Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > How do you track your challenges??

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.G. (last edited Oct 22, 2012 04:12AM) (new)

D.G. | 3778 comments I don't have a great memory so I have to keep track of mine. You can thread in the Member's Reading Lists:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

Just read the first topic: What is a reading list?

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13870 comments LOL - my memory is shocking! I have trouble keeping track on my tracking lists :)

Good luck with it Evaine... And Yz will put you in her list with links if you ask nicely ;)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) Welcome Evaine.
I opened my own private group and track them all in there.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 275 comments Welcome, Evaine! Like the others, I have to write down (well, type in) my challenges to keep track. My memory is terrible! ;-) A simple spreadsheet usually works just fine for this, but I keep up with my series books at a site called FictFact. It's awesome! You can search for a series by author, title of one of the books in the series, or the series name. When you follow a series, it'll start a list of the next books in each series for you to read. Good luck and have fun!

message 5: by Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:51AM) (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 789 comments I have a tread in the member's list section of the SOS group. Many of the groups have a member section.

When I'm done with a challenge, I move it down to the bottom of the thread to archive it. I update in my personal thread and then periodically copy/past to the actual challenge. I bookmarked it so I can easily find it under my internet favorites tab.

I think I am going to start a 2nd one and have an ongoing one and a completed one. The one I have now its getting a bit unwieldy.

message 6: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (Lacy_Stewart) | 1810 comments I have a notebook that I keep next to my reading spot. I print out my challenges and write the books in as I finish them!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (Scoutmomskf) | 1351 comments I have a book blog and make a different page for each challenge. Then I can copy that info to the actual challenge page.

http://susans2012books.blogspot.com/

message 8: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 957 comments i created a database

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina  | 273 comments I have a book in Microsoft OneNote that I keep track of all of mine. I have links as well so I don't have to navigate to the pages each time. This is one of my favorite programs ever.

message 10: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13870 comments I can't believe how many different methods for tracking your challenge books are out there! I just do what DG does - but WOW, this conversation has really opened my eyes :)

message 11: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I keep a challenge list....you can find this in THE CHALLENGE FACTORY. Just schroll down to challenge/reading logs and click on WHAT'S THIS. I never lose track now that I use this.

Good Luck!

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1012 comments For the current game board challenge I'm making notes in a notebook I keep by the bed. For other challenges I've created a Word or Excel document. It just depends on what seems easiest for the challenge.

message 13: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments I don't see anyone mentioning this method yet. I have a spreadsheet on google drive. I used to keep it at home on my desktop as an excel sheet, but found myself always wanting to update it (at work... ah hem). So then I uploaded it to the cloud! [I said that last part in a most dramatic fashion]

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3932 comments Like Mary I use 2 member threads at SOS, one for ongoing, one for completed. I also use a private group, update everything there then just copy/paste to the appropriate thread.

I also use a pen & paper quick list, which means I don't have to turn on the computer to see which book I'd like to read next. Very satisfying crossing them off.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3932 comments By the way I agree with Kristi, FictFact is excellent and free.

Good if you like reading series, of any genre, but I don't use it for challenges.

✎Stacey "The One Night Biter" | 0 comments I can't find THE CHALLENGE FACTORY NayNay. Am I looking in the wrong place, can you help me?

message 17: by Liza (new)

Liza (Lizabangston) I create bookshelves for each challenge and label it accordingly. I guess you could do the same for the series that you are reading.

message 18: by Dani (new)

Dani (CzarinaKing) I just make a yearly goal and what ever books I read will automatically be posted on the list for that year. It's on the home page on the right if you scroll down some. My goal for this year is 101 books and so far I'm at 55.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments talking about the shelves - and the moderators ability to add challenges - would you like to see us start ones for the longer challenges - yearly, quarterly etc?

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 789 comments I keep track of the series I'm reading on fictfact. But I don't see a way to use it for challenges. I heard that they added message boards awhile back. But I haven't checked them out because I don't need another set of boards to keep me from reading.

message 21: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 9003 comments I have stickies all over my desktop - on my computer, not in real life! Between that and a member reading list, I stay relatively organized. But I would be lost without them! Especially since it is not only the challenges I'm participating in, but also the ones I am planning for the future - if I don't write/type it, it will be be gone, gone, gone...

message 22: by Hina (new)

Hina (hinaj) | 2579 comments Christina wrote: "I have a book in Microsoft OneNote that I keep track of all of mine. I have links as well so I don't have to navigate to the pages each time. This is one of my favorite programs ever."

Christina, I use OneNote for my classes, but I never thought to use it to keep track of my books. I have to look into this!!

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 789 comments Every once in a while I get tempted to do some sort of spread sheet for my books. But then I just can't think of how it would help me. But I'm not a spreadsheet person by nature. The Member lists work for me. Also shelving. I didn't much use shelving before I really got into the challenges. Now I use a lot of shelves to give me quick lists of books for various possible things (vamps, shifters, etc..,)

I don't see a way to put sticky notes on books here. I do paperbackswap.com and use the TBR Pile list there. I put a lot of sticky notes on books there. I'll put notes on them with character names, locations and whatnot for future challenge reference.

