Man's Search for Meaning Man's Search for Meaning question

Possible read?
Andie Andie Oct 09, 2012 09:59PM
I read this book for a college course and LOVED it. It's a holocaust book, but a very uplifting one that I feel really changed my life. So if we are looking for a great Holocaust book that isn't too sad, then I suggest this one. (P.S. Viktor Frankl was in an internment camp, and it talks about his experiences but he has a very positive outlook which makes it much easier to read).

Of all the books I have read in my lifetime, no other has had such a profound influence on the way I perceived negative events in my life. Only humans can read, and every one of them should read this book.

this book has been an amazing influence on my life. i think cognitive psychology is just catching up with frankl's ideas. it's one of the five books i would want on a desert island ... even if alone on a desert island so i could reflect on life and "finally" get myself together. ;-)

This book is wonderful I think that everyone should read it.

this book should be reading material in every school

In this book you'll learn the foundations of Logotherapy (logos-meaning). I remember one frase that I wrote down to encapsulate all the material.

"Between external stimuli and your reaction to it there is a moment, it is in this moment that you have the true power of your kingdom to choose.

deleted member Dec 26, 2012 07:12AM   0 votes
I shall read it again .....it is one of those books one can read it agai ...it just makes me feel better when I am down...

One of the most important things I learned is that suffering and hurting is necessary and can be a powerful learning tool.

I read it years ago and it's time for a re-read. But I have thought of it many times throughout my life. Never more than when my father cared for my mother for 4 years before she died. Although he was 84 and not very well, his determination to care for her kept him going against all odds. When she was admitted to the hospital, he lasted 2 weeks and then collapsed bleeding with a huge ulcer. 4 cm! He must have been suffering in silence for a long time but his love for my mother kept him going. He did more for her than he did for himself. That was the meaning of his life.

My mother was given up for dead. They told us to pull the plug as she was unresponsive for weeks. Then one day she awoke! She asked for my father. We ran to her side and she croaked out the words "Buy your father 2 roast chickens. Freeze one. That way he'll have something to eat." That was the meaning of her life. What frankl writes is so true!

Harold Kasselman that brought tears to my eyes.What a beautiful story. You should see the film Amour.It is very painful but very meaningful
Mar 25, 2013 05:18AM
U 25x33
Patrice Thank you but there is NO way I could see that movie. I have spent the last 7 years trying to forget.
Mar 30, 2013 06:42AM

I read this book in 1983. Quite inspirational for a Roman Catholic Girls College. Some of the insights and quotes are still with me, some 35 years later. I'd highly recommend this book.

Last year, I was searching for some book to help me deal with a life crisis. And I found that one. Firstly, I was skeptic because I have not heard about it before. But reading it was a light in my life. I still refer to it to go through life. The main lesson it taught me is that even in the darker night, we can find the light of meaning. I recommend it firmly.

I highly recommend re-reading it if you have not done so in a decade or two. Many of my friends remember reading it in high school or college. For me that was 30 years ago. I re-read this recently, and rated it a five stars. It is not a long book, so savor it.

Frankl was amazing, his views on Logotherapy fascinated me in college while working on my B.A in psych and really influenced my thesis.
I can not remember which book of his mentioned one of the defining reasons he decided not to leave his parents. However, the story was that he found a broken piece of the ten commandments from his temple, containing the commandment to honor your father and mother. His actions were just humbling.

Frankl describes in the most extraordinary and memorable passage "how a man who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved." To come to this conclusion amid such desolation and terror is humbling indeed.

This little book may be one of the best books ever written. Period!

Its definitely one of the greatest books I have ever read. It touches one's emotions deeply beyond thought and give us a new meaning of hope amidst impossible situations. Loved the scene where he narrates on how his fellow members at the camp took off to their morning tortures into the cold morning.

I too recently read this book and thought it was great. Has anyone read his other books? Do they follow the same tone? The same insight?

More than a possible read, this is a required read. It will speak to you differently at different times and places in your life.

This book is probably one of the best books that I have ever read. It is a must read.It is extremely profound and very emotional book. Makes you think of how you can improve your life.

If there is one book that I would recommend to one and all, this book would be it. This book gave me a new view and perspective on life and its little troubles and challenges and how to think beyond them. As his final words in the book read

"So, let us be alert - alert in a twofold sense:
Since Aushwitz we know what man is capable of.
And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake."

I also came across this video which I am sure you will all enjoy -

I agree that reading this book can be a help. It was when my father gave it to me years ago, and has been to my son.

Andie wrote: "I read this book for a college course and LOVED it. It's a holocaust book, but a very uplifting one that I feel really changed my life. So if we are looking for a great Holocaust book that isn't to..."
I agree with you.When I was a teacher in 1970 I taught a course called Human Behavioral Patterns and used the book in class. It remains with me today a hauntingly emotional book.

This book came into my life as part of the curriculum for a college course on Transcendence and the Human Spirit. It will stay with me forever.

I read this short book years ago. Being 'emotional' I was afraid to read a 'holocaust' title, but it was great and I gave it 5 stars. Like 'Legionnaire: Five Years in the French Foreign Legion' by Simon Murray, what could the Jew Frankl not face and conquer after his Holocaust camp survival? What can we not face and conquer, knowing what we know, after reading these two autobiographies?

I was fortunate and had Mr. Frankl teach me in college! He is an unbelievable inspiration. My book mentions a bit about him and the power of the mindbody.

This book taught me that if you think forward and dream then your spirit alone can carry you through any physical affliction and situation. we alone give meaning to life.

It's brilliant