Classics Without All the Class discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > New format, new rules, new bookshelves

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karena (last edited Nov 07, 2013 10:17PM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) So as some of you have seen we proposed changing the format of the book rotation. To make things a bit easier this is how it'll be:
1. pre-1910
2. 1911 - 1959
3. 1960- 2004

We may add special categories into the rotation, just for fun. Keep your eyes peeled!

Keep adding suggestions to the threads. We'll add new ones to the rotations. Also, you now can go to the bookshelves to see what's been suggested.
There is a set of guidelines we're following to keep things from getting too crazy.

1. Nothing published after 2004. Please feel free to ask if you are unsure if a book falls under the category of "classic." This can be an especially difficult issue for contemporary classics.
2. No children's novels
3. No non-fiction
4. No poetry
5. No dramas (plays) - not even Shakespeare or Dante's Inferno!

To select which books are going on the polls we've added the books to a spreadsheet, assigned it a number then run the numbers through this random integers website. To keep things fair, we're no longer allowing write ins. We decided it's not fair for people to add their suggestions, not get picked for the poll and then others can just add theirs to the poll. So we'll pick 5 randomly and we'll go from there.

Thanks from Jeane and I for sticking with us. As you know, we're relatively new at this and what worked with a small number on Facebook isn't going to work with the bigger group we have now on Goodreads. Any suggestions shoot them to our email. feedback.classics@gmail.com.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 13 comments I really like the way that you changd how the books are going to be selected It makes it fair being random and actually makes it a nice surprise to see what gets picked that way for us to vote on. Good Job Guys!

message 3: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Karen wrote: "I really like the way that you changd how the books are going to be selected It makes it fair being random and actually makes it a nice surprise to see what gets picked that way for us to vote on. ..."

Thanks Karen!

message 4: by Grandpa Joe (new)

Grandpa Joe | 42 comments Perhaps we could select books 3 months or 6 months ahead of time so that all times we would always know what our selections are for each of the next three months or for each of the next six months.

That way, if we pick a particularly long book - War and Peace might be an example - we will have ample opportunity to plan our reading schedule so that we get the book read before it is time to discuss it.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Degraaf (ldegraaf) | 12 comments Judson wrote: "Perhaps we could select books 3 months or 6 months ahead of time so that all times we would always know what our selections are for each of the next three months or for each of the next six months...."

I agree with this idea. Also, this would allow those that know they are going to have a busy month to get a head start reading so that they can participate in the discussion.

message 6: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Lisa wrote: "Judson wrote: "Perhaps we could select books 3 months or 6 months ahead of time so that all times we would always know what our selections are for each of the next three months or for each of the n..."

Judson wrote: "Perhaps we could select books 3 months or 6 months ahead of time so that all times we would always know what our selections are for each of the next three months or for each of the next six months...."

You know I am kind of liking this idea! I'm moving it to a new thread to get some more feedback! Thanks!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 13 comments I like that idea!

message 8: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I just wanted to make sure everyone knows, anyone can start a topic. Have something to say, DO IT. Get some dialogue started

message 9: by Travis sivarT (last edited Dec 08, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) With the 3 month advance selection I wonder if we could at times be more than one book a month. Example. Too many children classic suggestions they could be a quick read. For instance this month Christmas Carol was quite short we could have read 2 easily without burdening the group with too much reading. Or if a longer say Tolstoy was selected maybe that woild be a 2 month read with a couple shorter. Example War and Peace that could be 2 months to read with Where the Wild Things Are and Charlottes Web as each a monthly quick read but if a book deserves a full month on its own therr would be no quick read. Just a way to knock down the to read list and the childrens list and balance out the reading a little. Just a thought. With picking books 3 months ahead there is plenty of time to look at whats upcoming and decide if we would want a quick read for a given month. Could call it the Quick Kids Classic or something

message 10: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) A similar but different option is to take any books over 700 pages and do them as group scheduled reads in conjunction with the monthly reads. There would be amonthly read but longer books would be 100 pages a week 700 - 7 weeks 900 - 9 weeks and so on

message 11: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Travis, I just wanted to let you know I saw this. I can't say yay or nay at this moment because my partner-in-crime with all this is in the black hole of term papers and is incommunicado ATM. Monday she should be back and we can start a dialogue about this. I can say we have started toying with a similar idea, but it would not be every month.

I do have to say I appreciated the shortness of A Christmas Carol this month due to the holidays and everything that entails. We are trying to keep this laid back to a certain extent. Hence the "without all the class." For some, if it starts to feel like an obligation, it loses the appeal.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. We can see if we can take your suggestions and apply them.

message 12: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) I understand completely many including myself are also in other groups and don't want to lay it on too thick. At the same time there are some very long books I don't want to tackle in one month either. Our trusty leaders aee the backbone keeping this group together so I support whatever your decision is and appreciate all the work you guys do to keep this group running

message 13: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) One of the first groups I looked into did yearly and monthly challenges and 4 monthly reads. December they had 4 regular 5 for their challenge and i think a group.read running. It would of been 10 or 11 books and I was quick to not sign up for that.

message 14: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Travis of NNY wrote: "I understand completely many including myself are also in other groups and don't want to lay it on too thick. At the same time there are some very long books I don't want to tackle in one month eit..."

