The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion


554 views
I think it's overrated, how about you?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Personally, I don't think that the book is not as good as I expected it to be.I appreciate the wits of the writer for making me smile in some scenes and feel his sadness but there's nothing outstanding about the whole story except that Charlie was prematurely exposed to some things, like sex.I am also very confuse of what Charlie was going through, was he schizophrenic or something?


Casey I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's easy to relate and find it great to know that someone understands you. Anyway, some people speculate that Charlie was autistic, Asperger's Syndrome actually, but it is never specified if he is. And personally, I think he is just extremely shy and suffers from social anxiety. But basically what I'm saying is that The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book that you have to be able to relate to and understand to actually like alot.


Scott What Casey said.


Samantha Thomas Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's easy to relate a..."

Generally, a reader shouldn't have to relate specifically to the circumstances of a character to like a book. I like plenty of books that don't relate to me personally.

I liked the book well enough, but wasn't blown away by it.

And finding the book overrated depends on what you went into the book expecting. If you thought it was going to be the best, most life-changing book you've ever read, I can see how you would be disappointed.


Casey Samantha wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's ea..."

I understand what you mean, and I know that not all books need to be that way, but this is just one of those books, in my opinion.


Alicia It’s one of those books you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been completely alone when surround by hundreds of people, if the bathroom was the easiest place to eat lunch, and when you’re suffocating on emotion it just seems easier to stop breathing. Not all books are written for the general audience. Some books are written for those that need them.


message 7: by Aj (last edited Oct 10, 2012 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's easy to relate a..."


Thank you, Casey for sharing your thoughts about it. Maybe, I'm just expecting it to be philosophical, but nevertheless I appreciate the book thou in a different level. If you don't mind and by chance you have read the book God's Debris , I would also like to hear your thoughts about , it's one of my favorite.

Love Always,

Angelica


message 8: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Samantha wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's ea..."

Hi! Samantha, you surely captured where I was coming from. I would also agree that it isn't necessary to personally relate to a book in order for you to be really into it and in a way get move by it. There are books that cut through bones, that even after we have read them a long time ago, its poignant story instills in our heart, in my case one of it would be The Kite Runner.

Thank you for your warm reply.


message 9: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Alicia wrote: "It’s one of those books you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been completely alone when surround by hundreds of people, if the bathroom was the easiest place to eat lunch, and when you’re suffocat..."

I would agree with you on that, and maybe that's why it was really hard for me to get into the entirety of the story itself and liked it a lot. I cannot relate on some scenes , like in terms of the cultural aspect , by this I mean I might be too disturbed or occupied by the fact that Charlie experienced the things that he is not supposedly , at least in the culture I've grown up with. Nevertheless , I felt very sorry about Charlie's despondency.

Thanks heaps!for sharing your thoughts.


message 10: by Aj (last edited Oct 09, 2012 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes OMG!!Forgive me guys,I missed the part that Charlie was molested by his Aunt. That's why I was confused by most of the scenes and I entirely lost the main gist of the book , the reason why Charlie was acting that way.

I wouldn't have known about this if I hadn't read the discussion "Charlie's Sexual Abuse." I can't believe how I missed the soul of the book. I am so sorry guys, I really am to those I offended by saying my opinion hastily.


Incitanemxx i also think it's overrated, especially because the writing style is so poor (in my opinion). also, the thoughts that charlie had, were very dull... like, every time he saw kids, he went like: they'll grow up one day and they'll drink and do this and this and then they'll die, life is magnificent.. idk, i really didn't like it.


message 12: by Aj (last edited Oct 09, 2012 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Incitanemxx wrote: "i also think it's overrated, especially because the writing style is so poor (in my opinion). also, the thoughts that charlie had, were very dull... like, every time he saw kids, he went like: they..."

I also share your opinion , I was so confused with most of the scenes however, I just found out that Charlie's Aunt Helen molested him. Then most parts that I am very confused made sense. However, I think that the author have misled the readers in a way, like he so presented Aunt Helen as someone to be adored and sympathize on, only to find out that she molested Charlie.


message 13: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's easy to relate a..."