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 275 comments Mary wrote: "I keep track of the series I'm reading on fictfact. But I don't see a way to use it for challenges."

Yeah, I don't use it for challenges either. I just use it to let me know what book's up next in the multitudes of series I read.

I like the idea of a private group. Hadn't thought of that!

message 25: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) A bit old school but I have a pink Hello Kitty notebook to keep track of my series!
There is something very satisfying about crossing out a book when it's been read!

message 26: by Dani (new)

Dani Collins (DaniCollins) | 53 comments I've never done a challenge - it's on my To Do list, probably for the New Year. I used to try to get one How To and 3-5 novels read a month and I kept track in a notebook.

I've never been huge on chasing a series, probably because until the Kindle etc. it was a matter of buying the actual books and putting them in a pile. Very visual :)

I can't imagine making a list and CROSSING IT OUT. For me, the exciting part is being able to write down the title when I'm done. Different strokes, I guess (literally haha).

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 789 comments Dani I get that part about getting the excitement from adding the book to the list instead of crossing it off. I like that better too. In fact I stay away from challenges where I have to list them ahead of time. I like to see my empty challenge post fill up.

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 1102 comments I use Evernote to keep track of all my challenges. It has a tag option, so I tag each challenge with the month that the challenge ends. It makes it easy to find.

message 29: by Katie~Sweets (new)

Katie~Sweets | 16 comments I've just started a Members folder which I think is an excellent idea, before that, it was a plain old notebook.

~♡♥ April ♥♡~ | 8 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "I don't have a great memory so I have to keep track of mine. You can thread in the Member's Reading Lists:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

Just read the first top..."

Thanks for this Link, a Members List is a great idea. I'll have to figure out how to set one up now :D

message 31: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (MrsTosh) I had the same problem, kept signing up for challenges then forgetting about half of them. After taking advice from another member I opend my own group....best thing I could have done :)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (Unheard) | 162 comments Lauren wrote: "Welcome Evaine.
I opened my own private group and track them all in there."

that's what I did too and it's really good way to track your series or progress..

I used to use Listography.com which is another good website to list the challenges and your progress..

message 33: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13870 comments No Anka - it's really easy. Just follow the link above (it is sitting in April's message #33) and post your own 'topic' in that section. Yz will then link you if you ask nicely in her thread under the same segment. :)

message 34: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13870 comments I'm in a ludicrous number of challenges - I can't help myself either! There are some I have joined and don't have the lists for yet ;)

message 35: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Slagel | 84 comments Dear God, you are scaring me to pieces here! Maybe I should just stick to writing books and not worry about the rest? LOL I'm technically challenged to say the least. Keeping track sounds extremely challenging, to say the least!

message 36: by Questian (new)

Questian | 457 comments before? i would just remember the title of the book, and then after wards, if ever i have the time to book hunt, i would try my best to rememeber it, but now, that i'm using ebooks, all i have to do it list it on my to-read list and try to remember that i have to read this book before i get ahead of myself... which is more ofent that not..hehehehhhe

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I created a private GR group for tracking my challenges for all of my different groups. Mind you, I haven't updated it in about 3 months, lol. I should fix that.

I also bookmark every one of my threads for each challenge I'm in, just to find it easier. I keep that in a folder called "Challenges" (duh).

And, finally, I have a thread on a Member List somewhere in one or two of my many GR groups. That is also not really updated, either.

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13870 comments LOL Teresa - those lists are really working for you! (not!) I have to admit, it takes me a while to update my challenge lists as well ;)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Haha, yeah I started out with good intentions but I find it kind of daunting to keep track of everything I read that way. I'd rather just read! I hate that when you use the add book/author tool, it automatically puts your book/author at the very end of your post, even if you put the cursor up in the top or middle and it's so monotonous to me to cut and paste that link to put it where it belongs, so I just end up not bothering to update. I suppose I could just do a list without linking to the book or author but I like making the books I read clickable so others can click the book if they're curious to know more about it.

message 40: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 719 comments On my profile page, in the comment section, I'll cut and paste the challenge noting at the top which group it belongs to and edit as I go. This way they're all in one place.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3932 comments When I finish each book that is in a challenge I update my private group then post appropriately. If I didn't do it after each one, I'd go insane trying to keep up.

I'm in quite a few challenges in quite a few groups so I made it as simple as possible. And I also like to make everything clickable as Teresa said above. So much easier if you want to check out someone's books :)

message 42: by Tania (new)

Tania | 644 comments I'm a gadget junkie as well as being a member of the cult of apple so I have a note in their notes app (extremely simple little app) where I copy the details of each of the challenges I signed up for. I bold each challenge heading and take note of what message my lists are in the thread. Copying over brings the link across for the book titles.

I do it this way so that I have my lists easily to hand on my... wait for it... phone, ipad, laptop and desktop. Keeping things simple but accessible means I get more time to read :)