Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Exquisite Corpse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments I really liked this book but I am a lover of a good serial killer yarn! There is nothing like a good mutilation to bring out the best in people! :-)

Check out my list "I like serial killers" and be sure to add to it.

What are some of your favorite slayer type books?

message 2: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Scott wrote: "I couldn't finish this book. LOST SOULS was her only decent novel."

What did you not like about it?

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (kurt_jensen) | 4 comments My favorites in the serial killer genre would be:
Rex Miller - Slob
Michael Marshall - Straw Men
Derek Raymond - I was Dora Suarez
and
T. Jefferson Parker - Where Serpents Lie

James Ellroy's serial killer in The Big Nowhere is one of the most disturbing characters I can remember, too bad the rest of the book was so boring.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Cool topic. Obviously, EC was Brite's most controversial--and graphic--novel to-date...and for me, the most disturbing thing I've read. While I appreciated what she was trying to do with the novel, I think I enjoyed Drawing Blood more.

Rebecca wrote: "Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Brite was awesome also! I thought it was way better than Lost Souls."

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments I think some of the most original and inventive "serial killer" type novels written have been the Michael Slade novels. I thought I read a thread in here where someone really bashed them, but the now father/daughter writing team really do a nice job with the long-running series. And their books are pretty damn graphic, too.

message 6: by Mofo (new)

Mofo (Moforious) | 18 comments I have Exquisite Corpse somewhere in my apartment. I gotta find it and read it. read it long and hard!

message 7: by Evan (new)

Evan | 3 comments I read Exquisite Corpse a few months back and I felt some of the plot devices used were just beyond stupid. I don't want to post a spoiler, but anyone who's read the book knows what I'm talking about.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 186 comments I don't much like serial killer books, BUT I really enjoyed Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, and some Ramsey Campbell's stuff in the genre.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Me too, Cathy. Thomas Harris's novels have always been stand-outs to me (although the last novel about Hannibal's life--while interesting--was slightly disappointing, not sure why). Check out some of Dean Koontz's books and also the novels by Preston & Child. Agent Pendergast is awesome!

message 10: by kas (new)

kas (bella327) | 24 comments William wrote: "I really liked this book but I am a lover of a good serial killer yarn! There is nothing like a good mutilation to bring out the best in people! :-)

Check out my list "I like serial killers" an..."

I am gonna have to check out the Gerritson one b/c I LOVED Survivor and Endless Night!

Thanks

message 11: by kas (new)

kas (bella327) | 24 comments deleted user wrote: "I read "Exquisite Corpse" last summer and I loved it! I've read a few other books by Poppy Z. Brite years ago and I really enjoy her!
Books with a serial killer theme that I enjoyed were "The Surg..."

Oops wrong one...

I am gonna have to check out the Gerritson one b/c I LOVED Survivor and Endless Night!

Thanks

message 12: by Danielle (last edited Jun 17, 2009 12:55AM) (new)

Danielle (ielfling) I second that about Agent Pendergast, and the first books in Thomas Harris' series! I actually don't enjoy serial killer novels by and large, too close to real life horrors for me, but I loved the writing style in the Harris books and a few of those Pendergast novels have just been such fun rides. I can't think why they left his character out of the Relic movie, he rocks!

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Agreed, Danielle. SA Pendergast is a fantastic literary character, for sure.

Yeah, Kas, EC was one of the most disturbing books I'd read but JF's Survivor is pretty much tied for me in that same category. I loved the book but wow, what a dark, dark book.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments From looking up lists of serial killer novels, I have to say I haven't read too many. A lot of these types of novels are in series by authors I really don't dig--e.g., Patricia Cornwell.

