Fictional Characters Destroyed My Life discussion

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
This topic is about Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Come on, someone was bound to put it! This last book made me so mad (and really really sad but I choose to channel this sadness with anger--sounds healthy huh?) ;D

Teresa Mary Rose (TeresaMaryRose) | 192 comments Mod
Very healthy. But I agree. Prim!!!! It's like everything was for nothing. It didn't matter that Katniss volunteered because Prim still died.

message 3: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments I know! :( and then Katniss goes crazy and Gale just wanders off to wherever and we don't even get to know if Peeta really remembers her or not.
Bottom line; this book was traumatic.

Yes it was traumatic. Gale was the worst part I think. I felt like his character needed much more closure than he got!

Magen Corrie (MagenCorrie) | 85 comments Mod
Evie wrote: "Come on, someone was bound to put it! This last book made me so mad (and really really sad but I choose to channel this sadness with anger--sounds healthy huh?) ;D"

Yes!!! The last book I couldn't even finish honestly. That's how mad I got...

Magen Corrie wrote: "Evie wrote: "Come on, someone was bound to put it! This last book made me so mad (and really really sad but I choose to channel this sadness with anger--sounds healthy huh?) ;D"

Yes!!! The last bo..."

OMG you didnt finish!!! How?? It drove me nuts, but I had to know.

Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "Evie wrote: "Come on, someone was bound to put it! This last book made me so mad (and really really sad but I choose to channel this sadness with anger--sounds healthy huh?) ;D..."

I cheated and read the ending, that's how mad I got! I couldn't believe what was happening and all that was happening. I just couldn't... and then that ending!!! So I couldn't pick it back up.. I know, I did a big no no.. but.. but :(

It's okay, I'll forgive you this one time. I actually dd not hate this one as much as most people did. I actually kind of enjoyed it, but it made me a wreck! My poor GALE!

Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "It's okay, I'll forgive you this one time. I actually dd not hate this one as much as most people did. I actually kind of enjoyed it, but it made me a wreck! My poor GALE!"

Honestly.. That's why I got so mad! I had so much hope for a lot of characters, but mainly Gale! I loved Gale, and then when all that went down.. I couldn't go on... :(

Gale was great and I was rooting for him, but I liked Peeta too. I just could not hate him no matter how hard I tried to.

Jules  (julesthereader) | 2 comments I love them both, They're both very admirable men after all.

Emily (pepsnick) | 51 comments Oh gosh!! I was so disappointed! All the deaths of characters I loved, that was horrid and I felt like my world was off balance after that.

The triangle had me going back and forth. I can't say with accuracy that I flowed 100% for either. It was more like 60/40 for me, with Peeta on the 60 because Gale disappointed me sometimes.

One word. Prim. Why? Why? Why? Was the completely necessary!

Off topic, I tried really hard not to add spoilers to this post lol.

message 13: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments I wasreally annoyed at the guys in this book too! In the first two I was a Peeta fan (because even though I got the whole Gale-is-her-best-friend thing most of the time I thought he was a bit of a jerk-I don't think he meant it bad I think it was his way of caring but still...) but I liked them both. Until the past book where I didn't like either of them. Does anyone else feel like they did some things that were completely out of character and some parts were just complete personality switches? I mean, GALE comforting Katniss like that? (don't remember the exact part but they were sitting on this rock and he was being all sweet) it reminded me more of Peeta. If Gale had been a little more like that a little more often Peeta would have had more competition.
I don't know the whole book upset me... :( I don't blame you for not finishing it Teresa!

Haha Emily: spoilers are okay! That's why there are separate discussions for books. The point is for us to discuss those moments that made us nuts :) Prim really upset me too. I had a hard time accepting that one!

Evie: I did finish the book, I actually didn't hate it as much as everyone else. It just really frustrated me. Magen is the one who didn't finish it lol I agree with you that some of the characters took complete 180 turns.

Can we all agree though that Finnick is awesome? I think his death hurt the most.

Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Haha Emily: spoilers are okay! That's why there are separate discussions for books. The point is for us to discuss those moments that made us nuts :) Prim really upset me too. I had a hard time acc..."

Evie: Yeah, I just couldn't finish it. It frustrated me way too much. And you are right on the spot, some of the characters did seem to be not themselves. That was also another reason why I couldn't finish it!

I did like both guys, at first Gale more than Peeta. As the story progressed, I started liking both less.
The last book just makes me wanna shake someone! HA!

