Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Archive > Kimi no Sei (君のせい) / It's Your Fault

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoebe (last edited Feb 11, 2013 09:23PM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Who wants to buddy read with me? ^^

Kimi no Sei, Vol. 1 (Kimi no Sei, #1) by Sakura Iro Kimi no Sei, Vol. 2 (Kimi no Sei, #2) by Sakura Iro Kimi no Sei, Vol. 3 (Kimi no Sei, #3) by Sakura Iro
Kimi no Sei (君のせい) / It's Your Fault
It has 3 volumes :D

Genre: Drama, Josei, Psychological, Romance, Slice Of Life

Manga Summary:
Takaya has fallen in love at first sight with a girl he saw at his college. The only problem is that she happens to be Yurina, the girl he spent his elementary school days tormenting. While he hardly remembers her from those days, Yurina hates him with a passion. She holds him responsible for all the lasting emotional and psychological scars that were caused by the years he made her life a living hell. Takaya hopes they'll be able to move past their history and fall in love, but can Yurina ever feel anything for him but hatred and the desire for revenge?
---------------
The love story Kimi-no-sei (It’s your fault) was sent in to a keitai novel site in 2008 became hugely popular and was published as a book that same year, and the next year it was also turned into a manga and a TV drama.

~*~*~
a volume per week so we can discuss it ;)
Starting Date:
Oct. 20, 2012 - Week One: Vol. 1 = 2 chapters
Oct. 27, 2012 - Week Two: Vol. 2 = 3 chapters

Nov. 3, 2012 - Week Three: Vol. 3 = 4 chapters

you can still catch up with discussions & free to rant or rave ;)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, this looks really interesting. If I can obtain a copy and find the time, I'd love to. Although, it seems I'll have to read it online.

message 3: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Wednesday wrote: "Ooh, this looks really interesting. If I can obtain a copy and find the time, I'd love to. Although, it seems I'll have to read it online."

it's available on mangafox link :)

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments This sounds like a fun manga. I'd love to read it with you!

message 5: by Phoebe (last edited Oct 15, 2012 08:21PM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Kristen wrote: "This sounds like a fun manga. I'd love to read it with you!"

Yay~ Is it alright with you if we have a slow pace, one volume per week? When do you want to start?

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Slow pace is fine with me and I don't really have a preference for when we start. Whatever you would like to do :)

message 7: by Velveteen (new)

Velveteen Rabbit (Balthiersrabbit) | 39 comments I'll read it too

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Slower is preferable. It gives me time to read it between all the other stuff going on. :)

message 9: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Kristen, Marky, & Wednesday: Let's start this week then :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

That works for me. :)

message 11: by jenny (new)

jenny It sounds good. Would you mind if I joined you guys?

message 12: by Phoebe (last edited Oct 16, 2012 04:56AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Jennifer (jeejee) wrote: "It sounds good. Would you mind if I joined you guys?"

sure. anyone is free to join ;)

message 13: by Harshini (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 451 comments Pooh, maybe I would join too :) but I might miss a volume but I will catch up.is that okay?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It does sound interesting. I'm gonna try and read it as well. If I'm not swamped with school work.

message 15: by Phoebe (last edited Oct 16, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Harshini WatchMeRead: it's okay. :) maybe we'll just use spoiler tags [spoiler][/spoiler] so we can't spoil if we need to talk about some things

Morgan: you're welcome to join us :D

message 16: by Phoebe (last edited Oct 16, 2012 04:43PM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments It seems like there are some who still wants to join.
So let's wait a little while, and set the starting date on Oct. 20, 2012. ;)
thank you for joining :D i thought no one would

message 17: by Harshini (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 451 comments Ok Thanks. and lol

message 18: by Phoebe (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:10PM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments For those who finished reading volume 1, let's start the discussion ;)
(give insights, ask questions, answer questions or whatever you want to say unless it's offensive/inappropriate)

This is a typical shoujo love story but I like it. And I love the art.
Because of his stories from the past, she's seeing Takaya in a new light. :D I like the part where (view spoiler)
What are your thoughts? :D

Week 1 - Oct. 20-26
some questions you might want to answer:
1. Two things were claimed in this manga: 1) karma and 2) love at first sight. Do you believe both of these things, either one or none? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Yurino's revenge is justifiable?
3. If you're Yurino, what do you think you would do?
4. What can you say about the plot? Did your heart made doki doki (heartbeat)?
5. Do you think Takaya's hot? elaborate

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I intended to read volume 1 this weekend, but my screen broke on my laptop. I have found a temporary fix until I can get the money for a new screen. That has really set me back in so many things.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed volume 1. Although I am not sure I can believe in the concept of love at first sight. Then again I have never really loved anyone. So I might just be biased on the subject. Now liking someone a lot upon first meeting is completely possible. Sometimes you find someone you are really drawn to.  I can relate really well to yurina when it comes to holding grudges regarding bullies from childhood. But can someone really be blamed for something they did in fourth grade? He seems remorseful for how he treated her and too genuinely care. I like him a lot!

message 21: by Phoebe (last edited Oct 26, 2012 12:22AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Wednesday: Oh that's description

Morgan: Same here. I might also be a biased because I haven't fall in love yet but I don't believe in love at first sight. I think it's liking someone for their appearance and first impressions.

