Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
This topic is about Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
Pastiches, Homages & Parodies > Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments I don't think I have read a novel with Sherlock Holmes out of England before.

Mike  Davis (mldavis2) | 18 comments The entire series of Mary Russell - Sherlock Holmes by Laurie King takes Holmes out of London.

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Mike wrote: "The entire series of Mary Russell - Sherlock Holmes by Laurie King takes Holmes out of London."

Oh that's right! I have read the first one, The Beekeeper's Apprentice . I also read The Art of Detection.

Darlene Cypser | 7 comments Even some of the stories in the Canon take place in part out of England. For example, Holmes and Watson travel outside of England for the Disappearance of Lady Francis Carfax and, of course, The Final Problem.

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (foxwrapped) | 353 comments Anyone reading this? I have been a naughty naughty mod and haven't read it.

message 6: by David (new)

David Elkin | 62 comments I have read the Red Demon and did enjoy it. Good, not great

Lindsay Hall (lshall) | 4 comments I've read several of the Larry Millett Holmes books and love them. I'm from MN, so I like to go visit the settings of each one after I'm done.

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Terry (jontlaw) | 5 comments I enjoyed this one a lot, and the next one, The Ice Palace Murders. However, I have noticed that Millett writes Holmes as a much more cruel person, someone who lets the stress of the investigation come between him and his natural English politeness. In the Red Demon, he went so far as to strike a woman he believed to be lying - BTW, she wasn't. Doyle's Holmes would never lose control the way Millett's Holmes does.