San Antonio Public Library discussion

General Information > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rolf (last edited Dec 26, 2007 12:25PM) (new)

Rolf | 6 comments Welcome to the San Antonio Public Library's GoodReads Group! We're just getting started here, so bear with us while we start adding books and other information. And speaking of which, now would be a great time to let us know what you would like to see here as well. If you have a suggestion, please feel free to reply to this topic.

message 2: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) | 3 comments Rolf,

Thank you so much for starting this. Looking forward to reading all the suggestions.

Leigh

message 3: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 1 comments Don't really have any suggestions. Just wanted to show some love to the SAPL. SO happy you all have a great system with the holds and the automated check-out. Plus, I'm happy that the ebook list keeps growing and I can read more books on my Sony eReader.

message 4: by Marcus (new)

Marcus R. | 1 comments Hi i am a new member. take me under you guys wings. i want to be a Avid Reader.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (jflamingo) | 1 comments Marcus wrote: "Hi i am a new member. take me under you guys wings. i want to be a Avid Reader."

Welcome! I am also an avid reader.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Peters | 1 comments H, I lived in San Antonio 1992-1996. Loved those Saturday afternoons on the Riverwalk. I've returned to Australia now. Texas and Australia share many things in common.

I'd like to recommend my favourite novel for the year to you. My dada once said, "Some things are worth telling the world about!" 'In and Out of Step' by Christine M Knight is one such thing. The story is set in coastal Australia and is an accurate and vivid depiction of life today. Its themes are universal. It is a love story and a mystery beautfully blended together. I'd almost gone off reading until I stumbled upon this author. YOU get to FEEL with this novel.

message 7: by TJ (new)

TJ (tamedra) Hello all!!
Everyone calls me TJ so feel free to do the same!! Right now I'm currently reading The Hunger Game Series. I'm on book 3. I find it to be a dull as book 1 and 2 are breathe taking!Hope to see and hear from you guys soon!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandee) | 1 comments hello all... I have been trying for the past couple of years to get this book group back up and running...I had found it here just kind of here...so what is everyone interested in reading and discussing?

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Roller (valerieroller) | 4 comments I'm currently reading Cutting For Stone.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Monica (mgarza) | 7 comments Hello I'm finishing a kids book I got as an ARC: The Templeton Twins Have An Idea which is great but then I plan to start on Bared to You (the next Fifty Shades of Gray). Weird transition right?

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 1 comments Any book groups in the area?

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hughes (quitereasonable) | 1 comments Natalie wrote: "Any book groups in the area?"

San Antonio is kind of big city. Which area are you looking for. I wouldn't mind joining one myself. I'm North Central (at 281 and 1604).

message 13: by Tricia (last edited Feb 05, 2013 08:06AM) (new)

Tricia (triciadm) | 11 comments The San Antonio Public Library has many book groups, you can check them out here: SAPL book groups

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy West (nancygwest) | 32 comments So glad to see a SA Library Goodreads group. I read different types of books, write a mystery series, the 4th, River City Dead, coming out next week. It's set on the River Walk during Fiesta. I just read Daniel Silva's The Black Widow, Foy by Gordon Atkinson, and The Five Worst Months Ever by Kathryn Weeks Folkes, another San Antonio author. So many books. So llittle time. For Natalie, Brook Hollow Library is near you - a great library.

message 15: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Wiley (dorothymwiley) | 2 comments Hi Nancy. Good luck with your new release! I live about an hour from San Antonio on a ranch, but I'm in the "big city" often. I'm also an author with seven books published and an eighth underway. I write historical romance set in 1797 - 1806 on the American frontier. Several are award-winning and they are all highly rated and reviewed on Amazon. Please check them out at www.amazon.com/author/dorothywiley or here on Goodreads
Dorothy Wiley

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy West (nancygwest) | 32 comments Wow, Dorothy, your books look great and reviews are wonderful. I'm glad you contacted me. We'll have to get together and talk shop.

Nancy

message 17: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Wiley (dorothymwiley) | 2 comments Nancy wrote: "Wow, Dorothy, your books look great and reviews are wonderful. I'm glad you contacted me. We'll have to get together and talk shop.

Nancy"
You can contact me anytime through my website www.dorothywiley.com.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Herbic | 1 comments Hi! I'm Teresa Herbic. We are Families for Adoption of San Antonio. I'm author of the book Family Prayer Made Easy with 100 ideas to pray together in unique ways, including great ways to involve kids of all ages. http://whpub.whitakerhouse.com/family...
There’s a free chapter at the site for you. God bless you all!

message 19: by Nancy (new)

Nancy West (nancygwest) | 32 comments Sounds lovely, Teresa. Congratulations! I'll enjoy reading the chapter.

