-publish my first book. As a reader, I'm always willing to give new, self-published authors a chance, as I'm going to want someone to give me a chance one day, and it would be hypocritical to not spend money on them. Otherwise, I have a list of authors I can depend on to kick butt every time, and they aren't big-six authors. They've got contracts with small publishers. For the most part, when I find authors I like, I stick with them.

message 3: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (ARBraun) | 2 comments I mean two publications aren't out yet, not ten.

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 5 comments Mod
I guess most writers are readers too. I read (and review, and enjoy) a lot of self-published books, but I tend to be reluctant to start a new series until there are at least three or four books in print. I got stung when the kids were little and I started reading a trilogy with them where book three was never published.