Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer > Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer - Reading Schedule

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynnm (last edited Oct 24, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Lynnm | 923 comments I thought we could do Jon Krakauer's book about Chris McCandless' ill-fated trip into the wilds of Alaska in two parts:

November 1-November 10 - Chapters 1-9
November 11-20 - Chapters 10-Epilogue

Then, we can discuss the film based on the book from November 21 through November 30.

What do you all think?

message 2: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 923 comments I am very excited about this read. Yes, people criticize Chris for what he did. But I truly find his story inspirational.

And I love the film. Love love love it! :-)

Hopefully, we will have a number of people who will participate.

message 3: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 923 comments My area is supposed to be hit by a big storm. If I am a little late post a new thread for the start of the read, don't worry, I didn't forget. I just might be a little late if I don't have power.

I hope a number of people plan on joining in on the read. It's a good book, and again, I think in many ways an inspirational story of a young man who looks to nature to find himself.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1036 comments Mod
I read the book and saw the movie back when they first came out. I remember feeling great sympathy with Chris McCandless. Most people seemed to think of him in the same way they thought of Timothy Treadway, whom I also appreciated. Treadway, of course, was the Grizzly Man in Werner Herzog's famous documentary.

message 5: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 923 comments Jimmy wrote: "I read the book and saw the movie back when they first came out. I remember feeling great sympathy with Chris McCandless. Most people seemed to think of him in the same way they thought of Timothy ..."

Never knew that the Grizzly Man's name was Timothy Treadway.

Again, just love the book. And also appreciate how Chris was draw to the great thinkers...Thoreau, Tolstoy, etc. And Krakauer does a great job incorporating quotes from those texts into the book.

Speaking of, because of rereading Into the Wild in the last couple months, I also starting rereading Thoreau's Walden. Just love that book. And it has been awhile since I last read Walden.

message 6: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1036 comments Mod
Sorry, Timothy Treadwell.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.