Nancy G. West
Author,Aggie Mundeen Mystery Series

message 20: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Davies | 1 comments Samantha wrote: "H, I lived in San Antonio 1992-1996. Loved those Saturday afternoons on the Riverwalk. I've returned to Australia now. Texas and Australia share many things in common.

I'd like to recommend my fav..."

Nice recommendation! I have a friend who lives near Melbourne who was updating me about the fires as they were happening. I was sad to hear about how it was harming the people, animals and environment. Such beautiful country! If you like to read about the countryside of different countries and its people try An Irish Country Dr. by Patrick Taylor. It's a lovely book series about the doctor and the people in the village where he lives.

message 21: by Cris (new)

Cris (crism) | 76 comments Mod
Jeannette wrote: "Samantha wrote: "H, I lived in San Antonio 1992-1996. Loved those Saturday afternoons on the Riverwalk. I've returned to Australia now. Texas and Australia share many things in common.

I'd like to..."

I'd suggest the mysteries by Rick Riordan for someone looking for books with a strong San Antonio flavor. (At the moment both Southtown and Mission Road are available as ebooks from San Antonio Public Library.)

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy West (nancygwest) | 32 comments We LOVE Australia! For light-hearted mystery with romance on the Riverwalk, try River City Dead.

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 64 comments Many thanks to the new moderators who brought this GoodReads group back to life!

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) Beverly wrote: "Many thanks to the new moderators who brought this GoodReads group back to life!"

Thanks so much Beverly! :)

message 25: by Carly (new)

Carly Friedman (carlykayreads) | 10 comments Hi! I just found and joined this group. Hoping it is still active, as I would love to engage in more book talk with people from San Antonio.

I read lots of nonfiction, YA, and literary fiction. My daughter, who is nine, loves to read as well so YA is a real treat. I am a co-mod on a nonfiction book club on goodreads.

message 26: by NancyMagaly (new)

NancyMagaly | 2 comments I’m excited to have found a local group on Goodreads. I’ve been browsing the threads hoping to see more recent activities. Im a member of a few groups on GR for the monthly and quarterly challenges. If you’re open to suggestions, it would be nice to have buddy reads, pick from my TBR list, and book of the month discussions.
I read most types of books: historical fiction, time travel, suspense/thrillers, contemporary, magic, YA, mystery, paranormal, and fantasy ro name a few.

message 27: by Carly (new)

Carly Friedman (carlykayreads) | 10 comments NancyMagaly wrote: "I’m excited to have found a local group on Goodreads. I’ve been browsing the threads hoping to see more recent activities. Im a member of a few groups on GR for the monthly and quarterly challenges..."

Hi Nancy! I added you :)

message 28: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Marquez | 1 comments Just added the both of you. A friend directed me to this group. I'm always happy to discuss books with other avid readers!!

message 29: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicaandherbooks) | 2 comments Hi all,

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. The Queen of the Tearling (Trilogy) by Erika Johansen
2. Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
3. The Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden
4. The Nevernight Chronicle by Jay Kristoff

Is anyone a fan of any of these authors?

message 30: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
I absolutely LOVED the Tearling Trilogy. It was a lot more brutal than I was ready for (I picked it up as an audiobook under the impression it was a YA title... I lost that idea about midway through the first book), and while the ending of the trilogy was apparently rushed (according to the author), I thought it was pretty brave and brilliant. She's supposed to be coming out with another book (Prophecy of the Tearling), which I'm looking forward to.

message 31: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rowza) | 2 comments Hi everyone! I'm a San Antonio transplant and love it here. I'm originally from Puerto Rico and have lived in SA for about 6-7 years now. I love to read and am really glad I found this group!

I've mostly been catching up on classics through a Goodreads book club, though I do read more current, popular books due to a local book club I'm in as well. Really looking forward to seeing what you folks are reading!

message 32: by Amelia Reyes (new)

Amelia Reyes (ameliareyes) | 1 comments Hi! I've lived in San Antonio all my life. I grew up walking to the Landa Library after school and on the weekends, but now I live kind of far from a library. I'm incredibly appreciative of the digital library since I've been devouring ebooks and audio books. I'm into Sci-fi, fantasy, and murder mysteries (like Agatha Christie's works). I just finished Mexican Gothic, and I look forward to R.F. Kuang's The Burning God. I'd be interested to learn more Sci-fi & Fantasy women writers. Thanks!

message 33: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 94 comments Mod
I loved Six of Crows! I've struggled with reading Bardugo because her settings are fantastic, but her characters tend to fall flat for me. Six of Crows was the perfect magical heist story, and I couldn't put it down.

Otherwise, I've been wanting to read Jay Kristoff, but just haven't picked up any of the books yet.

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Avina | 19 comments Sharon
I read in just about every genre , except for fantasy and romance. Fantasy and sci-fi seems to be very popular with young people.

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
I think a lot of the audience for Westerns has moved to fantasy and science fiction; you still have Western readers, but not as many new ones.