Books2Movies Club discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Spotlighted Reads > The Great Gatsby

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Treena
I've moved your thread to the Coffee and TV section, 'cause it fits better there ;)

I'm still unsure about Leonardo DiCaprio playing Gatsby, but I'll probably watch it anyway because I love, love, love the book :)

message 3: by David (new)

David Hopefully the twenties extravagance is executed in a proper stylistic fashion. Baz had better not let us down!

I have a feeling that Leo as Gatsby might turn out to be a more lively Dom Cobb. Haha it will be very entertaining!

Treena Yap (itsmetreenagrey) | 6 comments yes i think the great gatsby 2012 will do great; but, i would also love to tell you I really love the great gatsby on 1974 starring robert redford and mia farrow. but, might as well this 2012 version will do more better ;D. have u seen it already? ;)

Treena Yap (itsmetreenagrey) | 6 comments Dodo wrote: "Hi Treena
I've moved your thread to the Coffee and TV section, 'cause it fits better there ;)

I'm still unsure about Leonardo DiCaprio playing Gatsby, but I'll probably watch it anyway because I l..."

no problem

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "I have a feeling that Leo as Gatsby might turn out to be a more lively Dom Cobb. Haha..."

Haha, this might really turn out very entertaining.

Treena wrote: "yes i think the great gatsby 2012 will do great; but, i would also love to tell you I really love the great gatsby on 1974 starring robert redford and mia farrow. but, might as well this 2012 versi..."

I must admit I've just seen the 2000 version with Toby Stephens.
But I think I'll watch the Redford version before watching the new one, for comparison :)

Treena Yap (itsmetreenagrey) | 6 comments Dodo wrote: "David wrote: "I have a feeling that Leo as Gatsby might turn out to be a more lively Dom Cobb. Haha..."

Haha, this might really turn out very entertaining.

Treena wrote: "yes i think the great ..."

might as well i'll watch the 2000 version OMGGGG! cant wait till' december!!! =D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

December? Didn't you know it has been postponed to May 2013?

Treena Yap (itsmetreenagrey) | 6 comments Dodo wrote: "December? Didn't you know it has been postponed to May 2013?"

omg. seriouslyy???!! no i didn't!!. how'd you know? ;S

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm following some movie news/review sites via Twitter and the news about the postponement came up one or two months ago, I think.

Treena Yap (itsmetreenagrey) | 6 comments Dodo wrote: "I'm following some movie news/review sites via Twitter and the news about the postponement came up one or two months ago, I think."

ohhh. i see

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Dodo wrote: "Hi Treena

I'm still unsure about Leonardo DiCaprio playing Gatsby, but I'll probably watch it anyway because I l..."

I loved the book. I haven't seen Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie yet. Anything he does is usually great. I look forward to seeing it. Have you seen it yet? How was it? Carol

Shelley | 22 comments I actually don't have as much of a problem with the Redford version as some people did, but what do you think is the hardest thing about Gatsby to try to capture on film? I think it's the general melancholy ambience--how to do that without just being oppressive, because it's not that.

Shelley, http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 14: by William (new)

William Redford seemed right for the part of Gatsby, the hubris of his "Old Sport" incantation foretelling the nemesis awaiting him. Made me think of John Barrymore in Grand Hotel.

message 15: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga Miret (goodreadscomOlgaNM) I have mixed feelings about the new version. I don't know about Leonardo playing Gatsby. I was wondering to myself why would he do such a thing and then replied to myself, who wouldn't want to be Gatsby? I don't know what the director will do with it although I've liked his previous movies, but he's not known for being particularly reverent with materials, although I think the story and characters are strong enough to survive most adaptations and it could end up working well...
I'm concerned about Carey Mulligan playing Daisy. She's a good actress but seems too young for the part. Gatsby and her originally met when they were very young and she's now married, time has passed...But again...wait and see.
I have tickets for a ballet based on the Great Gatsby in March next year (Northern Ballet). That should also be interesting. They are great so...

message 16: by David (new)

David A. (WriterOnDuty) | 1 comments Dear Friends:
In addition to the Redford (1974) version and the
TV movie starring Toby Stephens, Paul Rudd and Mira Sorvino (2000), I also saw the Alan Ladd, Betty Field, and Shelley Winters (1949. I bought this last version from a company that specializes in old, hard-to-find movies.
I liked parts of all three movies. But,I still think the Redford version was decent. I'm looking forward to DiCaprio's contribution to the cause.
Cheers,

Dave

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Was the book any good? I saw it at Target back in August when I was shopping for school supplies!

message 18: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Mariano | 1 comments Kendall wrote: "Was the book any good? I saw it at Target back in August when I was shopping for school supplies!"

Yes - the book is fabulous, definitely an all-time classic. Fitzgerald captures the era wonderfully and creates both simple and complicated characters. This book also has one of the few lines I can quote word for word and is probably my favorite.

I, too, am skeptical of the new movie and would like to see what Leo does with Gatsby. If any current actor could take this on, I believe Leo is the guy and I'm not necessarily a big fan.