The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

The Movie- Epic Failure

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh! I watched the PJO movie and I hated it1 They got everything wrong! First of all- Logan Lerman is 17/18 now, right? So how are they going to do the prophecy of the next Big 3 child if everything is wrong! In the comments please put in a movie difference.

Katie I know right, Hollywoood completley screwed it up!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The entire thing was atrocious!!!!
They screwed around with it a lot and took a lot of liberties which is really disappointing because its a really good series of books that could of been made into some really good movies. I'm hopeful that the next one will not be as shockingly bad but I have my reservations about it still to be honest!

Emilee (Fantastical Paper Realm) EVERYTHING WAS DIFFERENT! I turned it off when the creauture showed up at camp..
Oh, a differnce...the first really annoying one was when everyone just new whose kid he was!

Jamie This movie was so terrible.
The whole thing was screwed up from the start.. actually. Even though I LOVE Logan Lerman, and he did his best at being Percy; I didn't like the movie. I was really expecting this movie to be as heart stopping as the book seemed to be. It was so dissapointing, stick to the books; please.

claire i think the actors did the best with what they had i really love grover but hollywood really messed it up big time

johanna Annabeth had BROWN hair and Grover had DARK hair! Annabeth is supposed to be blonde and Grover has ginger hair right? :l.

Stephanie Robles Exactly! The movie was completely messed up! Isn't it GROVER that wakes him up in the infirmary? Annabeth's hair is blonde, Grover already had horns, Riptide or basically the name of the pen, is not named, and where the heck is Mr. D, or the Camp Half-Blood T-shirts?!
Plus, Alexandra Daddario is 26 right now,and Logan Lerman is 20! (Brandon T. Jackson's age is just fine, 27, since Grover's in his twenties in the book.)

johanna Yeah.... and they skipped out my favourites scene - When Percy gets to the camp Mr. Brunner already knows he's the son of Poseidon!! I was looking forward to the part where the green trident shows above his head :L. Mmhmm, they missed out Mr. D, AND Clarisse!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Clarisse in Capture the Flag would have been AWESOME. And so would the 'I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom' scene. Also, why was Persephone there? Where is Mr D? Chiron is the ONLY centaur! And he is supposed to be a white pony!

johanna Yush, he was brown!! Haha lol. Other than that though..... it was good! xD

message 12: by Supsup3214 (last edited Oct 21, 2012 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Supsup3214 Annabeth doesnt even have blond hair in the movie!!! Holly wood is messed up!!!!

Diana Lyn I watched the movie even before I had read the book. I thought it was cool and everything up until I came upon reading it.

I re-watched the movie and I couldn't be more disappointed. I loved the book but I can't figure why Hollywood would do such a cruel thing to such an exciting story.

I just. I just can't.

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Watched the movie first, then read the book. Kinda wished I read the book first, book is waaaaaaaaaaay better. They missed out on heaps of important stuff as well. :(

message 15: by Shanna (last edited Oct 21, 2012 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shanna Of all the injustices in the movie when being compared to the book I find it peculiar that several posts are harping on the character's hair color.

IDK, I take movies and books and grade them completely separately as no movie can ever compete/ stand up to a wonderful story and the imagination that the story ferries with it. I thought the movie was sub-par because it felt cheap, (especially when looking at Grover and comparing him to let's say Narnia) the acting was again, okay nothing to write home about, but it is YA so I am not going to judge as harshly.

Yes, the books were great- and because of that maybe there was unrealistic expectation for the movies. Heck, look at H.P. the movies were phenomenal, but still not in the same league as a well versed imagination and the physical book.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I also watched the movie first. And good point about Harry Potter- if they could find Daniel Radcliffe for Harry then couldn't they find a twelve-year-old for Percy? I mean, even if the Percy actor was 13, I wouldn't care! But late twenties: NO! And it's the same director! Chris Columbus, hello! If they want to make a Sea of Monsters (SoM in my terms) movie they should redo the Lightning Thief. Who agrees!

Cherry I thought it was good as a stand alone film but, they are doing a second film!

Even so, I liked it but prefer the books.

Bryce Needhan I think I would have liked it if I hadn't already read the whole series. Oh well...

Regan It was enjoyable. It was not like the book, and it disappointed me a bit.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Not meaning to be racist about Chiron's horse-side-coour, though. If there was 1 thing that was good about the movie is Pierce Brosnan as Chiron. I think that was OK.

message 21: by Nikita (last edited Oct 24, 2012 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikita ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ wrote: "Watched the movie first, then read the book. Kinda wished I read the book first, book is waaaaaaaaaaay better. They missed out on heaps of important stuff as well. :("

same is the case with me. In fact, i saw half of the movie and was so impressed that i immediately started reading the book and finished it in few days. Still i love the movie and it whenever i have time. Hope they get the next movie right.

