Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Eleventh Plague
This topic is about The Eleventh Plague
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch → Start Date: October 08, 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Sarajayne and I are planning on doing a buddy read for The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch by Jeff Hirsch. We are looking for any other people that would like to join in with us. This is my first buddy read I've ever done and it's like the second or third one she's ever done. Could anyone comment below telling us more about how buddy reads work? Thanks so much for your time!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments In!!!!
It's easy. We set up the date we want to read together. How many chapters a day. And come back and talk about it. Easy, right? :)

message 3: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Okay, great! Do you already have the book? OMG, I thought it was going to be harder than that, lol. Okay great!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I think I can get one later. When are we going to read?

message 5: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments We were thinking sometime next week but if you can't get the book before then, we can always change the date.

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Ok. I'll let you know when I get the book.

message 7: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Okay great!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Alright now I got the book from Kindle. Let set the date. I am up for any day next week. So it's up to you two, Jacquelyn & Sarajayne.

message 9: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Great! I'm so excited! Umm.... Sarjayne and Gisbelle, is Monday okay?

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I'm game :D

message 11: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Awesome! I just messaged Sarajayne to make sure she gets the info so hopefully Monday is good with her as well. But as of right now, Monday is our starting date! Ahhh, I'm excited for my first buddy read! Once I start I'm going to be doing a ton! LOL. I also made a folder if you're looking for someone to do a buddy read with you for a certain book as well, so be sure to check that out!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Great! It seemed like no one in the group wanted to join buddy read, that was why I deleted our previous folder. I will join as many as I can now that we are doing it in our group :)

message 13: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Same! Maybe we can do a lot of buddy reads together because I think we like the same kind of books and I'm liking this idea! :) I was looking for the buddy read folder and was driving myself crazy because I had no idea where the heck it went! LOL! Also, maybe when Trisha sees this, maybe she'll want to have a buddy read with someone (she's a very active group member, as you already know!)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments lol.... sure, she is very active! I have posted some of the books I plan to read this month.

message 15: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Awesome! I'll be sure to check it out soon!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments how about 5 to 10?

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments :) A buddy read?!?! Yay! trying to get my hands on the book. I may be starting late but I'll try to catch up (if I can find the book :D)

message 18: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Awesome! Gisbelle- I think 5 to 10 chapters a day is a perfect goal. Trisha- YAY! I hope you find it! Even if you do start late, I KNOW that you can catch up!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Great then. So we agree on reading 5 to 10 chapters a day. :)
Welcome Trisha :D

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I finished chapter 5 and so far, it's just ok. We'll see what will happen next :)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments It's a quick read. I say we can finish the book in less than one day. But only if it is interesting :)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Just finished part one. So far, I don't find it interesting.

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments starting...tomorrow. I don't have the book yet :)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Yes, the pace is not too slow. Which is great. I'll try to read more soon.

message 25: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I still haven't started it but I will start it either today or tomorrow.

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I am going to resume soon :) I'm in part 2

message 27: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I still haven't started it yet but I have a feeling I'm going to finish Maze Runner tonight and then right away I will start this.

Gisbelle | 27303 comments It's a fast read, so I think you can finish it faster than when you read Maze Runner.

message 29: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments YES! I hope so! I can read much faster in the summer because I have more time to read but when back-to-school time rolls around I don't have lots of time to read so it takes me longer to finish books:) LOL

message 30: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Oct 09, 2012 11:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments Okay, so I just got to part 2

but an earlier page got me thinking and I wanted to ask you guys a question (if you're okay discussing parts of the book as we go?)

So, on page 7 (so pretty early on, I'm not doing spoilers here!), Steve is going through his pack and says "As I arranged the clothes in my pack, my hand hit the spine of one of my books"

He goes on to explain that it's Lord of The Rings, how he found it...etc ,etc.

And it got me thinking...if you could only have 3 books with you after the end of the world (because all the others are burned for kindling),

What 3 books would you pick??

message 31: by Gisbelle (last edited Oct 10, 2012 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Oh... Interesting! Hmm... I would pick The Bride Price by Buchi Emecheta (read it like 10 times and still love it) David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (one of my first loves...which got me to read more later on) & Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling (being a potter head, I have to pick one from HP series)

this question is good enough for us to create a thread for it :)

message 32: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments Sarajayne wrote: "Good question-I have to think on that :)"

right!! It's just so tough. I think I would definitely want Pride and Prejudice but....everything else I keep thinking of is either mystery or zombie or scary! None of which I want AFTER the apocalypse! LOL! I have to think too....

message 33: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments Did anyone get anywhere on this today? Are we discussing as we complete a section??

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I don't get much from this book :( Now I am in chapter 13. I have to pause and read other books instead.

message 35: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments Hmm, I wonder if everyone else isn't really feeling it either......

Gisbelle | 27303 comments There is not much explanation so far. But looks like you enjoy the book :) So I guess, it might get a bit more interesting for me :D Now I try to finish Cursed first. It's been in my current read for a few weeks now :P

message 37: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I just started this last night, I'm only about ten pages in. I will read more today and tomorrow though. And Gisbelle, I think that we should create a thread for that!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I almost finish part 2.

message 39: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I'm only on chapter three! I'm sorry guys, I'll try to finish either today or tomorrow!

message 40: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments LOL! Are you guys finding it hard to want to pick it up? Are you enjoying it??

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I don't enjoy it much :(

message 42: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I just haven't had much time to read! I hope to finish it tonight though, because I have nothing to do. So Trisha, rated it a four and Gisbelle only rated it a 2?!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments :) Maybe it's not for me :D

message 44: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments I like characters and I really liked the main character. he sold the story for me.

but I know many reviews on this book said they thought the book was the way younger end of the YA (possible Juvenile and not YA) because the story was just so basic and the kids were immature compared to what they'd been through....

Was that your main dislike Gisbelle? Or something different?

(phew, I think I even managed to avoid any spoilers :D)

message 45: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I hope to finish it today or tomorrow morning! I'm sorry that I'm holding up the discussions!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments It's ok J!

Well, Trisha, the book was just a bit bland for my taste. Nothing exciting. :)

And yes, I agree it was more like a Juvenile fiction.

Gisbelle | 27303 comments So what do you ladies like about this book?

message 48: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trisha | 31379 comments I really liked the main character. I just connected with him in the beginning with his relationship with his dad (and always hearing his grandpa in his head) and missing his mom. I loved his survival instincts.

But, I also do read quite a bit of juvenile/preteen to because I'm part of a mother/daughter book club with both of my girls (and have been for years!)- so I've found that I don't mind when a book keeps things simple sometimes :)

I can see how it would be annoying for others, though. Especially if you don't normal read that level.

message 49: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I love the main character as well, Trisha!

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I feel like a jerk for no liking the protagonist lol... I just didn't connect with the book.

« previous 1