Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Pseudonyms

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimjlaird) | 16 comments Because I realized that Margaret Lawrence had no bio on here, I decided to see if I could find some information on her. I've written up the biography (with source information) but do have a question not covered in the pseudonym part oft he manual. Do I put down the some biography under all three names she wrote under? (Margaret Keilstrup, M.K. Lorens, and Margaret (k) Lawrence.And adding the other names she wrote under to all her books.... is that the right thing to do? Thanks in advance.

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments If a book was published only under one name, then extra names do not get added to the books. Instead, you add a link to the author description, linking to the other author profile.

If a book is published under one name/pseduonym, then republished later under a different name, then the original name is primary on all editions. The additional names get added as a secondary author on the editions/reprints to which they apply (not all editions).

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimjlaird) | 16 comments So, just add http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... to the other author profiles?

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimjlaird) | 16 comments I will add, there is no field specifically called author description, so I have to assume that I just put that information in the place where the biography would normally go.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimjlaird) | 16 comments And, how do you break the non-Margaret Lawrences off? By that I mean, the author name is relatively common, and Margaret K. Lawrence (1943) is not the same as the school of feminity Margaret Lawrence. There's even a 1893 Margaret Lawrence....

message 6: by vicki_girl (last edited Oct 13, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Yes, the author biography section is where it would go. To separate authors with the same name, we use extra spaces. So Margaret Lawrence (1943) would be Margaret^^Lawrence, where ^ represents a space. Unless she actually wrote under Margaret K. Lawrence. Then you would add the initial.

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 16 comments Balázs Pataki wrote his first book under the pseudonym John Mason. All subsequent books have been published under his real name, and he has requested that his first book also appear under his own profile.

How do I merge the two author profiles, given that, although they are the same person, the names appear completely different?

message 8: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 871 comments Since his first book was written as John Mason, that profile needs to remain, so people who own that book can find it. What we can do to help Mr. Pataki is add his real name as a secondary author for that book. That way the book will appear on his Balás Pataki profile, but people will still be able to find the book by searching John Mason.

You can also add a link on the John Mason profile page, linking it to the Balás Pataki profile and noting that it is a pseudonym.

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 16 comments Thanks, Jennifer. I have done what you suggested.