Having found out what Charlie had experienced with his Aunt. I absolutely don't want to personally relate to him and I don't wish anyone to.


Hayley Em i loved it. a small part of me thought it might be overrated but after i started it i couldnt put it down, and to me that is a judge of whether or not its a good book; if you can put it down.

big thumbs up!


Melissa read it a few years ago. did not think if to be anything special. if anything, it was completely over dramatic. simply not my type of book.


Fatin I didn't find the writing style to be poor at all. It was simple, and honestly, writing books in a simple way is one of the most difficult things to do.
I didn't exactly relate to Charlie, I was one of the popular kids in school, the girl who always spoke her mind and who no one tried to bully because I was just too confident to let it get to me, so being shy is something sort of alien to me. But I loved this book, I understood what Charlie was going through, I felt it. And some of the quotes in this book are just so beautiful because they're expressed so simply and with so much humility. Charlie was a thinker, and more than anything, he cared. He cared about everybody. He tried to love everybody. I loved Charlie.
I've never been a huge fan of YA fiction, but this book is right there on the top for me.
Also, about Charlie's abuse I really don't get how people missed it? I picked up on it at once, but even if people didn't realize that something was amiss from the start, I think Chbosky made it pretty clear :/ (and, no it wasn't open to interpretation. It was stated that he was sexually abused.)

Also, Aj, what Charlie's Aunt did to him may have been a huge part of why he was the way he was, but that's not the only reason people would be able to relate to him. Mostly, for whatever the reason was, he was an outsider looking in on the world, and even the most popular person, even the weirdo, or the brainiac, or the JD, or the jock, or the rich kid, or the indifferent kid have felt like they were totally alone in the world at some point.


Fatin Incitanemxx wrote: "i also think it's overrated, especially because the writing style is so poor (in my opinion). also, the thoughts that charlie had, were very dull... like, every time he saw kids, he went like: they..."

Charlie's thoughts were not dull, they were deep. I feel sorry for you for thinking they were dull.


Casey Aj wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's ea..."

I actually haven't read that, but I can read it and then share my thoughts with you, if you want to wait like a week?


Casey Aj wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he does, it's ea..."

Also, by relating to him, I mean like wallflower to wallflower not raped to raped.


Casey Alicia wrote: "It’s one of those books you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been completely alone when surround by hundreds of people, if the bathroom was the easiest place to eat lunch, and when you’re suffocat..."

Thank you for understanding everyone out there who is currently going through that or has already. You don't know how much your comment meant to me, not to be creepy.


message 21: by Incitanemxx (last edited Oct 10, 2012 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Incitanemxx Fatin wrote: Charlie's thoughts were not dull, they were deep. I feel sorry for you for thinking they were dull.

i feel sorry for you for thinking they were deep.
i don't see what's deep about looking at something and imagining what will become of it in the future. i, like everybody, do it all the time. does that make me extraordinary? does that make my thoughts deep?

as for the writing style: he's 15, apparently one of the best students in his class, but he writes like a 7-year-old. his ability to write about feelings and people consists of "he/she looks sad. i cried. i was happy. i was angry." now you may say, he has this extreme social anxiety and is, in general, kind of a sociopath. but his descriptive writing is just as poor. (in my opinion.)


Genny This book is very good, very like Charlie, teaches his world to you. The writer does not give a lot of information of the one who is Charlie and those who are his friends actually, and it is the interesting thing. Charlie shows that the simplest of the life is what really matters, and to be alone always it can be the problem in the young persons, not be able to fit in the molds. And though we are surrounded with people, many people feel alone. I like the simple form since is written, it is simple and does not have elaborated descriptions, really it expresses with clarity and I could identify with the personage in some moments, feeling empathy with him. The main character is a young melancholy, with deep thoughts about life and even having these thoughts his life falls apart. All characters affect their lives and somehow the writer engages them step by step. The book is enjoyable to read and leaves you plenty to think about.


message 23: by Aj (last edited Oct 10, 2012 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes I would like to raise the point that we need not to argue on each other about our individual perspective of the book. That's why I wrote the title of this topic in an open-ended question.As used at it may sound, each one of us is entitled to one's opinion and it's not necessary to push one's opinion on anyone to prove a point because the mere sharing of our thoughts is the purpose it self. We need not to rebuttal, a 'lil act in promoting harmony.

