The Sword and Laser discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video- #14 Pt. 2- 'Cloud Atlas' Wrap-Up & Your Feedback

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Before you head to the theatres to see the film adaptation of Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, join us in the space pub as we wrap-up our October pick and check in with everyone on GoodReads!

http://youtu.be/zMkeZJQu_Uo

Enjoy!

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5143 comments Mod
Sadly I had my wisdom teeth out today, so I don't know when I'll be seeing the film. Good video though.

Now back to pain meds and ice cream!

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments Dirty Streets of Heaven is the laser pick? Scifi -- really?? Tor calls it urban fantasy.

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2240 comments Mod
Anne wrote: "Dirty Streets of Heaven is the laser pick? Scifi -- really?? Tor calls it urban fantasy."

It is definitely a sword book. As is December's book.
We don't always alternate between the 2 genres.
August was our last real sword book, so Fantasy is due.

message 5: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 639 comments Rob wrote: "Sadly I had my wisdom teeth out today, so I don't know when I'll be seeing the film. Good video though.

Now back to pain meds and ice cream!"

I would rather have my Wisdom teeth out than read anymore of this book. The movie has to be better though right?

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5143 comments Mod
I liked the book well enough, and feeling pretty good today, though I'm leery to eat like normal. I don't want to mess up the clotting and end up with dry socket.

Either way I'd happily read the book several times rather than having my wisdom teeth out again, despite how easy it seems to be going so far.

message 7: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 27, 2012 08:51AM) (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments I'm pretty sure David Mitchell has said in interviews that he meant the (view spoiler) stuff to be real (but he could be wrong), and he's also listed what authors he was trying to imitate. There's links in other threads somewhere.

Oh, John Barnes is the same guy writing those post apocalyptic books like Directive 51, that I have zero interest in reading. I might check out Orbital Resonance though.

EDIT: Not on ebook. Lame.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Anne wrote: "Dirty Streets of Heaven is the laser pick? Scifi -- really?? Tor calls it urban fantasy."

We don't always alternate between the 2..."

Cloud Atlas -- scifi? Really?? Surely not.

Maybe there will be something of interest in 2013. See y'all then.

message 9: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments I ordered an old paperback copy of Orbital Resonance from Amazon. Hope I like it.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Well now I feel responsible. If you don't like it, PM me, Tama. I will refund your money.

message 11: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 29, 2012 10:18AM) (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments Ok, get your 10 bucks ready.

How come your video is unlisted in youtube? Is it pirated, lol?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2274 comments I looked all over the website for this, but only find it in GoodReads. Do we get a jump on new episodes here?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2274 comments Also to T&V- as someone who whined for more "actual book discussion" in the past, I wanted to say that I'm enjoying that element of the book club episodes. So thanks for listening!

message 14: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1509 comments Mod
Anne wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "Anne wrote: "Dirty Streets of Heaven is the laser pick? Scifi -- really?? Tor calls it urban fantasy."

We don't always alt..."

Hah. I enjoy how all of your posts in this thread are just incredulous comments about the genre specifications. Sorry they're not up to snuff for you.

message 15: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1016 comments Mod
July-Laser Leviathan Wakes
August - Sword - Assasins Apprentice
September -Laser Foundation
October - Laser-ish (Conceptual Fiction)- Cloud atlas
November - Sword-ish (Urban Fantasy) - Dirty Streets of Heaven
December - Sword - Hobbit
January - Laser TBD

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments Great episode as usual. Keep those white board reviews coming. So how does it work Aaron - is it you just so happened to have read the books and authors Tom asks you to review or do you have like a week or two of intense reading to get it together?

message 17: by Brandon (new) - added it

Brandon Zarzyczny (BigZ7337) | 5 comments I ended up not wanting to read the book before seeing the movie, so I didn't join in this month's book club, though I did enjoy the video.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments David Sven wrote: "So how does it work Aaron - is it you just so happened to have read the books and authors Tom asks you to review or do you have like a week or two of intense reading to get it together?"

So far I've been lucky. Tom & Veronica have been booking such remarkable guests that they've already been on my bookshelves. That holds true for the next several guests as well.

message 19: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments loved the show! Great to see some CJ Cherryh on the set!!!

message 20: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 5096 comments It finally came in the mail: