Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Your most recent amazing read

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments Unbroken, with No Easy Day coming in a close second.

message 2: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments "Kim" by Rudyard kipling, read by Sam Dastor. I was ignorant of the true nature of this story and blown away by the unanticipated joy and excitement it provided, especially under the beautiful narration of Dastor.
If we go back seven or eight months, the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache/Three Pines Mysteries by Louise Penny, read by Ralph Coshem. The characters are wonderful, the prose stunning, the story engaging, and the narration matches. Even though they are mysteries, I listened to the seven available at the time three times back to back and experienced something new each time. I could have continued relistening but new releases forced me to move on. But I will return to Three Pines to relive the now eight books again in the future--and again and again.
There are more amazing books, but these are the most amazing for me. Oops, I almost forgot The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes, Dust and Shadow, and The Rook--marvelous!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Nicholson | 50 comments What about the new Louise Penny?

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusieQ69) | 16 comments A few months ago, I listened to Life of Pi by Martel. I picked up the title b/c it vaguely sounded familiar. A colleague had recommended it to me several months prior. This books was like nothing I'd ever read before, and it continues to pop into my head at times. Everyone should take the opportunity to read this book. Very, very good.

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Stewartry) | 399 comments The one I'm in the middle of - the Craftlit/Librivox multi-reader Dracula. It's highly addictive.

message 6: by JanBreesmom (last edited Oct 26, 2012 12:40PM) (new)

JanBreesmom (goodreadscomJanBreesmom) | 35 comments I recently read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. It was fascinating. Epic in scope. The Russian history leading up to the great revolution brought that time to life for me. The characters were so timeless and well written it was easy to relate to them. I've found Leo Tolstoy to be an extraordinary writer. I was not familiar with Russian literature but I am beginning now to read and appreciate it.

This audiobook was performed by Davina Porter who did an excellent job. Her narration. really enhanced the experience.

message 7: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments JanBreesmom wrote: "I recently read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. It was fascinating. Epic in scope. The Russian history leading up to the great revolution brought that time to life for me. The characters were so t..."

Glad to hear you liked this one I have it in my library just haven't gotten to it yet and I do think I need a Davina fix!

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 4999 comments Chris wrote: "What about the new Louise Penny?"

It wasn't a part of my initial experience of being blown away since it wasn't out yet. "The Beautiful Mystery" is wonderfully well-written and narrated, but the ending had me so unnerved that I may not re-read it until the next one comes out. The wait will be excruciating.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 3418 comments My last amazing listen, ie 5 stars, was Let the Great World Spin. Narration was perfect and the book itself fabulous. But who does it fit? An excellent book doesn't fit anyone, you have to match a person with a book, don't you think?! This writer is for those who pay more attention to the sentences word by word and what the author could be telling us, rather than how the plot goes from A to Z. Zoli, also by Colum McCann wasn't quite as good, only four stars. Only, only....

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 116 comments Jeanie wrote: "Chris wrote: "What about the new Louise Penny?"

"The Beautiful Mystery" is wonderfully well-written and narrated, but the ending had me so unnerved that I may not re-read it until the next one comes out. The wait will be excruciating. ..."

Jeannie, I couldn't agree with you more. I just finished reading The Beautiful Mystery and had read many such comments about the ending and had them in my head while reading. As a result I couldn't enjoy the reading as much as I might have, anticipating the ending. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but I too will be on pins and needles until the next book comes out.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1791 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Chris wrote: "What about the new Louise Penny?"

"The Beautiful Mystery" is wonderfully well-written and narrated, but the ending had me so unnerved that I may not re-read it until ..."

Ugh! Beautiful Mystery is up next for me *bites nails*

message 12: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 2757 comments Mine most recent was The Secret Keeper by, Kate Morton narrated by, Caroline Lee. I just love the combination of these two women Caroline conveys Kate’s words better than I think anyone could. I highly recommend all of Kate Morton’s books on audio they are all read by the wonderful Caroline Lee!