Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles, #5) Memnoch the Devil discussion

Read or not to read

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by V (new) - added it

V I want to read Memnoch the Devil, but do I need the first 4 books of the series to understand what's going on?

Billy Candelaria Yes!

message 3: by V (new) - added it

V Then read I shall! Thanks.

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken I liked the book and the different premise of it. Although my Christian friends I don't think will like it.

Danielle Yes, great book!

message 6: by JulieLaLa (last edited Oct 28, 2012 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JulieLaLa You can skip "interview with a vampire" (Lestat is not portrayed very well in this one - it's all about mopey and depressed Louis) and start with "The Vampire Lestat" and continue from there - I hope you'll find Lestat to be a most charming vampire!

message 7: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken I have read all of Anne Rice's vampire series and loved them.

Misty Memnoch the Devil is my favorite. You can skip Interview the Vampire and Tale of the Body Thief and still understand Memnoch, though both are worth one's time. Anne Rice does an excellent job of summarizing the main points of Body Thief when needed. She rarely goes into a new book with the assumption that the reader has already read any/all of the prequals.

Carina I agree that you need to read the first books in order to have a better understanding of the characters BUT I think you need to read Tale of the Body Thief as well (I would also say don't skip Interview either but that one can be missed if you really want to get to Memnoch quickly).

Without the earlier stories the characters and thier actions just won't mean the same things.

Layla Rodgerson Yes, you will definitely be lost if you don't read the first books in the series. That's usually the case for most of Anne Rice's books.

message 11: by R.B. (last edited Dec 15, 2012 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

R.B. This book was hard for me to read, I got stucked in the middle. I think it was the very long dialogue between Lestat and Memnoch, I had to skip some of it to finish.

Nadya i havent read any of the books in order, read the vampire lestat, blackwook farm, Memnoch the devil, queen of the damned and the body theif out of order. fair enough they are mentioned but i dont feel that in this series they need to be read in order. its a good read though a hard read

Nadya Rossella wrote: "This book was hard for me to read, I got stucked in the middle. I think it was the very long dialogue between Lestat and Memnoch, I had to skip some of it to finish."

i know exactly how you feel, i gave up the second time i went to read it. anne rice, although her books are good she tends to make things go on a bit too long

Nadya Sade wrote: "Nadya wrote: "Rossella wrote: "This book was hard for me to read, I got stucked in the middle. I think it was the very long dialogue between Lestat and Memnoch, I had to skip some of it to finish."..."

ive read blackwood farm 3 times, i think its great, one of her most easier books to read compared to the others ive read of anne rice......try again :)

message 15: by V (new) - added it

V This sounds like I may need to get this on audio book...

message 16: by Yuka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuka This is the best book after The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)

Mitchell Fobbester I thought that “Memnoch the devil” was a good book but I think Anne Rice had her stories crossed. I am an amateur writer and often I try and put all of my ideas into a single book, even if they don’t really fit together. She had a good story-line of the creation of the universe, god and his angels but I don’t think she should have mixed it in with her vampire chronicles. She did later go on to writing about religion in “Christ the lord”, I haven’t read them yet but I think the story of creation needs its own books, and not a side line in a story of vampires. I think in the case of “Memnoch the devil” she was putting too many good ideas together which resulted in the book not being as good as expected.