21st Century Literature discussion

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Discussion > What to Read Nov 2012: Open Pick is CHOSEN (closed)

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Will Mego (willmego) Please select one book for nomination for the open pick. Nominations must be fiction, and published in the year 2000-present. Selections can be denied if deemed by moderators to be too genre or not to a standard appropriate to the group.

Nominations will close on Friday, October 12th.
Polls will run from Oct 12-19th. This gives you from the 19th to the 31st to get your hands on the selections.

Will Mego (willmego) So, for my pick, yesterday they announced that Junot Díaz won a MacArthur Fellowship, the so-called Genius grant, which amounts to $500,000 over 5 years, no strings attached.

It's been nominated before a bunch of times, and it won the Pulitzer and the National Book Circle Critics award....can we FINALLY read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz?? that's my nomination. Come on, MacArthur fellowship, Pulitzer, award after award...let's do this.

message 3: by Silver (new)

Silver The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery

Stonewall Book Award for Literature (2008), Lambda Literary Foundation Award for Lesbian Debut Fiction (2006)

Savanna (SavannaSL) | 35 comments A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews

Scotiabank Giller Prize Nominee (2004), Governor General's Literary Awards (2004)

Deborah | 983 comments Mod
The Instructions. (My friend Terry is reading it and recommends it.)

message 6: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Baldwin-Stephens | 131 comments Will wrote: "So, for my pick, yesterday they announced that Junot Díaz won a MacArthur Fellowship, the so-called Genius grant, which amounts to $500,000 over 5 years, no strings attached.

It's been nominated b..."

I second this.

message 7: by Sophia, Honorary Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophia Roberts | 1324 comments Mod
NW by Zadie Smith NW by Zadie Smith

Casceil | 1672 comments Mod
I second A Complicated Kindness. I would also like to nominate Trapeze. This book also seems to sometimes be called "The Girl Who Fell From the Sky." The author, Simon Mawer was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2009 for "the Glass House."

Thing Two (thingtwo) How aboutThe Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli. It won the James Tait Black Prize for Fiction in 2010.

message 10: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will Mego (willmego) Nominations closed, poll will be up soon.

message 11: by Will (new) - rated it 3 stars

Will Mego (willmego) Polls have closed, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz by Junot DíazJunot Díaz has won. I will be leading the discussion, which will begin November 1st and end on December 1st.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.