Open Mind, Open Heart discussion

New to Group > Why did you join this group?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Well, I thought this would be a fun question to get to know one another better.

I started this group because I'm on a vision quest of sorts. I'm learning to become more present and I wanted to connect with others who are seeking their own spiritual fulfillment. I decided to let the law of attraction guide this group, so I didn't invite anyone. I trusted that people interested would find me. That's an odd thing for someone in marketing to do!

message 2: by Myra (new)

Myra | 19 comments I'm hoping to get some more insight from folks who have been living this "lifestyle" longer than me. It's all still very new to me and I don't have anyone around me who agrees with it.

message 3: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Myra wrote: "I'm hoping to get some more insight from folks who have been living this "lifestyle" longer than me. It's all still very new to me and I don't have anyone around me who agrees with it."

Ahhh, so people look at you like you're nuts, too? Good to know I'm not alone!

message 4: by Francine (new)

Francine Myra, people around you will not understand, some will not accept, most people fear what they do not know, most people are afraid of change, and it is easier for them to 'cast the stone' at the 'stranger' than to ask themselves the question "what if". Hold on to your beliefs, they are yours and unique and to be cherished.

message 5: by Myra (new)

Myra | 19 comments Starr wrote: "Myra wrote: "I'm hoping to get some more insight from folks who have been living this "lifestyle" longer than me. It's all still very new to me and I don't have anyone around me who agrees with it...."
Yes, I've gone from the conservative Christian of the bunch, to the most liberal I suppose. It's hardest with my husband....I try to keep in mind that he's on his own journey and if he's not ready, he's not ready. But he does not like for me to think anything different from him, or "talk" with others who are like-minded b/c then he's not part of it..

message 6: by Myra (new)

Myra | 19 comments Francine wrote: "Myra, people around you will not understand, some will not accept, most people fear what they do not know, most people are afraid of change, and it is easier for them to 'cast the stone' at the 'st..."
Thanks for those words of wisdom! I try to just do my own thing (my husband is somehow threated by all of this) b/c I know he's on his own journey.
How much does meditation play in your spirituality? I have tried to get a "practice" going, but with four kids....and a husband who frowns upon it....

message 7: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
It's odd, but my mother and I have become the "odd" ducks in our immediate family (though like you, Myra, my b-friend is on his own "journey" as well). I rode the fence for a long time and am just now starting to become more open-minded about metaphyscial concepts. They just really make sense now. My family, however, are far from strict Christians...more like wild west agnostics and even then I am not sure how accurate that is!

Meditation is hard for me and I have no excuse not to practice...other than it scares the bejesus out of me. Sounds weird, but I have had some odd experiences while meditating that have made me wonder if I fell asleep and was just dreaming. I have this whole trust issue with God, and other human beings for that matter, which seems to prevent me from really diving in. I'm working through it.

Perhaps "getting into the gap" would help you? It's a book with a meditation CD by Wayne Dyer (see the poll section and if you haven't voted for the March book, please do so). It has helped me. Also, I tend to meditate with mantras as well. One of my favs is "be still" (breathe in while saying it silently to yourself) "and know that I am God" (exhale while saying this). Concentrating on your breath and the words helps. If you want to scratch your nose, don't. Just notice that you want to scratch your nose (even say that to yourself "I notice that I want to scrtach my nose")and continue to concentrate on breathing. And if you can figure out how NOT to scratch your nose, let me know! I can "notice it" for about 30 seconds before I have to scratch!! The meditation advice was told to me by someone who teaches meditation.

message 8: by Francine (new)

Francine Myra, it would be a very good thing if you and your husband could agree on one thing, and that is to try to accept to respect each other's beliefs. By that I mean the end goal is to 'respect' the other's beliefs, before that is to 'accept' to respect, and before being able to do that you both have to be willing to 'try' to accept to respect.
My choice would be to discuss this with my husband (you may feel free and able to do so directly, you may choose the support of a mutual friend or of a counsellor, whatever works for you), the key is communication. In my opinion, if both of you can agree on this (even if you disagree with each other's beliefs - it is best not to discuss these at all anyway, not now) you have a very good chance of achieving your goals and aspirations.

message 9: by Allan (new)

Allan Hi all. I just joined goodreads and this is my first group and first comment. Here seemed like the best place to jump in the pool to find similar dolphins to me.

message 10: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Welcome Allan!

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 4 comments I am kind of new to this quest. I've been reading a lot about reincarnation, and learning to use crystals, and mediating. my daughter understands my journey, and is on a similar path. Others have accused me of being a Voodoo queen. so I for the most part keep my path to myself. I'm so glad that you formed this group and I can talk freely about my discoveries. Right now I'm reading a Purpose driven life recommended to me on another group.

message 12: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Margaret, I'm so glad that you feel comfortable expressing yourself in this forum.

I've heard a lot about A Purpose Drive life, but haven't had an opportunity to read it. Please consider starting a thread that helps others fully explore this book. Maybe you post your reflections about certain thoughts discussed, or maybe you ask others questions about ideas that are being discussed. Of course this is just a suggestion and I want you to do what feels right to you.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna Fasano | 4 comments Hi, everyone! I'm Donna and I'm new to Goodreads and this is my first group. I've been reading books on spirituality for quite a while now. In fact, my brother and I have a study-group-of-2 going and we have a really good time reading and talking about this subject. My 2 favs of all the books I've read are The Sacred Art of Lovingkindness by Rami Shapiro and Stillness Speaks by Tolle. I'm happy to have found this group and look forward to learning and growing with all of you.

message 14: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Welcome Donna!