The first serial killer novel I ever read was Red Dragon, and I loved it, along with Harris' second novel Silence of the Lambs. And technically American Psycho could go on that list, and I liked that one although it's pretty repulsive. I'm sure Laymon has written several books I've read and enjoyed with characters who hunt and kill many people.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Harris's "Hannibal" novels are at the top of my list as far as serial killers novels go...but I do like what Laymon has done with a good deal of his books...and of course Survivor by Gonzalez. I can appreciate what PZB did with EC, but I found parts of that novel almost too disturbing to get thru.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments What's so disturbing about Exquisite Corpse? Is it more disturbing than American Psycho?

message 17: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Tressa wrote: "What's so disturbing about Exquisite Corpse? Is it more disturbing than American Psycho? "

I didn't find AP disturbing. I was too distracted by the descriptions of fashion and stereos to pay attention to any violence there might have been!

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Oh, so you missed the rat/cheese/vagina passage? Not even a Bang & Olufsen could distract me from the carnage happening in AP.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Tressa wrote: "What's so disturbing about Exquisite Corpse? Is it more disturbing than American Psycho? "

Really, Tressa? I found both disturbing but somehow EC was a bit more repulsive to me. Although I had AP figured out about halfway thru the novel...

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Chris, I haven't read EC yet. I was honestly asking if it was more disturbing and in what way.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Well, it was extremely graphic, involved cannibalism and a variety of other horrors. Plus, the two killers in the novel were gay men, stalking this young Asian boy. Not making any statements here about alternative lifestyles or anything but it was almost TOO much for me.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Oh, I think I'll pass on EC.

message 23: by William (new)

William (Acknud) | 391 comments Tressa wrote: "Oh, I think I'll pass on EC. "

No...don't. It was an extremely good book! You said you were in the mood for something weird and it is weird!

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Well, hey, she asked me and I gave her MY honest take on it. Granted, most of PZB's work features gay characters and that didn't bother me (I really enjoyed her haunted house novel, Drawing Blood) but I thought she was really pushing the envelope with EC, which I think was the point. But then again, there were scenes in both American Psycho and Survivor that would've totally repulsed some readers.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Maybe I'll flip through it when I get back to my department, in a rubbernecking-at-the-scene-of-a-bloody-accident kind of way.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Of course, Poppy's got NOTHING on You-Know-Who's novella, HEADER! :P

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Alright, put down those Ed Lee pom-poms and back away slowly.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Oh come on...I couldn't help myself...

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott The only thing I remember from this book is a bit where the guy was sitting on a train or a bus, eating a human lunchmeat sandwich.

message 30: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments The only thing I remember from this book is a bit where the guy was sitting on a train or a bus, eating a human lunchmeat sandwich.

You hear this, William? I want a little bizarro, but I'm not signing up for this.

And I know you can't help it, Chris.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Oh no, Scott...it got a LOT worse than that...not that that isn't bad!

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I'm taking the plunge. The worst that can happen is that I can gag and return it early to the library.

Thanks for nothing, sickos!

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Ahem, okay...maybe the 'turned on by reading Survivor' MIGHT be a little TMI for some folks on here, Kas...lol Have you read Edward Lee, my dear? ;)

kasandra wrote: "Chris wrote: "Agreed, Danielle. SA Pendergast is a fantastic literary character, for sure.

Yeah, Kas, EC was one of the most disturbing books I'd read but JF's Survivor is pretty much tied for me..."

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I just don't get odd comments that people are turned on by reading about graphic rapes, even in fiction. I mean, to each his own, but if I got a tingle every time some character was about to be reamed in my book, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone. But that's just me.

Yeah, good suggestion, Chris. Someone who loves graphic rapes should turn the lights down low, pour a glass of wine, and open up The Bighead.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Okay, I'll admit it...I was turned on that Tressa was turned OFF by such personal confessions...that and her secret mad-love of Edward Lee. She just doesn't like to admit it. ;)

Scott wrote: "I'm turned on by the fact that Kasandra is turned on."

message 36: by Joel (last edited Jul 07, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

Joel (JoelArnold) | 35 comments I wanted to like EC, but just couldn't. I like gore and serial killer novels as much as the next person, but this seemed like a very self-indulgent novel to me. I've read some of Poppy's other works and enjoyed them - overall I like her writing. But this one seemed like she was trying too hard. Does that make any sense?