As for myself , I think I ought to re-read and watch the movie to deepen my understanding of the book and maybe appreciate it like people who are very fond of it do.


message 24: by Aj (last edited Oct 10, 2012 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes @ Fatin, I would beg to disagree that the premise that Charlie was sexually abused was clearly stated in the book or else every reader , I believe who are literate enough would have get it in the first place. Thou, I haven't watched the movie yet some feedback say that the sexual abused part of Charlie was clearly established in the movie which some of the readers (including myself) missed in the book.


And the molestation that Charlie had been through was a major factor why he got to be a wallflower and withdrawn himself from society. Of course , I was not just referring for being molested as the only reason why people get into emotional and psychological dilemmas , there a lot of horrible things as we know and I definitely pray that this wouldn't happen to me or to anyone I know or to any stranger.

I don't even see any valuable lesson in the story itself and I opine that title of the book is contradicting itself. Did Charlie had the perks after all?


message 25: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Hi Genny!

It's not that I oppose about what you said that this book has great thoughts about life in it. I would just like to share two books, which I think perfectly encapsulated great lessons in life. These books are " God's Debris" and " Religion War" if you happen to have not read them yet.


message 26: by Aj (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj Holmes Casey wrote: "Aj wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the world like he do..."


Yay! That would be really nice of you Casey. Okay then :)


Casey Aj wrote: "Casey wrote: "Aj wrote: "Casey wrote: "I actually found it be amazing. Maybe you just haven't gone through anything like Charlie, and that's why you find it overrated. When you feel alone in the wo..."

Actually, it will probably be longer because I have to get it from a different library, but I have it on hold right now.


message 28: by None (new) - rated it 5 stars

None i disagree. It is amazing. simple as that.


Meera Hi, I'm Stephen Chbosky's assistant, Meera. He really appreciates and is truly honored to have you read and discuss his book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The movie version of Perks, which was also written by him, is being released nationwide in the US today, October 12th! To find showtimes/theaters near you, visit http://www.facebook.com/WallflowerMov...

Thank you so much for all the support, it really means a lot to Steve. We hope you love the movie as much as we do!


Lurisse Ann I also thought it's some kind of a replica of J.D. Salinger's masterpiece (Catcher in the Rye).. I thought the story is too boring.. or ordinary..


Andrea Escaffi-James The book was good. Not excelllent, but it kept my attention.It kind of stretches the plot a bit in cetain parts and it feels thin.
The movie was okay, but I don't think I would ever see it agin. Emma Watson was not a good choice for Sam.


Lelde Bērziņa Andrea wrote: "The book was good. Not excelllent, but it kept my attention.It kind of stretches the plot a bit in cetain parts and it feels thin.
The movie was okay, but I don't think I would ever see it agin. E..."


I believe that Ema Watson was the best choise for the movie. And she is one of the reasons I want to see the movie.


message 33: by B. (new) - rated it 3 stars

B. Allyson I also didn't think this book was amazing. It was a good book that dealt with important issues but it was just okay. I felt it boring at times.

I don't think you need to experience what the character has to like a book. I've read tons of books about drug addicts, and I'm not a drug addict.

It was a good book but I think there are better books out there about this same issue.


Daphne I don't really think it's overrated. I admit that I was not that blown away as I wanted to be, but I still liked it and thought it was a great book. Charlie is a very interesting character, and I liked how I actually tried to understand him and his thoughts because at some points, he can be very hard to relate to. But in the end, his quotes and points of views can be lesson-teaching. And Sam, too. She's my favorite character because it felt like I wanted to meet her in person and hang out with her.

