The Yellow Wallpaper The Yellow Wallpaper discussion

I think this is my favourite short story.

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fatin I love the subtlety with which it is indicated that the room is clearly some sort of asylum.

I just wanted to start a general discussion for this story as it's so wonderful.

Jessica C. I just love that her husband, a doctor, takes her "to the country" because the fresh air is appealing and curative. But instead, she loses her identity as she traces the never ending pattern on the wall paper. Her madness excels, so does her enjoyment, but confusion sets in too. I saw her as able to crawl through the wallpaper and thru fresh eyes and a new existence not a soul would recognize her as she, who makes the yellow wall paper a living and significant being. This story screams a woman depressed a husband disconnected and a woman becoming psychotic. CAUSE NO ONE GAVE A DAMN.SHE WAS PROPERTY AND SHE OBJECTIFIED BY ALL BECAME A WALLFLOWER.

Ladysw (Sara) It is a very interesting and complex story. I think it has to be read twice in order to fully appreciated. For instance, is the main character truly free now? It's also crazy how many women went through hat she did.The crazy woman in the attic was a common thing in Victorian and early 20th century Literature for a reason. If you are interested, you should read "Radical Feminism" by Bonnie Kreps. By the way, don't let the title of the article dissuade you or fool you. Radical feminism is about the opposition to comparing women to men.

Dorottya It was a compulsory reading for me at the university, and I didn't really feel like reading it, as I was having so many asdsignments, but I forced myself - and then I couldn't put it down. It was so intense, and of course, I liked the message a lot. Even nowadays, some women by men are seen as people who can't do any mental or artistic work, as they "are not made for that", and it's so devastating to see how it affects so many of these women.

Christina North I love it too. And it's great on audio. Even more eerie.

Fatin Hi Pat, you don't need to go to a library, the story's available online. it's a short read, only 50 short pages. Took me half an hour to read.

The story took from Perkin's own life and her mistreatment by Dr. S. Weir Mitchell.

Here's a few links to read it online:
http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/...
http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/tocc...
http://www.gradesaver.com/the-yellow-...

Lisa I enjoyed it when I read it in college. I liked it then. Now that I am older it resonates more deeply and I have a greater appreciation for it. It is one of my favorite short stories.

message 8: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Help!!! I by mistake deleted my post. Could anybody help me put it back on. It was # 6
Pat

message 9: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat Fatin wrote: "Hi Pat, you don't need to go to a library, the story's available online. it's a short read, only 50 short pages. Took me half an hour to read.

The story took from Perkin's own life and her mistre..."

Hi Fatin, I did just read the first link you sent and , thank you for sending it. I did read it many years ago but as time goes by, things change as we do. I see the story differently. And I still think, after I read the reason why Charlotte wrote the story. I wish I could find out what happened to the main character, or, rather, what Charlotte wrote about her. Unfortunately my "Mary Sunshine" persona comes out and I want the world to be happy and everyone nice and pleasant. And that just doesn't happen as often as I wish it would!

Cammi Love I read this when I was in 8th grade and its never left me. I never could remember the name. Recently, we read it in college and I was so happy to finally know its name and even own it in my library.

Cammi Love Lisa wrote: "I enjoyed it when I read it in college. I liked it then. Now that I am older it resonates more deeply and I have a greater appreciation for it. It is one of my favorite short stories."

I know what you mean. The older I get, the better this story is.