Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > Importing from Shelfari.

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Oct 13, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Courtney (CanadianGirlCB) | 663 comments Hi,

I am hoping to import my shelfari info onto goodreads (I have a few hundred books on there - I don't want to go through that manually, TYVM).
I have a few questions I am hoping for info on before I start.
1) I added some books as I read them to both Shelfari and goodreads. Is this going to cause some kind of issue if the computer tries importing the titles?
2)I have a few books on my shelf that I dont' think are on goodreads (they're part of a scholastic education ...imprint? series?, IIRC). I added two from the series already, but will the import add the others to the Goodreads catalogue?
3)Any recommendations on the best (efficient) way to start adding reviews and ratings, since those don't import as well?

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (CanadianGirlCB) | 663 comments Oh! 4) Will books marked as to-read, etc. automatically be added to the right place? I'm assuming this is probably a yes (and a stupid question), but the download COULD theoretically download only the ones you've read or something...

message 3: by C-Cose (last edited Oct 13, 2012 02:39PM) (new)

C-Cose Daley | 128 comments Courtney wrote: "Oh! 4) Will books marked as to-read, etc. automatically be added to the right place? I'm assuming this is probably a yes (and a stupid question), but the download COULD theoretically download only ..."

I've checked for info on this and found the following link that clearly describes how one can import a current book collection from various sites or a properly formatted list:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/import

If you click on the "supported file formats" link you'll find further info on what sites are supported for direct import :)

message 4: by Renske (new)

Renske | 6479 comments There are types of files for importing and exporting your books. At 'my books' is on the left 'tools', including import/export. There you can find information.

For questions like this is the Feedback group a better place.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (CanadianGirlCB) | 663 comments Renske wrote: "For questions like this is the Feedb..."

I tried seeing if there was any general-purpose group for Shelfari before I posted on here, but none that came up in my search looked like what I was looking for.

Is it just called Shelfari feedback or something similar?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2439 comments Courtney wrote: "Renske wrote: "For questions like this is the Feedb..."

I tried seeing if there was any general-purpose group for Shelfari before I posted on here, but none that came up in my search looked like w..."

She meant the Goodreads Feedback group, they handle user issues/bugs and librarians handle updating/creating book records

Here is the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (CanadianGirlCB) | 663 comments C-Cose wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh! 4) Will books marked as to-read, etc. automatically be added to the right place? I'm assuming this is probably a yes (and a stupid question), but the download COULD theoretical..."
Thanks! That link looks helpful. I'll have to check it out. :)

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (CanadianGirlCB) | 663 comments Dutch wrote: "Wow! I wish I had known this when I came over here! :)"

It's not perfect, I'll still have to add reviews and ratings. But at least I won't have to go and add each book myself to my shelves.

If you search Import under the help section you get a paragraph of info on how. It doesn't give detail on some stuff, though, like shelving titles that aren't in the goodreads catalogue.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.