Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > Feb '09 BotM: Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Burket (KathleenGiGiCompany) | 20109 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the February '09 Book of the Month:

Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Hope's Folly has been released and is available in bookstores. If you plan to read this book of the month, I would suggest that you read Gabriel's Ghost and Shades of Dark, the first two books in the series. Both have been out for awhile and should be available in libraries, used book stores and book exchanges.

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (GinRobi) | 3325 comments Mod
I ordered Hope's Folly since my bookstore here wasn't carrying it. I should have it by next Friday.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Finished Hope's Folly this weekend. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

Hope's Folly is the name of Admiral Philip Guthrie's command ship in the Alliance. The alliance is a hastily thrown together construct after the imperial empire crumbles. Admiral Guthrie's ship is an old Imperial Fleet Styrker-class heavy cruiser that has been most recently been owned to haul fruit. The only thing good that can be said about it is that it smells pretty, with the lingering scent of oranges in the air. Guthrie is concerned about word Folly as the part of the name of the flagship of the newly formed Alliance fleet, but that was part of the deal when the ship was acquired. Hope was the daughter of the previous owner, killed in an imperial launched jukor (wild beasts that tear apart anything in their path) attack at the Grover City spaceport, her home. Folly is the name of her pet cat. Her parents wanted to call the ship Hope and Folly, but the little girl insisted on the name Hope's Folly. The cat reminds the owner too much of his daughter and Guthrie inherits the cat as well.

Sub-lieutenant Rya Bennton, daughter of the late Captain Cory Bennton, joins the Alliance and is assigned to the Hope's Folly. Rya is formerly Imperial Security (Impsec) and a trained assassin. Rya and Philip meet enroute to Hope's Folly and join forces with other Alliance personnel to battle Farosians who would like to capture Philip to use as a pawn to trade to the Imperials for their own captured leader.

Throughtout the book in the midst of conflicts with Farosians and Imperials, ship malfunctions, and spies infiltrating the crew, the romance between Philip and Rya continues to grow in a plausible fashion to a satisfying conclusion. Most of the book centers on the military action in the story and is true to what you would expected in a military operation. It adds a great chapter to Sinclair's Dock Five series.

I'd give this one five stars.

message 5: by Gina (new)

I'm on page 335. I'll have it done tonight, but I'll probably post my review tomorrow. I'm well on my way to a five-star rating as well, LOL! I'm loving it!

message 6: by Gina (new)

Here's my review!

A great read, even if a little predictable.

(Bookaholic’s Review Note: Make sure to read
Gabriel’s Ghost and Shades of Dark before reading this one. That’s a must!)

Admiral Philip Guthrie finds himself now aboard
Hope’s Folly, what was once part of the Imperial fleet. Converted to a fruit carrier, the ship was sold to the Alliance under a few conditions: that the ship retain its name, and the cat, Captain Folly, is to remain onboard. Now Philip is in command of the ship, and they are trying desperately to get it in working order to fight against the Imperial fleet. Philip, still recuperating from a shattered hip and leg (Shades of Dark), was attacked before getting onboard. It seems the ‘law’ wants him alive. Philip can well imagine why, but he’ll do whatever it takes not to end up in the enemies’ hands.

Rya Bennton had been an Imperial Assassin before her father had been killed. Seeing what is happening to the Empire, she is now on the other side of the law, wanting revenge. Now aboard the Folly, she wants in on the action to bring the Empire down. Philip asks her, if she was ever in the same room with the man who took her father’s life and handed a gun, would she kill him? She answers she would, without a doubt or hesitation. But when Philip hands her his gun, Rya the Rebel is confused. While Philip didn’t actually kill her father, he puts the responsibility on his own shoulders, and Rya won’t shoot him, for she’s been in love with the man since she was a kid, when her father brought Philip home to meet the family.

After the attack on Kirro Station, Rya has put herself in the position of guarding Admiral Guthrie against any more attacks. It seems that, at every turn, their efforts to get the Folly functioning, something happens to set them back. The more Rya looks into it, the more she’s convinced their have a saboteur on their ship. And now she’s determined, not only to keep the man she loves alive, but to find the person who doesn’t want the ship to fly.

**While I liked the book, I sort of found it predictable. Philip believes himself a man who can’t love, and yet, even though he refuses to, his feelings for Rya grow. A strong man, he’s determined to thwart the enemy. It’s his knowledge and determination, his personality and inner struggles that readers will love.

Rya - I loved her. She’s just as strong and determined as Philip. I liked her ‘action first, think later’ attitude, and how she’ll do whatever is necessary.

What bugged me a little was how predictable the romance part of the story was. Woman is in love with the man - man falls in love with the woman - believes it’s his responsability to protect her and is determined to put her out of harms way. Once, just once, I’d love to read the romance part of any book where the male keeps the female with him, no matter what. For once, I want the man to hold her there without the female having to fight to stay there. Just once, I want the male’s chauvinistic pride and arrogant attitude to either take a backseat or not appear at all in a love story. Will I ever get my wish? *eyeroll* I’ll let you know if and when it happens. But then again, I guess most lead male characters have to have a little alpha male attitude. *shrug*

However, besides my romance rant, I loved the action and mystery in the story. The author writes it all so well that it’s as if you’re aboard the ship, watching it all unfold in front of you. Her descriptions put you in the thick of it. I loved the characters’ inner battles. I loved the tension you feel between characters, primary and secondary. Way to go, Ms. Sinclair! Can’t wait for the next installment in the Gabriel’s Ghost universe.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ColleenCT1) | 1537 comments Hi Ladies,

I agree with both of you. This was my favorite of the 3 stories I have read by Linnea Sinclair.