What I liked the most is the shock in the end. Well, it wasn't as shocking but I didn't really expect it. I assumed he has some mental illness but I didn't figure that it was because of his Aunt Helen.

It was sad in a way.

It was a good book, really. I just think it lacked the element of blowing me away. Haha.


Kimpie Same.


message 36: by Maria (last edited Nov 29, 2012 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maria No, it's not. It just so happens that a lot of people can relate to it. Many of people I know who didn't like the book didn't experience extreme loneliness or anything that is in the book. Especially if they were among the popular crowd during their teenage life.

Just a reply for someone, there are books that you will like even if you can't relate to it, then there are books that's quite difficult to get a grip on unless you actually had been in the same shoes. This book is the latter.


Yvonne Alicia wrote: "It’s one of those books you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been completely alone when surround by hundreds of people, if the bathroom was the easiest place to eat lunch, and when you’re suffocat..."

very very true! i love the way you worded this.


Casey Alicia wrote: "It’s one of those books you wouldn’t understand unless you’ve been completely alone when surround by hundreds of people, if the bathroom was the easiest place to eat lunch, and when you’re suffocat..."

That comment made my day, it really did. Because it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this world. <3


message 39: by Suha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suha I didn't enjoy reading it as much as I thought I would've, mostly because of the theme that felt so fuzzy and washed-out. But I can say that the ending was good enough for me.
The content though: Overrated.


Salwa 'we accept the love we think we deserve'.

As a kid of the 90's, I accepted this book on so many levels. I do not relate to a lot of things Charlie had to go through. I don't have and I don't want to.

I don't have a close friend who committed suicide. My education system is not like in the US. I did not personally experience bullying. I don't have a great athelete as a brother, a great sister who had to go through abortion, and an aunt I looked up to just to then realized had been sexually abusing me as a kid.

I have enough friends in school. I socialize enough, out of necessity. But I was also in a way, a wallflower. I have social anxiety. And I wish I had the courage to approach someone like Patrick when I was in school.

Then maybe I'd have more awesome friends like Charlie did. Friends with their own set of skills, frustrations and insecurities. Friends who act, write zines and listen to music I might not listen to. Friends who could challenge my view on a lot of things. Friends who would introduce me to things I might want to know but too shy to ask.

I eventually did have these friends later in life. They saved my life. I believe these friends and family members and teacher saved Charlie's. These are love Charlie believed he deserved.


Alyssa I read this book about a decade ago, when I was close to the age Charlie is when the book takes place. I didn't have an easy high school experience, but not many people do. It's possible that I could have related to Charlie because of my experiences vs his experiences, but it didn't make me like the book one bit.

I remember finishing it and feeling disappointed. This book was supposed to define my generation? (Because that's where the hype was trying to take it.) It felt trite; another Holden Caulfield. Everyone I knew loved the story and I finished it with a resounding "meh" and an "at least I tried." I definitely felt it was overrated at 16, and I don't know how differently I'd feel if I read it again today.