Teresa: YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

FINNICK DESTROYED ME!

message 17: by Emily (last edited Oct 21, 2012 01:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily (pepsnick) | 51 comments Finnick's death was tragic, I was definitely upset by that. As I was reading I was texting my aunt during the parts that shocked me, upset me, etc .. and his death was one of them. Then Prim. Then Gale not even being in her life anymore. What?? Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the entire series but the third book was let down after let down. I mean in the sense that I wish some things didn't happen the way they did, not that it was poorly written .. I definitely didn't see the whole thing with Prim dying, but I was really happy that Katniss got her revenge with the President.

I think I would have had the same reaction I did with her and Gale that I did with her and Peeta because both of them let me down, moreso with Gale and his 'tude. Most times I let it slide but sometimes he urked me too much to excuse it. Peeta on the other hand ... I never really thought they were compatible but after what happened in the first and second books he really grew on me and I felt that he was great for her and that maybe I judged too quickly. I was bummed that the Capitol had tarnished his memories of her .. Again, why??

message 18: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "FINNICK DESTROYED ME!"

I know, right? It's like we could describe the whole book with one word: Why???? ;( Way to break all our hearts Suzanne Collins... *sigh* so much sadness.

message 19: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Haha Emily: spoilers are okay! That's why there are separate discussions for books. The point is for us to discuss those moments that made us nuts :) Prim really upset me too. I had a hard time acc..."

Sometimes I can't believe that I finished it! It is forever the unshelved book on my nook. It's like the ereader version of the walk of shame! Heehee!
Yeah I know what you mean, Peeta was always sweet (enough to win me over lol) but as far as their interests and methods of thinking and reasoning they weren't an apparent couple. I think that Katniss felt responsible for him in her way. I dOnt know, she would gy so protective over the people she cared about-and in that way I understand her attraction to Gale. Other than being a hot head I think he was the only person she didn't have to worry about as much. I mean she worried (this is Katniss after all) but I think she believed he could take care of himself better than she believed that other people could. I don't know, just a thought...

Emily: I agree about Gale. It was really upsetting that they weren't even friends anymore. It really bothered me that Katniss blamed Gale for Prim, he didn't drop those bombs. I too enjoyed the entire series, but Nickinjay was just hurt after hurt!

Evie: I totally agree about Peeta! I always felt like Katniss was interested because she felt like she had to take care of him. I just felt like her and Gale were more compatible because they were both strong and capable of being independent.

Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Emily: I agree about Gale. It was really upsetting that they weren't even friends anymore. It really bothered me that Katniss blamed Gale for Prim, he didn't drop those bombs. I too enjoyed the ent..."

Can I just agree to all of that!! It's exactly how I feel and what I think!! So, agree agree agree!!!

Emily (pepsnick) | 51 comments Teresa: I felt the same way! I felt like she was pushed into the relationship with Peeta, but in book 2 I really saw Peeta in a whole new light .. he seemed to genuinely care about her in a way that I thought was really good for her, and she seemed to finally feel safe with him instead of feeling like she HAD to be with him, even if she was confused about Gale for most of the time.

While I think her and Gale were compatible, I think they would have been better off as friends, and it sucks that their relationship/friendship deteriorated.

I understood Katniss and Peeta towards the end, but I just had a soft spot for Gale. At the very least I wanted them to stay friends, but they didnt even do that! And I kinda blame Katniss for that because Gale would have been in her life any way she wanted.

I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had a soft spot for Gale. He's just my kind of fictional guy :)
But I do wish they would of at least stayed friends. I feel that what happened to Prim wasn't really his fault.

Magen Corrie wrote: "I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had a soft spot for Gale. He's just my kind of fictional guy :)
But I d..."

THANK YOU!!!!!! See this is why we are bloggy friends haha! I hated that Katniss blamed Gale. It really was not his fault. Yes he created the weapon, but he had no say in how it was used and he had no way of knowing it would be used for that. I can understand her not being able to have a romantic relationship after that, but I think they should have at least tried to stay friends. Especially after everything they went through together.

Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had a soft spot for Gale. He's just my kind of fic..."

HA HA HA Heck yeah!!! *hands you cake* :D
Gale is just *wiggles eyebrows* ya know. Peeta just doesn't cut it for me...

