Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Personalized recommendations > Help, what to read after Hunger Games?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ingrydd (new)

Ingrydd | 1 comments Books to read after the hunger games trilogy?? I've read both divergent books, I hardly liked either, I just got through both of them hoping it would get better and it didn't. It had a lot going on but I couldn't get attached to the characters.. I really need something good to read before I go crazy thinking about how there is no more hunger games! :'(

message 2: by Deborah (last edited Oct 06, 2012 12:46AM) (new)

Deborah Have you read The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner trilogy and Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman? Both are great.
Also you have to read Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake and Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake

For a change of pace Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

message 3: by Kim (last edited Oct 06, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Ingrydd wrote: "Books to read after the hunger games trilogy?? I've read both divergent books, I hardly liked either, I just got through both of them hoping it would get better and it didn't. It had a lot going on..."

Are you looking for another dystopian read then? I really liked Matched, but it's definitely more of a love story set in a dystopian world. I also liked Across the Universe which is sort of dystopian in space.

Or are you looking for a different element altogether?

I always go back to the classics any time I feel like I've read too many books I disliked (I also disliked Divergent). Sometimes, it's best to get out of the genre altogether and take a break.

In looking at the older posts, they discussed this a little when the bookclub read The Hunger Games here. You might find some good suggestions there

message 4: by Tabby (new)

Tabby Shiflett Try Under the Never Sky for another YA dystopian book.

message 5: by Minal (new)

Minal | 1 comments I would say the divergent series. I know some people above mentioned it not being good! However I found it thrilling just check it out!!!! It's awesome!

message 6: by Aliya (new)

Aliya (aliyabaca) | 5 comments Delirium
Divergent
The Fault in Our Stars

I really recommend you read these three :)

message 7: by Carri (new)

Carri (CarriFedor) I really enjoyed Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

message 8: by Ela (new)

Ela I JUST finshed Blood Red Road by Moira Young
It was great, really fast paced and adventurous. It's Dystopian and I read it in one sitting, a good Hunger Games-esque read.

Also the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patick Ness is one of my all time FAVOURITES, It's also Dystopian, but it's TOTALLY original, and in my book the writing/storyline ect outstrip THG easily!
Here's book 1 ---> The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

Choose Blood Red road if you want a great adventure story, and pick The Knife of Never Letting Go, if you want something unforgettable...
I hope that helps, and if you do read either of them, let me know what you think :D

message 9: by Jada (new)

Jada (JadaAriadne) | 29 comments I completely recommend Matched it's brilliant. I recommended it to a friend of mine and she got really mad at me because it was so good she went all fangirl on it and didn't get any sleep that night; but she was totally grateful and that's her favourite book now. Also I recommend Noughts & Crosses it's fascinating. These are all Dystopian which is what I presume you're after.

Hope I helped. Let me know :D

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kadykayf) Tori wrote: "I'd highly recommend Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis it's my favorite read of 2012. It's a dystopian book, but not really like the Hunger Games, but totally amazing! (:"

I'm going to second that one. I loved Across the Universe and liked its sequel A Million Suns. Can't wait for the conclusion Shades of Earth.

message 11: by Winter (new)

Winter O. (Sum3mer) Depends.. Re u looking for something like hunger games and wht did u think of the hunger games? You can pick between "obsidian" and "obsidian" oh ya I already read obsidian I think u should read obsidian

message 12: by Vandita (new)

Vandita (vandita_booknerd) Hey just give a try to Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness, the first book being "The knife of never letting go".
Its a great dystopian read and wonderfully written.