I was bullied when I was little but I already forgiven the guy that bullied me. And I think Takaya's really really sincere :D

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I just finished volume one! I think it's pretty cute so far. The character designs are very nice.
I like that delves a bit into bullying and the different forms it takes. Bullying happens a lot in manga, but don't think there a many that show how it affects the character as well as this one has so far.
I think that Yurina's quest for revenge is silly. I don't think that revenge is ever a good solution, especially for something that was done by a child. I had a bully in middle school and it wasn't fun, but I became frinds with her just a few years later. Just like Takaya, she didn't remember doing it, but she apologized. That is enough for me.
I like where the series is going. I can't wait to read volume two!

message 23: by jenny (new)

jenny I finished the first volume and I really like it so far. I don't really believe in "love at first sight", but I do think you can feel an instant connection with someone. It takes awhile to truly develop into love.

I started thinking how differently people are affected by events in their pasts. While some are able to put traumatic events behind them, others are never able to forget and it can cast a shadow over their lives.

I had a bully in grade school and a few years later I saw him become a victim of another bully. It gave me no sense of satisfaction. I still felt bad for him even though he did the same thing to me. Some would say it was Karma....and he never did become a cute guy like Takaya ;)

I think Yurina should forget about what happened in the past. Takaya has done a lot of growing up and he obviously feels remorse.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm hoping to read the first volume in the morning. I'll come back to say what I think, but this sounds like just the kind of series I love.

message 25: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Kristen wrote: "Bullying happens a lot in manga, but don't think there a many that show how it affects the character as well as this one has so far."

That is true, it always happen especially when girls/fans get jealous to the heroine. But here it shows how bullies can really affect person as a whole. And now I get curious to know the perception or feelings of the ones who bullies people.

Jennifer (jeejee) wrote: "I don't really believe in "love at first sight", but I do think you can feel an instant connection with someone."

Is that what we call spark? hihi I wanted to experience it lol :D

"While some are able to put traumatic events behind them, others are never able to forget and it can cast a shadow over their lives."

I very much agree with this ^

Wednesday: :D

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I finished volume two! It was a bit up and down for me: I really enjoyed some parts and other parts I found infuriating. This volume has made me realize how much I absolutely love Takuto. He is such a sweetie pie ^w^ I've also realized how much I detest Rino's guts. She shows up a lot in this volume and hated every panel she was in.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I just now finished volume 1. I'm so behind.

I'm not sure about Karma. I make jokes about it, but I don't think I'm a firm believer. As far as love at first sight... I don't believe in people falling head over heels for a person upon first seeing them. However, I asked my boyfriend out the night I met him and we've been together for 3 years (this Wednesday actually!), which is similar to the concept of love at first sight.

I think Yurina goes a little far with her revenge, but I understand what she's going through and why she would feel the need for revenge. I was heavily bullied throughout elementry and middle school, and it has carried over into my everyday life, even though I'm in college. I'm am super self-conscious and have social anxiety. Would I like for my past bullies to get what they deserve? Of course. But I wouldn't use all my energy trying to get revenge.

The manga itself was alright. I think part of my problem was the translation. It was distracting and at times hard to follow. I haven't really gotten too deep into the series yet. The characters feel kind of shallow to me and the artwork is pretty, but kind of bland. It was very flat. There wasn't much shading or use of textures. I feel like the characters, plot, and artwork could have been more developed, but I love the concept of a girl who gets bullied and reunites with her bully, but her bully actually likes her now. It just feels like it's missing something.

message 28: by Phoebe (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:54AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Wednesday wrote: we've been together for 3 years (this Wednesday actually!)
congratulations on your anniversary :)

I think part of my problem was the translation. It was distracting and at times hard to follow.
yes. and that's a common issue with translated mangas, it's essence/real meaning of the words seems to fade if there is no nearest/equivalent English word

I guess we all had bad experiences with bullies.

