101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

Dracula
This topic is about Dracula
Completed Reads > Dracula - Chapter 6

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 16, 2012 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer  | 285 comments Just finished reading chapter six and wish that I did not have anything to do today so that I could keep on reading.

I have read the dialogue of the old man that is a friend of Mina's several times and it's very difficult to understand. Wondering if anyone else experienced the same difficulty.

Dr. Seward is very interesting and I can only assume that he is presiding over the lunatic asylym that is in the near vicinity of Count Dracula's newly purchased property in England. Interesting.

So glad that I ate breakfast long before reading about Dr. Seward's most interesting patient. Disgusting and disturbing.

Kristyn (Kristyn007) I just finished six as well. Didn't even realize I was that far until I turned the page and saw chapter 7.

I had a hard time understanding him as welI did find some of the stuff he said interesting. Epitaphs all being lies on tombstones. I read in another book where the character was saying that no matter how bad a person is alive at funerals everyone always says good things. It's the same with epitaphs. What if when the time for people to go before God on judgement day it is like he says and the dead show their epitaphs as proof that they were good people. What if all tombstones told the truth. "This person was an asshole and nobody will mourn him" and then they are judged by that. "Well sir, your tombstone says you were a bad person, no getting into heaven."

I can't wait to get back and find out what is going on with Jonathan! The rest is not as good as when I am hearing about Jonathan.

Kristyn (Kristyn007) Oh yeah, I gagged at that part too. Really gross.

message 4: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 18, 2012 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer  | 285 comments I have just read chapter six again and I love the atmosphere created with stormy weather, a dying old man, a sleepwalker and luntaics in an asylum. Can the setting be any more ominous? Well except for the scenery in Transylvania and at the Count's castle of course.

I agree that the old man's observation about epitaphs was interesting, now that I understand what he was saying a little bit better.

Catherine Crook Just finished 6, and I very much enjoyed the stories about the tombstones. I agree that I do miss hearing from Jonathan. :-)

Catherine Crook I am also curious to see how the stories of those other than Mina tie the story together.

Amanda I have been so bad about realizing what chapter I am on so I haven't been chiming in a whole lot. I had a hard time getting what the old guy was going on about too, my edition had a second set of endnotes that did some translations though. Of course didn't find it till I finished the book.

I know that patient and his ideas are really creepy. I love that you guys were waiting to get back to Jonathan while I just had written him off as dead. Guess I'm the least optimistic of the bunch.

Kristyn (Kristyn007) I guess it never crossed my mind that he was dead because I thought he was the main character and the book revolved around him. Plus even if he was dead, I would at least want it to go back and give details to his death.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1178 comments Mod
I thought he had thrown himself to his death, but it seems that is not the case. Or, well, it could be, but he failed. How he escaped then is anyone's guess at this point.