Sammy Young Charlie was not schizophrenic! He had suffered a terrible trauma, having been raped and abused by his aunt. Charlie's abuse was so traumatic to him that as a child his mind blacked out his abuse and made Charlie unaware of it, as sometimes happens when a human has suffered an insufferable trauma. However as he grows up and finds friends how bring to light matters of a sexual nature, and I imagine as his depression is being cured, Charlie is slowly beginning to remember more and more about what his aunt done to him. Bringing it completely to light when Sam rubs his thigh and tries to initiate sex with him. The reason why his Aunt Helen was made out to be such a perfect and admirable person was because Charlie was groomed by her to think that way, when a child is abused the abuser makes the child believe that they rely on the abuser and that they love and share a special bond with the abuser, there's so much mental manipulation hence the reason Charlie's mind is so f***ed up. And for those that say he had some kind of mental disability and that is the reason why he is so socially underdeveloped have simply not read and analysed the book closely enough, Charlie acts that way because a huge part of his mind has shut down due to trauma, he doesn't know how to act with people because he's never really had friends, his aunt made him feel solely reliable on her. If you haven't understood the book this much then no wonder you didn't find it a good read. Everything that Charlie goes through with his friends is all leading up to a build up, is all directing us toward a climax, everything that Charlie is experiencing is opening his very limited mind, they're opening up the part of his mind that is closed off - the innocent part. But unfortunately behind that innocent part is the truth about his abuse and the truth about someone he believed himself to care soooo deeply for. And this all leads us to Charlie's fall from innocence, his fall from grace and in turn leads him to be able to move past his trauma to no longer have his life stop with these traumatic experiences by proving to him that if you accept who you are and if you accept what's happening to you then you will be able to look back upon every experience with an open and clear head and to learn from each experience. Which Charlie learns himself through teaching these lessons to Sam, his friend who was also abused, and feels so similar to the way Charlie does. And the irony being that Charlie is the one to teach Sam that she should look back on her awful experience and learn from it - learn that she deserves more than that, that she deserves to be loved and to go to College and that she can still live the life she would be living had she not been abused, it does not define her! All of these lessons are shown to her by Charlie, who is ignorant to them himself and who in turn needs to be taught them.


message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely. I was so disappointed by this book.


message 44: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana I personally thought the book was awful. I felt sorry for Charlie but I found his characterization boring and contrived. Also, the book was very issue-y. It felt like all these heavy subjects were crammed into it with barely any developments attached to any.

The writing was annoying. How realistic was it that Charlie was considered such a genius by his teacher yet his letters were written very poorly?

If you liked this book, good for you. I'm glad you found something you could relate to but claiming that anybody who found the book overrated just didn't relate to the story is a poor excuse. I don't need to have a relative with an illness to find a book about an illness sad and heartbreaking. I actually understand Charlie's loneliness. I just didn't like the book. It's that simple.


message 45: by B. (new) - rated it 3 stars

B. Allyson Ana-Rose wrote: "I personally thought the book was awful. I felt sorry for Charlie but I found his characterization boring and contrived. Also, the book was very issue-y. It felt like all these heavy subjects were ..."
agrreeee fully!!!


Sammy Young I can completely appreciate someone not looking a book we all have different opinions, but I don't think it's right to give something a negative review when you simply didn't understand or grasp the plot


message 47: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana Sammy wrote: "I can completely appreciate someone not looking a book we all have different opinions, but I don't think it's right to give something a negative review when you simply didn't understand or grasp th..."

What's so hard to grasp about the plot of this book? Aside from the mental illness which some people didn't figure out till later, this story is as straight-forward as it gets.


Sammy Young Ana-Rose wrote: "Sammy wrote: "I can completely appreciate someone not looking a book we all have different opinions, but I don't think it's right to give something a negative review when you simply didn't understa..."

Exactly but the original comment at the start of this discussion the reader asked if Charlie had schizophrenia and later stated that she simply didn't understand the plot in that she never knew Charlie was sexually abused. And I'm afraid, I don't mean any offence by this, I simply don't think people should give a book a negative review if they didn't understand the plot. I think if you didn't like the book then by all means bash the book but not understanding a book isn't a good basis for disliking it, but that's just my opinion.


message 49: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana Sammy wrote: "Ana-Rose wrote: "Sammy wrote: "I can completely appreciate someone not looking a book we all have different opinions, but I don't think it's right to give something a negative review when you simpl..."

Lol, oh then nevermind. I didn't get the context of your original comment so I thought you were just issuing a general explanation for why people didn't like the book. But I guess I see your point. An opinion of a book can't be entirely accurate if it wasn't understood in the first place.


Sammy Young Ana-Rose wrote: "Sammy wrote: "Ana-Rose wrote: "Sammy wrote: "I can completely appreciate someone not looking a book we all have different opinions, but I don't think it's right to give something a negative review ..."

That's exactly what I meant, I think it's ridiculous that people are targeted for having an opinion on a book that's different from most others.


« previous 1
back to top