Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Can't see the forest for the trees

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (okohme) | 104 comments Am I the only one that gets so goal-oriented in the redin, in the attempting to accomplish reading goals that you fail to really sit ack and appreciate the reding sometimes? Just wondering.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments I am always baffled by this. I recall many instances at the end of last year where people stated how they rushed through to get that 50th book done - as if this was a challenge to win or lose. I didn't come anywhere near 50 but spent more time with each book and enjoyed the process and remember more of the stories. It is kind of like going on vacation and running around to visit all the scenic sites to cross them off the tourist list instead of taking the time to enjoy the view - you get to less places but you see more that way.

message 3: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Gloria, I have been fighting with the same feelings. I have to repeatedly tell myself to focus on the book at hand and not so much on the challenge. Rather amusing actually.

message 4: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1519 comments Mod
Gloria --

I also sometimes become more focused on the 50 Books Challenge rather than sitting back and enjoying my reading. I think it's because I'm so competitive (and because I grew up being one of the few brainy readers in my classes, but now that I'm on Goodreads, my reading isn't as special as it was back in the day... it's hard to let go of ;) ). I do, then, remind myself that the 50 Books Challenge is just a fun little game, not The Ultimate Goal (The Ultimate Goal, of course, is to move all of my books from the To-Be-Read bookshelves and boxes to the Read bookshelves and boxes :) Oh, no, wait--it's to enjoy the books. Right, that.).

Like Skt said, it's rather amusing :)

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I have made a goal of 100 books, A-Z title and A-
Z author lists inside of the 100 books. I put myself in a very precarious spot as far as reading just to read something I want to read. I kind of dug myself into a hole.

message 6: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (okohme) | 104 comments Molly wrote: "I am always baffled by this. I recall many instances at the end of last year where people stated how they rushed through to get that 50th book done - as if this was a challenge to win or lose. I ..."

Thanks for being unnecessarily derogatory.

message 7: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (okohme) | 104 comments Tiffany,
Yeah, I think that a lot of those things are true for me too. I think part of it too is that I pick books I don't really want to read or end up not liking, but then force myself to read anyway because, well, there it is, looking at me, judging me..

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments I don't tend to worry too much about reading quickly to get the books done. I love love love to read, so any time I lose the joy in reading, I take a step back and change how I am doing things. For example, I am working on the 1001 books to read before you die list, but I tend to alternate between those books, which can be tedious, children's/YA books ( I am a teacher) and entertaining books. If I start feeling frustrated by the situation (Exmaple, reading Saturday by Ian McEwan) I put the book aside and cut my losses. I think I should go back to that one though, when I am in a more academic mindset.

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Gloria wrote: "Thanks for being unnecessarily derogatory...."

Wow - I'm sorry. I didn't intend to come off that way at all. You stated that sometimes you feel like you can't see the forest for the trees and get more wrapped up in the quantity and miss the joy of the process. I sensed that happens a lot from what I saw posted at the end of the year - there is nothing wrong with looking to reach a goal and it should be applauded. I think your point was a good one - every now and then stop and smell the roses. I was just trying to say that is what I did - I fell far short of the 50 books but I didn't feel like I had failed - it was rewarding to keep track and gave me reason to keep reading when maybe I didn't always want to. I am really sorry I offended you.

message 10: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 924 comments Hey guys...that is why I signed on as the yahoo lady...each milestone is important and memorable...ENJOY EACH ONE...there is no prize for the first person to make 50...we might even consider them a 'show off'!

message 11: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (okohme) | 104 comments MEGAN
I love to read too, but sometimes I get overwhelmed by arbitrary goals instead of enjoying the reading as much as I should. As I said before, I think that the fact that I’m simply not really enjoying the book series I’m reading currently. I'm actually a big fan of a lot of the YA books. As good or better plot and writing as many of the "adult" books without gratuitous and explicit scenes.

MOLLY
I just sensed that you were being a little condescending, from your apparent bafflement that someone could be so obsessed with a goal. I am sorry if I overreacted. I intended to come here, to Goodreads, to find “friends,” but as of yet no one seems all that friendly or interested in conversing.

MARY TODD
I don't want to be "the first one done," I just have all these books that I felt like I want to or SHOULD read, and, as a result, I tend to get bogged down in the enormity of all. I understand that this is a sort of personal enrichment enterprise, but I still sometimes feel like I’m losing some sort of battle, if only with myself.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Gloria - baffled was probably a poor choice of words on my part. I am impressed by how much reading people can do and wish I could rearrange my time better to fit more in.