I completely understand. I, too, would like to read some of the longer books and we just haven't had any come up (although it was close with Atlas Shrugged in the running for November) so we haven't had to address it. So I thank you for bringing up some suggestions on how we handle it. I really do appreciate it. We should have an answer for you by at least next Sat when we get together to do the podcast. Sound good?

message 15: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) Yup I'm easy to please. No rush with getting an answer to me.

message 16: by Grandpa Joe (new)

Grandpa Joe | 42 comments I also favor a schedule that gives us ample time to get the selected reading done. This is because of (1) the participation of many of us (me included) in other book clubs, (2) books that appeal to us individually and that we want to read even though it is unlikely that our books clubs will select the book, and (3) some months in which outside activities give us less time than usual for reading. I agree that it will be more fun if we do not feel overburdened by the reading.

I do want our group to freely select books based on their merit and not shy away from books because of their length. It does appear that there are various ways of assuring that adequate time is allotted for longer books.

message 17: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Judson wrote: "I also favor a schedule that gives us ample time to get the selected reading done. This is because of (1) the participation of many of us (me included) in other book clubs, (2) books that appeal t..."

As we adopted your previous suggestion and are now voting on books for 3 months ahead of time (voting ends this month on the current polls) I believe this should alleviate any problems for longer books since people will have plenty time to get started.

message 18: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) Karena, looking at your last comment I realize I overlooked the obvious before. If there is a longer book selected just start reading it sooner than the designated month. Considering how fast people are joining this group it is best to keep the current format and not try complicating things.

message 19: by Travis sivarT (new)

Travis sivarT (TravissivarT) I have also found there is group called reading the chunksters that only reads the long ones

message 20: by Sandye (new)

Sandye Corcoran Judson wrote: "Perhaps we could select books 3 months or 6 months ahead of time so that all times we would always know what our selections are for each of the next three months or for each of the next six months...."

I'm new to this group so hopefully I'm commenting in the right place...

I love this idea! I'm a slow-ish reader at times and I don't always have the extra money to buy the ebooks we'll be reading. Following Judson's suggestion would not only give me more time to read at a more leisurely pace, if money is ever an issue it will give me more time to actually get the book(s) as I'm able to! Great idea!

message 21: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments I have one comment/suggestion for the new format. Although we now know what book we will be reading 3 months in advance, do we need to have all the forums open for all three months already? It is a lot to take in, to try to participate in all the forums when so many are up at the same time, at least for me. Is it possible to continue to only have one book forum up at a time? So, for January, the conversation would be open for Age of Innocence, but not yet the Life of Pi or Sherlock Holmes. When February comes, we could open the forum for that book. Being able to read ahead is was the main point, I think anyway, not being able to start discussing the book 3 months in advance of the majority of clubbers having even read it. Anyway, that is just a suggestion. I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the new threads. But maybe that is just me.

message 22: by Karena (last edited Jan 02, 2013 11:41AM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Angie wrote: "I have one comment/suggestion for the new format. Although we now know what book we will be reading 3 months in advance, do we need to have all the forums open for all three months already? It is a..."

I had opened the folders because it seemed I was getting a lot of emails asking about the new books. Jeane and I discussed it and while the existing folders will stay since people have already begun posting, they will now be frozen until their months come up. I apologize for any confusion. We ask that no one start new posts either or they will also be frozen. Thanks!

message 23: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments Karena wrote: "Angie wrote: "I have one comment/suggestion for the new format. Although we now know what book we will be reading 3 months in advance, do we need to have all the forums open for all three months al..."

Thanks so much, Karena!

message 24: by LaLaLa Laura (last edited Jan 03, 2013 09:27PM) (new)

LaLaLa Laura  (laurabhoffman) I would like to say of all the groups I have looked at, this one is the most organized and well run. I have seen many which have great ideas but no activity or no book selections as of the current month! I also appreciate how you seek our feedback. I am really enjoying this group along with many other people. keep going!

message 25: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Laura wrote: "I would like to say of all the groups I have looked at, this one is the most organized and well run. I have seen many which have great ideas but no activity or no book selections as of the current..."

Thank you so much Laura! That is one of the nicest compliments we have gotten! :) We are always looking for ways to improve to make this group the best possible group!

message 26: by Shea (new)

Shea | 5 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I have also found there is group called reading the chunksters that only reads the long ones"

For about two years I have been part of the "Reading the Chunksters" group which is well run and great if you want to tackle some of those really long reads. I am new to this group and still trying to find my way around.

message 27: by holly rose (new)

holly rose | 41 comments Silly question (since I voted) what is the book for March? :)

message 28: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments holly rose wrote: "Silly question (since I voted) what is the book for March? :)"

The upcoming March book is The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. :)

message 29: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) holly rose wrote: "Silly question (since I voted) what is the book for March? :)"

Also, a quick way to check upcoming books is to go to the home page and scroll down and after the discussion threads and the members in the group, it will say upcoming reads. :)

message 30: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 208 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I have also found there is group called reading the chunksters that only reads the long ones"

Thanks for letting me know about that! I didn't know there were others that actually like picking up those massive ones that more often get used as book-ends than actually read. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.