UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #7

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17939 comments Oops I forgot to start this yesterday...

message 2: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17939 comments Ok so this months writing challenge is inspired by this:

The man pushes open the heavy oak door and enters the church. He waits patiently to be called in to the confession box. Nearby, a kneeling lady stands and walks out of the church, taken aback by the man's appearance. His face is painted white and he is wearing a bright red nose. On his breast is pinned a comedy flower and on his feet is a pair of oversized shoes. Moments later, the clown enters the box and the reverend invites him to confess.

Write a piece of up to 200 words. It might describe the events leading up to this, or a description of the confession itself.

Please PM all entries to me by midnight next wed and do not post them here as we want it to be anonymous.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 8480 comments This is a good one!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments T'is!

Who set it?

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17939 comments Jonathan, the winner of the last one

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments I have a brain like a sieve. Couldn't recall who won last.

message 7: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments I'm in...

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments It reminds me of a joke. A confessional joke. Don't know if I dare retell it because youve probably all heard it!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Tell it!

message 10: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17939 comments Yea go on tell it!

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments I bet it one Jonathan's heard!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments What a great idea. I will have a go.

Come on Ignite..... Tell the joke.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 8480 comments TELL THE JOKE!

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments NO! It'll be my entry!

message 15: by Grant (new)

Grant (GrantJamesTurner) | 109 comments I am going to give this months a go :)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Ignite wrote: "NO! It'll be my entry!"

Oh, that's different then.

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments I bet you get 6 versions of the same old joke! It'll be down to the way we tell 'em!

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Done it! Will email in to Jud later.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments I haven't heard this joke, I don't think!
I have no idea where this idea came from. I just drove past a church and thought, what if I were to involve a clown?
Enjoy writing!

message 20: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments that actually happened to me yesterday...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments Mine is on its way......

Jenny (Border Dweller) | 210 comments I had an unusual window in which not having urgent stuff to do coincided with having internet access, so I sent in my entry earlier today. Huzzah!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments I won't be able to set up the poll for this....

Hello Patti :) :) :)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Oh you're just a lazy bum, Simon. :)

Remind me when it's time to set up the poll please.

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments I'm sure Jenny know the joke of which I speak. I bet you get 2 versions of this - a writerly brilliant one and a readerly naff one!

message 26: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Ignite wrote: "I'm sure Jenny know the joke of which I speak. I bet you get 2 versions of this - a writerly brilliant one and a readerly naff one!"

a dialectic joke?

message 27: by Kath (last edited Oct 14, 2012 01:57AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments ... a dire eclectic joke

message 28: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments okay I think I'm building up a picture now...

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Ignite wrote: "... a dire eclectic joke"

Every time you use the word 'eclectic', you do realise you have to pay me royalties, don't you? ;)

message 30: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Kerching! £5 in Jonathan's till!
Actually, I've just checked with her and it's not the same story.

message 31: by Andrew (last edited Oct 16, 2012 07:56PM) (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1608 comments I have made a little entry.

I am a writing contest virgin, so you bedder be careful with me.

And I did it in 199 words, and I did it in my lunch break, and it's now 0400hrs. And I am tired. And I am not grumpy. And I can't think of anything else to annoy you with :)

message 32: by Kath (last edited Oct 17, 2012 01:05AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Well you go jolly carefully driving home eh?
And good luck with the contest. We were all virgins once (Fnar, fnar!)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments Still a few hours to get your entry in everyone!

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Yes, come on - let's show everyone we can write! I'm still on a group anthology roll!

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Roll...dip...please can you kindly stop fuelling ideas for food puns!

message 36: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Sorry - mea maxima culpa!

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments I need to lie down. I read that as 'cuppa'

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Oh I could do with a maxima cuppa - I'll make one in a minute. Is your price up yet? I've had the email.

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments No price :(
And the email says it is available.
Well, I beg to differ!

My eyes are sore from staring at the screen all day!

message 40: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Jonathan wrote: "No price :(
And the email says it is available.
Well, I beg to differ!

My eyes are sore from staring at the screen all day!"

says exactly same on mine just uploaded. Just have to see what tomorrow brings

message 41: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Glad yours is up now too, Marc. It's stressful enough publishing without all this...

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24008 comments Yep, the email I have says customers can buy it *here* but they can't. Like Jonathan, I'm a differ-beggar!

message 43: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7463 comments Jonathan wrote: "Glad yours is up now too, Marc. It's stressful enough publishing without all this..."

well it is, but the email I was sent said it could take 24 hours for pricing info. Plus there is a link to editing the pricing that you can click on. At the moment everything's blank in it.

try not to stress about it. Personally for me, it just gives more time to prepare materials for the launch, including what I'm going to do on GR.

Marc