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cbhatnag) | 2 comments Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and new to book clubs in general. I have been reading books on spirituality for a couple of years now and thought I would look for a book club that has similar interest as I do. I have read "The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment" and really enjoyed it. Currently I am reading "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying". To describe myself I would say that I am on a spiritual journey and would like to find more time to read, meditate, practice yoga (preferably Kundalini),eat healthy and ride my bike. I hope there are others in this group that I will be able to connect with... there doesn't seem to be much activity but I thought I would give it a try anyway :)

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 1 comments Hi Cynthia,
I don't often use this site because most of the books being discussed I already read a few years ago. However, I am really interested in your comments. I, too, am on a spiritual journey and am trying to read different books on meditation and other religions. I would love to know what else you have read.

message 17: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cbhatnag) | 2 comments Hi Marie,

Thank you for responding to my post :) I never liked to read until a few years ago so I can't say I have read a lot of books in my life. I would say I have a lot of catching up to do LOL A couple of my favorites books so far include Journey Of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton and some of his other works and Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss. I sent you a friend request so you can take a look at my shelves of the books I have read so far and the ones I am collecting for future reading :) The book I am reading now The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Rinpoche, Sogyal is amazing! I sure wish I would have read it a few years earlier before my father in-law had passed. I was the only one with my father-in law the night he died, it was such a spiritual experience and privileged for me that I can't even begin to explain!

message 18: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 3 comments Hi Cynthia:
Yes, the group is not too active, but don't get discouraged. I personally read a variety of spiritual and quasi metaphysical genres. I have read a lot of Doreen Virtue and Brian Weiss, MD. I also like Marth Beck. I'm sure I'm behind the curve here, but I just started reading Eat, Pray, Love. I hadn't been drawn to it until I happened upon an Oprah show in which she featured the author. Her story of self discovery really spoke to me, so I just picked it up yesterday and started reading it. I have other spiritual books that I've read, but I'll have to go look at my bookshelves to give you a more thorough answer. Hope that helps a little.

Cynthia wrote: "Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and new to book clubs in general. I have been reading books on spirituality for a couple of years now and thought I would look for a book club that has simila..."

message 19: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Jacqueline wrote: "Hi Cynthia:
Yes, the group is not too active, but don't get discouraged. I personally read a variety of spiritual and quasi metaphysical genres. I have read a lot of Doreen Virtue and Brian Weis..."

Cynthia and Jacqueline, please feel free to start threads about any of these books. I'm sure we'd all love to read what you have to say. :)

message 20: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 3 comments Hi Starr:
I'm sorry if I sounded negative re the group. Not at all. I love reading all the comments members write. But, you're right; we should get our own threads going!
Starr wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Hi Cynthia:
Yes, the group is not too active, but don't get discouraged. I personally read a variety of spiritual and quasi metaphysical genres. I have read a lot of Doreen Vi..."

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (krondalou) | 3 comments hi everyone,
i really enjoy this group---i would love to be more active in it.
I am reading a book on the Spirituality of water;; it is reallly good; talks about water as an organism and how it carry's vibrations within it....lots of cool concepts. and it began me thinking and researching drinking water, after finding out that all water is not created equally. tap water has all sorts of strange chemical residues in it and is very acidic, well water can be full of minerals yet also chemicals and can be acidic, "filtered" water can be very acidic and devoid of life.....
In response to jaqueline's list of books she has been reading; i read Eat Pray Love a while ago and really enjoyed it, i read it very quickly and could relate to much of the story and journey. i will be interested to hear what you think about it.
Has anyone read BodyMind by Ken Dychtwald?
amanda

message 22: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 3 comments Hi Amanda: So far Eat, Pray, Love hasn't disappointed. Yes, it is a quick read, and I, too can relate to what she went through. I would love to have the means to study at an Ashram but will content myself for the time being with living through the writer.

message 23: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Carbis (anthonycarbis1tesconet) | 1 comments Hi I'm new here. I was attracted to this group (a) because I have been interested in Eastern Philosophy for nearly forty years and (b) because I have two books published on Amazon that have quite a lot of philosophical content. The first is 'Murder and Enlightenment'. The second is 'People, Pubs and Enlightenment'. I am not actually giving them away but they have been priced low. If anyone does read them it would be great to have some feedback.
I would like to make one statement that is central to my perspective on existence which is, 'You are the universe knowing itself'. Once the implications of this statement is fully realised a 'shift' in one's perspective on life can be experienced. I would be interested to know if anyone finds this meaningful. In the meantime, Hi - it's nice to be here.

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Jan 22, 2012 03:41PM) (new)

Lisa   (peacewalker) I joined this group because I feel that I am on a spiritual journey. I want to know other people who think similarly. I strive to live 'in the now' which can be difficult but I believe that is where peace resides. I agree with Anthony's comment above about the universe knowing itself. I have heard that before & it rings true for me in a way that's hard to describe but I do believe that we are a universe becoming aware of itSelf. I also believe that is God. I don't believe God can be put in any one religion or ANY religion for that matter. How can It if we are ALL a manifestation of God? With this realization came relief for me but I also know that this same realization can be thoroughly upsetting to a lot of people because it can be comforting to know that God is on MY side. But isn't it possible that we are all manifestations of one God & religion developed as that particular culture's way of 'connecting' or worshipping this one God? So then, for me, it comes down to respect & compassion for other cultures & religions even if I don't agree with everything. Because if we ARE " . . . the universe knowing itself" & we ARE manifestations of God then we ARE all one. We are all of the same stuff. :)