Week 2 - Oct. 27-Nov.2
1. As a friend, do you think it was alright to entrust your friend with a stranger (like Aki trust Yurina with Rino)?
2. What can you say about the teacher-student relationship of Yurina & Ichinose-sensei?
3. Express your hate or use sarcastic words to describe Rino or Yoshizawa and the girls who bullied Yurina

Awww Takaya <3 The more she pushes him, the more he stays.

Kristen wrote: It was a bit up and down for me
That's also what I feel. I understand both their sides & it's sad. But I think they really fit for each other. I really hate Rino and (view spoiler)

Happy Halloween to all :D

message 29: by Kristen (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Phoebe, I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I think that your formatting is really nice. That first post of yours looks really professional.

Also, I think you and I hate Rino for the same reason. (There's some major spoilers in here) (view spoiler)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen, I agree. Phoebe, would you mind if I used similar formatting for MR's in the future? I'm still trying to find a good way to discuss the MR's. I also like the idea of having discussion questions rather than just posting a topic and letting members try to figure out what to say.

message 31: by Phoebe (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Kristen: Thanks. :)
Oops, I read the spoiler but it's okay haha
I hate her but I assumed that Rino will contribute to make Yurina jealous..?

Wednesday: Sure, it's a pleasure :D

message 32: by jenny (new)

jenny I personally don't think it was right for Aki to leave Yurina in Rino's care when she was that impaired. You should definitely stay with your friend or see them safely home in a case like this.

I haven't yet decided how I feel about Yurina and Ichinose-sensei's relationship. Sometimes it seems creepy and other times I feel like he cares about her and is trying to help her resolve some issues.

I REALLY REALLY dislike Rino. I can't stand the kind of girl who aggressively tries to befriend you just so she can stab you in the back. It's hard to understand why Takaya would be friends with a skeeze who tells outright lies just to sabotage his relationship.

message 33: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments Ha! I knew this was a josei! but the art confussed me and I thought it was a shoujo...

I liked the manga. Sure, it is not one of those which make me awwwww I loooooove it but it was nice. I think I liked Yurina more than the others. Her reasons to be resentful are not silly. True, he was a kid, she should forget about it, but in reality, it is hard to forgive someone who affected so negatively in your life. At least now she perceives that he is a good and nice guy.

message 34: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Jennifer (jeejee) wrote: It's hard to understand why Takaya would be friends with a skeeze who tells outright lies just to sabotage his relationship.

I think Takaya was different before he met Yurina again, maybe. :)

I see Ichinose-sensei as creepy all the time lol

Sakura Yue wrote:Ha! I knew this was a josei! but the art confussed me and I thought it was a shoujo.

Yes it is confusing but I think what makes it josei is that some younger girls won't fully understand the topic of revenge, trauma & hatred that are not mostly present in shoujo. :)

it is hard to forgive someone who affected so negatively in your life.

I agree, it really depends on how people's actions affect others.

message 35: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 23 comments Week 3 - Nov.3
Because it's the last volume, I set more questions (some are shallow lol).
[ You may choose what to answer or not but share what's on your mind or how do you feel ;) ]

1. Overall, did you like the series? Why/why not?
Rate the illustration & the story. (5 being the greatest to 1 being poor)
2. If you can talk to Rino, what would you say/advice?
3. Who's your favorite character?
4. If Takaya did not appear in the picture, do you think Ichinose-sensei would make a move to Yurina?
5. Chihiro does whatever Rino tells him to do but do you think it's a great characteristic of a brother?
6. Chihiro has a strong personality, can you see him as a main guy character?
7. Takaya did something in the last part, isn't it sweet?
8. "It's your fault" (p. 29) It was finally said now that it's over, give its implication if you see one. :D
9. Do you have any thoughts on the bonus chapter?
10. Kyaa~! You've finished reading it. Dance or sing randomly jk ;D

I really like the ending. I was touched. (view spoiler)

Thank you for reading with me & joining the discussion. ;)

message 36: by jenny (new)

jenny Overall I did like the series. I didn't love it because the story seemed a bit shallow to me. Like it was missing something. But I did have fun reading it. 3.5 stars

My advice to Rino: Get some therapy girl!

My favorite character was Takaya.

As to the relationship between Ichinose-sensei and Yurina, I never put much thought into what was going on with them. It seemed like the author just used Ichinose-sensei to add tention to the story, create jealousy from Takaya, and have someone Yurina could use as an adviser. It seemed like he was going to be a bigger part of the story, but he ended up just kind of fading away.

I don't think Chihiro's mindless obedience to his sister is a good trait. I wouldn't read a story in which he was a main character. He should spend some time in jail for what he did.

(view spoiler)