You should check out the Constant Reader group for lots of spirited discussions about books of all styles, poetry, movies, plays and anything in general. I have met lots of great people there.

message 13: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I have always been a really fast reader, so for me, reading a book in a few days IS sitting back and enjoying it. So I can't really say either or on this situation.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 312 comments This discussion is reminding me of an episode of Two-and-a-half Men...where the guy who is the kid's dad (obviously, I don't watch the show, just this one two minute part) is holding all of these books and screaming, so many books to read, so little time. I should read biographies about.... and these classics ,and that...

It also reminds me of my son...should he read what he wants to read or focus on getting a prize for having a lot of AR points. Ugh!

Hopefully, no one will be offended by this post... I'm just observing (when I probably should be reading a book!).

message 15: by Vicki - I Love Reading (last edited Feb 18, 2009 02:40PM) (new)

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcomMyBookBlog) it was only when i joined goodreads a couple of months ago, i realised how many books i've got..
i sat down with the lap top, and listed all the books on my book shelf, i was in shock, so i really need to hit this 50 books read. to make some room. lol.
Hubby thinks 285 books that have not yet been read is ridiculous, but thats only because he doesn't read. lol...
I cant help myself when i go in a charty shop, i have to buy books if i like them, then i end up with book 6 out of a series and have to get the ones before it, i cant read series of books out of turn.
It's a good job i don't keep them after i've read them or i'd need a bigger house.. once read they go to mum's then mum in laws then give them away at work or list them on ebay.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments Gloria wrote: "MEGAN
I'm actually a big fan of a lot of the YA books. As good or better plot and writing as many of the "adult" books without gratuitous and explicit scenes.
"

I can totally relate to this. I find YA books and Children's novels to have a certain magic to them. I get drawn into the stories more, for they seem to be more about character and feelings than "literary importance". It is only when I am reading a YA book that I stay up til 4 in the morning bc I can't put it down!

What kinds of books do you like? Maybe I can give you some recs.

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Victoria wrote: "it was only when i joined goodreads a couple of months ago, i realised how many books i've got..
i sat down with the lap top, and listed all the books on my book shelf, i was in shock, so i really..."

i am the same exact way. thats why i joined this group. I also put myself on a book diet I am not allowed to purchase a book until i have made the 20 mark. But that doesnt mean I can't order them from bookmooch and other trading sites.

message 18: by Vicki - I Love Reading (last edited Feb 19, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcomMyBookBlog)

lol i promised i wouldn't buy any at all this month, so i told mum which books had just come out and she bought them. so i've not cheated at..

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Cheater Cheater. Hey thats a great idea. I am going to Costco tomorrow with my Mom. I am going see what they have. And if I put it in the Family cart then I didnt buy it right?

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Dawn wrote: "Cheater Cheater. Hey thats a great idea. I am going to Costco tomorrow with my Mom. I am going see what they have. And if I put it in the Family cart then I didnt buy it right?"

Another Costco bookie? I cannot go into that place without buying one book. I've had to set myself limits--no hardcover, only things on my list. Still, they are so inexpensive I sometimes find myself with 3 books in my cart. And I go once a week. Even at 50 books in the year, I'll never dig myself out of the hole at this rate!

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Lisa wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Cheater Cheater. Hey thats a great idea. I am going to Costco tomorrow with my Mom. I am going see what they have. And if I put it in the Family cart then I didnt buy it right?"

..."

wow we are made of the same dna. i am right there with ya although I am a hardcover snob

message 23: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) The year before I started this group I didn't read as many books as I would have liked. There was never enough time or there was some other excuse. I knew 100 books was a stretch for me so I settled on 50. If I didn't make it, oh well, at least I would try. The specific number was a goal not really a contest. I need some kind of guideline to help me out a little. I did take this exact thought into consideration along the way so I wouldn't forget that this is not a contest.

message 24: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (okohme) | 104 comments MEGAN
I'm mostly into either fantasy or stories that surround characters who insteract heavily with the natural world (ala Scott Odell).

DAWN
I did the same thing. I had to stop buying anyhitng that "looked good" and instead write them down and try to get them from the library. Its working so far except that my list is getting longer and longer and longer. Everyday even. If I read a book a day, it'd STILL grow I bet. I am thinking ahead, planing and budgeting the purchase of aseries of books that I know the library dosn't have. *L*

DANINE
I made a New Years resolution this year to actually follow through with my desire to read more, that's what lead me to start hanign out here. It was just the whole "list" thing that made it more, I dunno, "compulsive" for me. I don't see it as a sompetition, well, not against anyone else. I think it deffinietly is a competition against myself though.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) WELL I HAD A BOOK MELTDOWN THIS WEEKEND. I THINK I BOUGHT 9. BUT ACTUALLY I DIDNT EVEN PAY FOR A SINGLE ONE.

GOT 6 FROM COSTCO ON DADS BILL (HEE HEE) AND I HAD 75.00 GIFT CARD FROM BORDERS.SO I GOT THREE FROM THERE.