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 4297 comments Agreed, Joel. I thought it was too over the top...almost like the thought process was lets write a horror novel that would seriously piss off and horrify rightwingers...and i have said this before...when i read for entertainment, i do not care for an author's left or right view...don't want to be preached to....

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments I'm a rightwinger. Why would this piss off rightwingers? Because we don't like horror? I'm confused. I don't remember any politics in the book. Politic views that pop up in stories are a turn off to me, too, unless it's a political book.

message 39: by Will (new)

Will Errickson (WillE) | 563 comments Scott, good point! I'd forgotten that!

I read and loved EC, thought it was deliciously over-the-top and decadent, but that was in 1996 when it came out; don't know how I'd feel now. AP really disturbed & disgusted me back in '91 but when I read it again a short time later I saw it more as a black comedy/satire, more liked Burroughs's NAKED LUNCH. Yes, the rat/cheese/vagina bit was truly, truly despicable, but still... I thought it hilarious, too, that this guy had such TERRIBLE taste in music and loved to write about Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, and Whitney Houston!

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments Tressa wrote: "I'm a rightwinger. Why would this piss off rightwingers? Because we don't like horror? I'm confused. I don't remember any politics in the book. Politic views that pop up in stories are a turn off t..."

The boyfriend of Tran (his name doesn't come to mind for some reason) runs an underground radio show from various locations. The show is intended for a very vocal and angry gay audience. Basically it was his way of blowing off steam about the injustices in the world and ranting about them. That's the only political bit I remember being in it.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments I loved Exquisite Corpse and still do actually. I don't see the vapid teen writer some of you guys do in her writing. My fav from her is always going to be Drawing Blood though.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Thanks, Amanda. I guess I still don't get it; suppose it's been too long since I read EC. I don't find a radio show run by a gay man political, though. Unless the character was generalizing about how all conservatives hate gays. That is so tiresome.

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments Tressa wrote: "Thanks, Amanda. I guess I still don't get it; suppose it's been too long since I read EC. I don't find a radio show run by a gay man political, though. Unless the character was generalizing about h..."

It was about how mainstream white homophobic society was mistreating gay people and those outside of society in general. It was written around a time when being gay and not being in the closet was still a big step for most. I think it came out only a year or so before Matthew Sheppard.

message 44: by Scott (new)

Scott White?

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments Scott wrote: "White?"

Probably should have said WASPS there. I'm pretty sure it was a rant on suburban America and its view on gay people. It's been awhile so I could be wrong.

message 46: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments Oh, I see. I guess for me this is an example of her "teen" writing style. To make such a generalization about white people and homosexuals exposes how simple minded the writer is. It just seems like a writer who needs to gain some life experience.

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23558 comments There are large segments of every race who don't care for homosexuals. It's absurd for whites to be singled out, if that's Brite's purpose for that character's stance. Like I said, it's been a while since I read it. I do now recall the boyfriend and his radio program, but don't remember much more about it.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments Tressa wrote: "Oh, I see. I guess for me this is an example of her "teen" writing style. To make such a generalization about white people and homosexuals exposes how simple minded the writer is. It just seems lik..."

Well i do think she was 20 something when she wrote it (she's 40 or so now) and like me was mostly friends with social outcasts. It colors your world view. I mostly overlooked the radio show thing and paid more attention to the rest of the story. I've read several books that actually almost drove me to bang my head on a wall in order to finish them.

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 1621 comments Tressa wrote: "There are large segments of every race who don't care for homosexuals. It's absurd for whites to be singled out, if that's Brite's purpose for that character's stance. Like I said, it's been a whil..."

Also I think the character was supposed to be an angry at thew world type so the ranting was supposed to show you how he paid too much attention to his anger to see what was important (like Tran).

message 50: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 14 comments This is the only Poppy Z Brite topic i saw i wanted to ask if Lost Souls was a good vampire horror book to read if you wanted to try the author ?

I can get it from the library and im looking only for a tryout and not her best book.

« previous 1