And they did go through so much together!!!!
I agree it wasn't really his fault, just a series of unfortunate events that took place. Even if the romance was lost for them I felt like they could of or should of stayed friends. At the end of the book, Katniss just seemed like Bilbo Baggins of the Shire... writing about her life. And she seemed sad. I didn't want her to end up like that...

Emily (pepsnick) | 51 comments I, too, didn't think it was Gales fault, but this happens a lot .. in a trauma, people find somebody to blame and that person is somebody close to them. In her case, it was Gale. I may have not *really* wanted them to be a couple, but I DID want them to stay friends. IMO they were GREAT friends, just not a great couple!

I agree! What I loved about Gale and Katniss was that they were friends first, before anything else and they always had eachothers back. I understood why Katniss made her decision, I just wish she hadnt.

Emily: I agree with you, in situations as such, people do blame others, even if it wasn't there fault.
I honestly did want them together at first, and I did want to see them make it through everything. But how the book turned out, I would of been happy if they just stayed friends. :)

Teresa: I think that's why I liked them as a couple so much, 'cause they were such good friends first. I wish she hadn't, too... :(

It just saddened me. I felt like the story left a lot of people very unhappy.

Eunice (eunice85) | 1 comments I like Katniss with Peeta since they are more different and can complement each others' strengths and weaknesses but it's a shame that Katniss and Gale can't remain as friends and that her innocent sister whom she was trying to protect in the first place ended up dead.

message 32: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Emily: I agree about Gale. It was really upsetting that they weren't even friends anymore. It really bothered me that Katniss blamed Gale for Prim, he didn't drop those bombs. I too enjoyed the ent..."

Yes, I certainly agree. I DID like Peeta better as a whole but there were some things that bugged me about him as well. Gale was a tad too much of a hothead for my taste but there were things I liked a lot better about him as well. I really appreciated them both (another reason I hated (lovingly but still)) Mockingjay because I felt like they both were so different from the guys I had become to believe they were. Yeah, this book just depressed me. lol ;)

message 33: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Emily wrote: "Teresa: I felt the same way! I felt like she was pushed into the relationship with Peeta, but in book 2 I really saw Peeta in a whole new light .. he seemed to genuinely care about her in a way tha..."

I agree with you. Peeta was soo good for her! So sweet and definitely brought out the more guarded feminine side of Katniss that she so rarely let anyone see. I think Gale understood her well as a person and as a friend but I think she also felt like she had to be more for him. Stronger, more invincible. She was always so hard on herself, like weakness was failure and that neither was acceptable. I think that was why Peeta was so good for her, he was so accepting of her exactly the way she was even in all the ways she was scared to be. He believed in her from the beginning, I think that's what made this book so crushing because he forgot her so completely and she lost that support and love. Love and support that I don't even think she realized she needed as much as she did.
Geez, it was just sad. ;(

message 34: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "I understood Katniss and Peeta towards the end, but I just had a soft spot for Gale. At the very least I wanted them to stay friends, but they didnt even do that! And I kinda blame Katniss for that..."

Ugh, yes. I don't understand why she so completely shut him out. And we didn't even get to know what really became of him. He just wandered off to some random district and everyone was like "oh yeah, Gale went there..." Poor guy.

message 35: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had a soft spot for Gale. He's just my kind of fic..."

Yes, I agree. Really she could have more easily just blamed the resistance. They were the ones that used the weapon in that horrible way. Or better yet, just blame the Capitol. They started all the problems in the first place. >:P

message 36: by Evie (new)

Evie (TheBookHermit) | 20 comments Magen Corrie wrote: "Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had a soft spot for Gale...."

Haha I like the Bilbo Baggins reference. Yeah, it was such a dazed and somehow distant account...I didn't like the end at all. Well, I liked the actual END but it needed so much more to it in my opinion.

Evie wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "Teresa Mary Rose wrote: "Magen Corrie wrote: "I still feel like Peeta's and Katniss relationship was forced, but it did feel more natural at the end. But like you Teresa I had ..."

Evie: I agree with you there, she could of blame those that actually used the weapon. And really, it is the Capitol's fault.. they did start the whole mess in the first place. Such a sad series of events.
Ha ha when I read that, Bilbo Baggins just popped into my mind. I didn't like how it ended, too sad, and it made me not like how the some of the characters turned out. I guess I was expecting more.

๖ۣۜMegan | 7 comments *Sob* Finnick!! *Sob*