UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Words to the Wise 3: Sirrenvaag Part 1 (with spoilers!)

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments http://www.amazon.co.uk/Words-Wise-Go...

I've got to recommend this. Last November I was invited to choose a book for the monthly reads and I chose Book 1 in this Saga - Awakening. We ended up with a band of very keen fans who then went on to read Book 2 - Towards Darker Climes. I started a thread for it here and we had a good chat (with some hidden spoiler bits).

When the gang have had a chance to read it, I thought we might do it again with Book 3. Wowww! It's THAT good!

message 2: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments OH MY GIDDY AUNT!

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Bleddy astonishing eh?

message 4: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments I genuinely did not see that coming! Although when I think back on it it should have been obvious the whole way through this book.

Can I mention spoilers here?? I really want to

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments I think we can put spoilers if we hide them - I really want to as well!

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Philip (sarah) (last edited Oct 05, 2012 06:56AM) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Testing spoiler:(view spoiler)

message 7: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments How did I manage to get the symbol right but my words have disappeared?,I must go and search for the code:@)!!!

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Come on Jud, what did you think of it?

message 9: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments Oh, I thought I had posted here already!

IT WAS AMAZING

message 10: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments (view spoiler)
I can't wait to read it again, I genuinely don't know how to start writing a review for this. I think I will read it a second time before I attempt to write a review, or I might write a quick one for now and update it later

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments I know.. yeuch! I loved a bit way at the start of the book where instead of saying "bad smell" it was written "an uncannily familiar stench that I was reluctant to reintroduce to my olfactory sense". I think that was the point where I sighed and lost myself in the story and the writing style.

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Good, isn't he?

message 14: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Still struggling with the spoiler code!
I shivered at the descriptions of the village and when he described the texture of the wall and floor coverings, Wow!
Purgatory keeps coming to mind as I read these books and I don't know if it's a flashback to my early teachings and fears or if it's more related to 'a waiting for your fate to be decided in view of past deeds analogy.' Fascinating!

message 15: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Are you familiar with Simeon from the New Testament? (view spoiler)

message 16: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Yes of course.I didn't make the connection though.You have now given me even more reason to read the series again (any excuse).
I recently looked again at Dante's Divine Comedy in light of various questions thrown up in Cornelius's books.The allegorical nature of the text fascinates me and again I start making comparisons with the ferry crossing,the mountains,woods,hunger(as opposed to gluttony) the two creatures etc.

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments He's a clever beggar isn't he? Sarah, at the right of the message box here, there's a thing in brackets that says (some html is ok) click on that and one of the things it shows you how to do is a spoiler.

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Cornelius, are you reading me? Over.
(view spoiler)
Do you know, I really wondered to myself when waiting over a year for this book, whether I had built your talent up in my mind and just made myself think it was going to be good. It's surpassed my hopes and expectations.

(No pressure for Part 2 then!)

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments It broke my heart too Ignite, it upset me that it was now dead if it was still alive somewhere I don't think it would have been such a poignant moment.

message 20: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments I'm reading you loud and clear, Kath... kshh (that was my toy walkie talkie).

Ok, am I aware? In all honesty, not all of the time. I shan't be vainglorious here and pretend that I sit next to a burning candle with a bag of crisps contemplating these universal truths, but I do feel that they're universal truths only because we've made them so. Without humanity these truths wouldn't exist; we are the truths, and therefore their role in the saga is, for me, simply a natural occurrence. A wise old sage with strange shoes once said: "To live is to lean into shadow every so often and ignite the silence therein". So far The Wanderer has leaned enough to give himself a silly walk.

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Oh how pleased I am that there is an ignite in there!
I know what you're saying. It's just that lots (absolutely ooodles) of authors write about humanity and don't hit the mark, whereas you can speak of (view spoiler) and you touch hearts with it.

message 22: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments I'm not sure I can sufficiently explain why that might indeed be the case, Kath; nevertheless I'm glad it is. I'd love to say that I'm assisted by the power of crisps, but that would be ludicrous... wouldn't it?

message 23: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments and crayons?

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Well here's a question then - (view spoiler)

Are you going to say "Can you say 'Patience'?"

message 25: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Ignite wrote: "Well here's a question then - [spoilers removed]

Are you going to say "Can you say 'Patience'?""

Hahaha... excellent, Kath, that made me laugh. As for the answer, how about Jud and Sarah, do they want to know as well? What if they don't want to know? What if I answer and they bombard me with hate mail? What if I answer and The Wanderer appears before me and slugs me in the kisser?

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments I'm bombard you with hate mail anyway until you get part 2 out.

I don't know if I want to know.

I want to know but then I don't want to know in case it ruins part of the next book for me or even the book after that...

Is there another book after part 2? I can't remember if it was meant to be a trilogy or just a series of 10 books or so...

message 27: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Oh I don't doubt it for one moment, Judster. Ok, in that case I'll PM Kath privately and tell her if she really wants to know, but I'll let her answer me here first. As for books beyond part 2; yes, the Saga will reach the dizzy heights of Book 6 or possibly 7 before The Wanderer hangs up his hat.

message 28: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments No doubt I'll be reading book 7 to my grandkids

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments And yes, that is a slight on the time it takes you to publish a book and not on me expecting book 7 to be a delightful bedtime story for wee bairns.

message 30: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Right, just for that I'm going to extend the Saga to twenty books. At this rate I'll be writing it from the beyond.

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Well, if you want to know.... I want to know!

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Well. Now I know. Or don't! Thank you Cornelius.
(Or not!)

message 33: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Well I'm glad that helped (or didn't). You're welcome (probably).

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments I'm now going to ask whether anyone else (view spoiler) or is it just me?

I'll get me coat.

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Nobody then? Not even the author?

message 36: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments I think I really need to reread it before I can really comment but yes, that bit did have me horrified and left me feeling violated

message 37: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Ignite wrote: "Nobody then? Not even the author?"

Oh, me? Sorry, Kath, I've been preoccupied these past few hours with a pretty flower I saw in the garden. Strange for this time of year, I know, but I was totally captivated there for a while. It's ok, though, I went out and stamped on it.

Anyway, the scene to which you referred. I can certainly understand how it might be deemed as such, but I intended it as more a dark reconnaissance than anything else. There's definitely a penetrative theme present, however. It's open to interpretation as always.

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments Trust me to get the odd interpretation eh?

message 39: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Trust me to write the odd books.

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments What a shower we are. :)

message 41: by John (JMW) (new)

John   (JMW) | 1 comments Just finished reading this, fantastic addition to the saga, I really can not wait until the next one. Just left a review on Amazon too.

JMW

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments Oh! I Think I have to read these again now

message 43: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24003 comments It's pretty damned good isn't it? It made me re-evaluate some of the things I'd thought I knew from the first 2 books. Dead clever, that!

message 44: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments John W wrote: "Just finished reading this, fantastic addition to the saga, I really can not wait until the next one. Just left a review on Amazon too.

JMW"

Thanks for the review, John, I'm glad you liked it. It took me a while to publish it, but I got there eventually.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Hi Cornelius!

Lovely to see you!

Though of you the other day while I was shopping. My local 'ex-pat' supermarket got in a huge shipment of imported crisps. Yes, they were dead expensive. Yes, I stocked up anyway. ;)

message 46: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius Harker | 807 comments Hi, Patti.

That sounds like a superb supermarket. You made a fine decision in stocking up because their supply will diminish within a day or two. Why? Because people love crisps... crisps are great!