I liked how the romance developed, but I too was thinking that just once can't a leading man have enough faith in his partner to let her take care of herself. As a stong indepentant woman, I don't want someone who is always trying to save me. I have broken up with numersous men because of that. Oh well, I did like that way the Rya was strong and did not take no for an answer, however at my age I would get sick of always battling to get my way. Maybe that is why I am still single? :)

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Colleen, Thanks, for your input. I liked this story a lot also. I think it was the fact that Philip loss so much and I enjoyed seeing him as a winner who ended up with the girl.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ColleenCT1) | 1537 comments I liked that part also. The reason I was unhappy with "Shades of Dark" is we don't know if Chaz and Sully end up happy.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

There is a lot in Chaz and Sully's story that needs to be resolved. I too hope that Linnea Sinclair visits with them in a future story.

message 11: by Gina (new)

Right there with you, Ladies! While we know that they are still together, it would be nice to really know how they're doing.

message 12: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 08, 2009 05:55PM) (new)

The sequel to Hope's Folly and the fourth book in the Dock Five series has the working title of Rebels and Lovers and is the story of Philip Guthrie's brother, Devin. See http://www.linneasinclair.com/books.html for a short summary. Publication date is TBA.

message 13: by Gina (new)

Woohoo! Thanks, Kathleen! Heading there now! I can't wait!

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ColleenCT1) | 1537 comments I was just at the site. The book looks very good!

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (ColleenCT1) | 1537 comments I had to do the same thing and go and look at the excerpt for "Hope's Folly" LOL

message 16: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 11, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

[image error]
Rebels and Lovers, Dock Five Universe, Book 4, the story of Devin Guthrie and Makaiden Griggs, is to be released March 23, 2010.

message 17: by Gina (new)

Woohoo! I just wrote it in my new release journal. I can't wait!

message 18: by Kathleen (last edited Apr 09, 2010 03:18PM) (new)

I have just loved all of the books in the Dock Five Universe by Linnea Sinclair: Gabriel's Ghost (Book 1), Shades of Dark (Book 2), Hope's Folly (Book 3), and now, Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4) by Linnea SinclairRebels and Lovers
(Book 4). Devin Guthrie is the youngest of the four sons of interplantary tycoon J.M. Guthrie. The eldest son, Jonathon, assists with management of Guthrie Global Systems (GGS); next eldest is Philip, the only brother to defy his father to pursue a career in the Imperial fleet rather than employment with the family businesses; then Ethan, adulterer, womanizer, drunk, and perceived by all as weak and ineffectual; and finally Devin, numbers cruncher, computer genius, and complaint. Only Devin proves a little less complaint then he is thought to be when he takes off in defiance of his father to search for his missing nineteen year old nephew Trip (Jonathan's eldest son). Everyone thinks that Trip has been taken by imperial forces or is being held for ransom because his bodyguard is found dead. Devin believes, as do Trip's younger siblings, and family butler/ex-ImpSec agent/assassin Barthol, that Trip has run off to join his Uncle Philip in the rebel alliance, BEFORE the kidnapping attempt that resulted in the bodyguard's death.

Barty (Barthol) and Devin catch up with Trip, who is being pursued by kidnappers, on Dock Five. Trip has already crossed paths Makaiden Griggs, former GGS pilot, who has taken him under her wing to prevent him from being nabbed. Devin has long been in love with Makaiden who was married when previously employed by GGS. Ethan may be a womanizer, but Devin respected Makaiden's marriage. Devin discovers that her husband is dead and the path is clear for his fantasies to become reality, if Barty, Makaiden, Trip, and he can avoid assassins, kidnappers, the Imperial fleet, ImpSec, and other nefarious elements and discover who is behind the threat against his family.

Couldn't put this book down, wonderful blend of scifi, romance, and intrigue. Want to see more of all of these characters. In time, I am sure that Trip will grow into a hero in his own right. Loved that Philip Guthrie made an appearance. Hope we have another book set at the same time as this book that deals with the escape of the rest of the family from Sylvadae. This story isn't over yet and I could see several books resulting from the loose ends. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

message 19: by Gina (new)

LOL, now I really can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for your review, Kathleen!

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments I haven't gotten past Gabriel's Ghost. But loved what I have read of this series and looking forward to getting back into this series again.

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Sam wrote: "I haven't gotten past Gabriel's Ghost. But loved what I have read of this series and looking forward to getting back into this series again."

Sam, Makaiden Griggs is the daughter of Nathaniel Milo, Sully's friend, from Gabriel's Ghost.

message 22: by Gina (new)

I'm going to have to order Rebels and Lovers. My local bookstore shows it as coming in but hasn't yet arrived.