Supsup3214 Shahdia wrote: "I also watched the movie first. And good point about Harry Potter- if they could find Daniel Radcliffe for Harry then couldn't they find a twelve-year-old for Percy? I mean, even if the Percy actor..."

REALLY? they are I thought since alot of people were mad at the movie not being like the book they were finished. They better not mess up on this one! :)

Supsup3214 Shahdia wrote: "Not meaning to be racist about Chiron's horse-side-coour, though. If there was 1 thing that was good about the movie is Pierce Brosnan as Chiron. I think that was OK."

I KNOW RIGHT!!! :)

Supsup3214 Shahdia wrote: "I also watched the movie first. And good point about Harry Potter- if they could find Daniel Radcliffe for Harry then couldn't they find a twelve-year-old for Percy? I mean, even if the Percy actor..."

Shanna wrote: "Of all the injustices in the movie when being compared to the book I find it peculiar that several posts are harping on the character's hair color.

IDK, I take movies and books and grade them comp..."

ME I AGREE!!!

Supsup3214 They could of at least added the TUNNEL OF LOVE scene... :)

message 26: by Eri (last edited Oct 24, 2012 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eri Supsup3214 wrote: "They could of at least added the TUNNEL OF LOVE scene... :)"

I agree. I loved that scene!
Also I didn't like how Luke was like the "mastermind" in the whole movie when they should've showed Kronos. I mean, they missed the whole scorpion thing at the end.

Supsup3214 I wonder if Rick Riordan even watched the movie?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Supsup3214 wrote: "I wonder if Rick Riordan even watched the movie?"

I doubt it! I mean, Christopher Paolini saw Eragon and hated it. I think if Mr Riordan, the genius who created Percy and Co., saw the movie, he wouldn't let them make a sequel. Or maybe his fatal flaw is forgiveness...

Johanna wrote: "Annabeth had BROWN hair and Grover had DARK hair! Annabeth is supposed to be blonde and Grover has ginger hair right? :l."

Actually, there's a bit in the Lightning Thief where it says this line: "Anyway, Nancy Bobofit was throwing wads of sandwich that stuck in his curly brown hair", so Grover did have brown hair. However, I prefer red-haired Grovers- it makes them look more realistic.

Madie Keown The movie was so horrable! My friend and I were in the movie theater and thoughout the whole thing we kept nugging each other when something had been changed. We walked out and both had HUGE bruses on our ams

Perenelle Yes, we all know it was horrible
Cause we read the book, right?
But honestly, i don't think it was THAT bad.
I actually enjoyed it
I understand how different and messed up they made the movie, but if you didnt read the book, it was good.
Just my opinion.

David I watched the movie before reading the book and thought it was ok. That quickly changed the second I read the book. They even botched the main villain behind everything! Other than that awesome series, just started The Last Olympian.

message 32: by Cady (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cady Lorenzana Supsup3214 wrote: "They could of at least added the TUNNEL OF LOVE scene... :)"

I agree! I love that scene :)

Jacob Michael I think the part that they messed up on the most was when they killed off Luke because he is like one of the major characters later in the series.

David I totally agree. They completely ruined any chance for sequels. I really hope they redo this movie and get it right.

Heather The Movie is what made me want to read the books but the books are much better. I am not sure how they will continue the movies since the first was so far off from the books. In the pictures I can find of the second movie Annabeth has blonde hair, so maybe they are fixing the issues from the first movie.

Danielle The Sea of Monsters is already on it's way to being a movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1854564/

Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas I'll list my hating reasons:
a) They missed out Kronos
b) They missed out Mr. D
c) They missed out Clarrise
d) They missed out Ares
f) They're 12, not teenagers.
g) Anabeth is a blond, not darkhaired.
h) Hades doesn't want the lightning bolt
i) Persephone isn't in the books.
j) Percy doesn't sneak out of camp, they give him a quest
k) A Nereid gave him the pearls, they didn't go in serch of them
l) Medusa isn't revealed at first.
m) Grover is revealed a satyr at the cabin on a beach
n) They don't know he's a son of Poseidon at first.

And there are a lot more reasons. I understand they couldn't put EVERYTHING but at least put the basics!.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, poor old Hades just wanted his helm of darkness back! And seriously, Persephone and Grover just seems so random. And Persephone's pearls? Seriously?

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah The movie was really good, I think you guys are all angry that it wasn't similar to the book.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, when a movie is based on a book, it should be like the book! That's kind of the point! They can't just butcher the idea; at least keep the major things the same! And they can't do the Sea of Monsters because they killed Luke. Sure, its an OK movie if you haven't read the book, but if you have, I just couldn't finish it.

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Shahdia wrote: "Well, when a movie is based on a book, it should be like the book! That's kind of the point! They can't just butcher the idea; at least keep the major things the same! And they can't do the Sea of ..."

They did not kill Luke! He's clearly still alive. They already finished filming Sea of Monsters and it's coming out August 16th.