Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > automation and the future of work...(bathing line is drawn in the sand - on which side do you stand?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 14, 2009 11:37AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I recently mentioned that my local supermarket now has automated check-out systems. Yes, I know you probably got them years ago, but I live in Wisconsin, where we've just discovered the marcarena and rubik's cube. Now, anyway, our library has automatic checkout systems, too. I half-expect every retail outlet I enter to contain some form of automation. A lot of manufacturing jobs in Wisconsin have been lost to automation, too.

So...what do you think? What gigs will end up automated? What will never be automated? What are the pros and cons of automation and the removal of the "human factor" from interactions? What will be people do for work if jobs continue to be automated?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Fix the automation.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) They are developing robots that will 1) build the automated devices, and 2) fix them.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I know some people who refuse to use Self-Checkout at the grocery store because they see it as stealing jobs from the checkers.
I'm not so picky, I guess, because if I just have a couple of things, and the regular lines are long, I make a beeline for them.

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I'm in IT, and I used to think that my days were numbered and that everything would be automated at some point. This may still happen one day, but not for another 20-30 years at least. It seems like that there are still so many older folks in the workforce who didn't grow up around computers and totally freak out and get inarticulate at the most benign error message and need someone to stand behind them and watch while they reboot. So I think my job is still fairly safe.

As you mentioned RA I can see that at some point it will become more and more rare to be rang up by a human cashier in retail and fast food environments. Both of these industries suffer from the unfortunate attitude that their employees are liabilities instead of assets, and one can see that pay, benefits, and even employee training have taken a turn towards "sucks" in recent years. The only reason that this hasn't happened sooner are the people that I mentioned above who freak out about computers. A few years ago our local Kmart installed four of those self service checkouts but then removed them because they were so massively unpopular. I kind of like them, but at the same time it worries me as far as what jobs will be available to folks without a HS or college degree with no specialized skills. At least we still have a vibrant manufacturing sector...oh wait, nevermind.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments automation is the only way we can compete in the global market and at the same time it is doing away with all the tasks that used to be performed by people. i hope there is never a machine that scoops ice cream into a cone

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) At least we still have a vibrant manufacturing sector...oh wait, nevermind.

Past tense called for here.

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I ditched the past tense in favor of sarcasm.:)

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well done.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
I love the automated check out when I have something embarrassing to purchase. Otherwise I enjoy the human interaction.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Anyone who has ever shopped at a Menards will recognize how awkward their set-up is. The cashier stands with his/her back to you, making personal interactions kind of weird. I don't like that store.

I remember when I first started using the automated check-outs. I would talk back to them because it always seemed the machines were harassing me to do things. Please place the item in the bag. Please insert cash in the slot. Please take your items.

I AM already! Give me s freaking second to do it!

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments embarrassing to purchase? like 2 gallons of Wesson oil, 25' of plastic sheeting, red leather chaps and a Barry White CD?

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

...er...

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I was thinking more along the lines of a frozen pizza, a pint of ice cream, and 3.2 beer on a Sat night when I'm wearing sweats.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait...I'm supposed to be embarrassed to buy beer, ice cream, and pizza?

Damn.

Those are some judgmental people at the checkout lanes. I hate you, checkout bitches. Don't look at me! I just want my pizza, beer, and ice cream! And maybe pop tarts.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't think that is what sally was originally talking about. she said embarrassing to buy, not embarrassed to be buying

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hey, when I'm buying stuff I always check out the other people in line and judge them for how they're dressed, how they smell, and the crap they're buying to eat.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments How they smell?

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments not me. i am looking at the Enquirer cover of Lisa Marie and her alien children or Oprah's secret midget lover

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

"I hate you, checkout bitches" woke up my cats with the laughter.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sure thing. Some people go out in public smelling very badly, you know.

message 23: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Their noses don't work?

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Um ...

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Some of us like to take the weekend off from bathing, thank you very much.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's what I'm talking about.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think many people in Colorado have, ahem, interesting views on bathing. When I visit my brother he tries to tell me that I shouldn't shower everyday, then he tells me to rub crystals on myself instead of deodorant.

I'm not kidding.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments [sally just sallies around her embarrassing purchasing:]

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

You shouldn't shower every day. It dries out the skin. Perhaps we in Colorado up here at elevation have different views on bathing because we are more in tune with the Earth and we like to waste less water.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Chris tried Tom's of Maine, and it gave him a rash. And wasn't particularly effective, either. So he was smelly and scratchy. Really not was he was hoping for in a deodorant...

message 31: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So how often should you shower?

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Higher elevation gives you a better perspective, huh? Or maybe it's the lower oxygen in the air?

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments her in IN we bath and/or shower OR gets hosed down at least 3x per day cause we flat out stink AND we believe natural resources will last at least the duration of our pathetic lives

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin, that is sad. RA, monthly? Larry, clearer minds.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah. we are sad but we smell decent

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, there no sense in showering if you're not going to change underwear.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

I believe "flat out stink" doesn't signify a decent smell.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments post hose down sally

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Monthly? You're kidding, right?

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments plus we live in swine country so all is relative

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Relative of swine?

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, kidding. Every other day sans weekends is my M.O.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments No, man, I have to shower every day. I can't wake without a shower. And I'd feel gross all day. Maybe if I wasn't working I could pull it off.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Suddenly I feel I've revealed too much. I'm going to go make that tea and read that book and try to regrow a few brain cells and not think about giant turkey legs.

message 45: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I might read some Lawrence. As much as I think Kate Hudson is cute, this movie is scary bad.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments this is a reasonably transparent group

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

If you scratch off a few layers of dirt, that is.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love baths. I get lots of reading done that way.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love the name Jackie "the Librarian". i want a cooler name on here

message 50: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 14, 2009 01:39PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's to distinguish me from all those other Jackies on GoodReads.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.