Terminalcoffee discussion

Politics / Business / Economics > How easy is it to find information about everyone on your ballot?

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Every election the Arizona ballot includes candidates that it is extremely difficult and time-consuming to find any information about. The newspapers and other media request statements from all candidates but some do not respond.

Theses candidates are running for non-partisan offices like:
- Central AZ Water Conservation District Board of Directors
- Corporation Commission
- State Mine Inspector
- Clerk of the Superior Court
- Maricopa County Special Health Care District Board of Directors
- Justice of the Peace

Is this a problem everywhere or do some states require all candidates to provide a bio and position statement?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 22885 comments Mod
I usually feel like I have enough information on about half the candidates on the ballot to vote. If I don't have enough information, I won't vote for that office. (Party affiliation, which is always noted on the ballot, is NOT enough information for me. I never voted for Rod Blagojevich, even though he was a Democrat, because he always seemed totally smarmy and dishonest to me.)

We vote for judges in Illinois and there is no way anyone who isn't a lawyer or working for the court system or a political insider will have enough information to vote on every single one of them. What I did last time was look at the Illinois Bar Association blog to at least find out which ones were criminals, or never showed up for work, which ones got the bar association's thumbs-down, etc. and I voted against those.

message 3: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) That's what I do for judges.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) I too will not vote for anyone who does not bother to give any information.

Our pamphlet for Oregon this go round is HUGE!