SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

RIP: Dead/Expired Threads > 3rd Quarter Report: 2012 Goodreads Challenge

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:25PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments How's everyone making out on their 2012 Goodreads' challenge?
Have you been able to read more or less than you'd initially anticipated?

Have you considered what your goal will be in 2013? Are you planning to participate in the coming year?

Inquiring minds want to know ... :)

message 2: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (LethalLovely) | 1360 comments I'm further along in my challenge than I thought I would be. Last year my goal was 150 & I read 167. This year I decreased it to 125 & I'm currently at 121, so I'm positive I'll reach my goal way before December 31st. That being said, I have been reading less. I usually start & finish around 14 books a month & I only read 9 in September. >_< A lot of it has to do with being swamped with Uni & my job & a lot has to do with having the misfortune of starting a bunch of crap books. *sighs* I hope this month will be better in quality if not quantity.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 766 comments I'm 14 books ahead of my schedule 111/130 :)

message 4: by Paris (new)

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I've only read 154 full books towards my 200 book goal, so if things progress the way they have been I should hit 200 just fine. I just need to cut our the novellas and shorts that take up time. I've read 30 of those so far this year.

I definitely plan on doing it next year. Might bump up to 215, but then again I want to read the Game of Thrones books next year, so we'll see. lol

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments I feel some of your pain, LL. My monthly reads ranged around 25 bks a month during the first quarter of the year, but in the 3rd ... ~ 5, if I'm lucky. :( Ah, the joys of furthering our edumacation, yah? LOL! Hope the book Gods grace you with great quality in coming months to make up for it.

That's great, Laura! Will you be increasing in 2013?

I'll join in again next year, Paris. I like that it tracks my totals for me. Takes the pressure of finding time to update challenges, which I've sucked at this year.

Last year, my goal was 200 and I ended the year with 214. I set my goal the same for 2012. So far, I'm 35 bks ahead of schedule (b/c of my book busting 1st quarter). I'm hoping that cushion will help me meet my goal by year's end.

Kerstin (under_moonlit_skies) | 862 comments I'm done, 103/100!
Last year my goal was 150 and I finished with 153. I decreased it this year, as I have started a new job and just didn't get to read as much. I used to read around 12-15 books per month, but this year it's more like 6-8. A bit disappointing :(

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments 111 of 125 (89%)
Awesome, you're 17 books (13%) ahead of schedule!

My original goal was 100 books which I increased after attaining it. Last year's goal was 150 and I read 165.

message 8: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ 287 of 300 (96%)
Awesome, you're 61 books (20%) ahead of schedule!

I'm doing much better than I expected but that's because my job is really slow and I spend most of the day reading. I'm going to keep 2013 at 300 in the hopes that work will actually become work and reading will be relegated to nights only.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Wckdktty) | 18 comments 66 of 120 (55%)
At your current pace, you're 24 books (20%) behind.

Way Behind. I have had a lot of unplanned travel times and mourning. Been a rough year for my family as we have lost at least 5 family members this year and it was almost every other month.

I do plan on continuing to challenge myself to read more. If I dont meet the goal this year I will try next.

message 10: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6146 comments So sorry to hear that, Shannon. I hope 2013 is a much better year for you and your family!

I'm on track to reach my goal, even as I'm heading into the busy-busy time of year (work & personal!) I'm at 129 or 141 (14% ahead). Don't think I'll up the number, this is a comfortable pace that balances well with the rest of my life at this time. (fingers crossed that it continues to be so-so balanced!)

message 11: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments What Judithe said,Shannon
oh and hey Judithe! *waves*

My Challenge

Congrats! You have completed your goal of reading 212 books for the ~ 2,012 in 2012 Book Count Challenge ~ challenge!

214 of 212 (101%)

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 766 comments Steph wrote: "I feel some of your pain, LL. My monthly reads ranged around 25 bks a month during the first quarter of the year, but in the 3rd ... ~ 5, if I'm lucky. :( Ah, the joys of furthering our edumacat..."

I'll try to read 150 books next year :)

message 13: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6146 comments Hey, Midu! *waves back*

message 14: by Lis (new)

Lis | 3101 comments Just hit my 135 of 135 this week. Yay!! Still more reading to go... I bumped it up a little this year and will probably bump it up again next year.

message 15: by Deyara (new)

Deyara | 30 comments I'm 25 ahead - 214 of 250. Heading into a rough patch at work with even shorter staffing though, so will probably drop back a bit - I usually read in the bus but just rest instead :)

message 16: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments Congrats, guys! The joy of this challenge is that the # can modified at any time. Reading more - up it; reading less - lower it. No guilt. ;)

Shannon, I'm so sorry to hear that and hope that 2013 is better for you and your family.

message 17: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 20952 comments Well, I'm 15 books ahead (80%) 318 of 400 books. Last year I read 452 of 450 and I found it really stressful towards the end so I decreased it to 400 this year. I'll be in again and probably keep it at 400.

Shannon, really sorry to hear about your family, hope 2013 is a much better year for you and yours!

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) 186 of 200 (93%)
Awesome, you're 33 books (16%) ahead of schedule!

I have read quite a few shorts and novellas though, but I did set my goal high for that reason. Since those tend to sit unread in my Kindle.

I will participate next year, but I haven't decided on a goal. I'm not sure if I'll have a job at the beginning of the year, and I'll be starting Grad School in the fall. And like Paris, I want to read the Game of Thrones books.

message 19: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments Go, Angie! Those wee ones count too. Ya read 'um didn't cha? ;)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 7085 comments My original goal this year was 200 books. Last year I managed to do slightly more than 250. In july I changed it to 250 because I was doing great and I am 7 books away from succeeding. I might have to increase it before the end of the year. I know I cannot make it to 300 but I girl can hope.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 7085 comments I have to say that GR counts books even if they are shorts. If I want to be fair I would have to say tat I have read 196 books that are more than 200 pages....so I read too many shorts.

message 22: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments Oh I wish I could read 300+ in a year. How lovely. Makes me :) just thinking about it. LOL!

Yeah, if you mark it as read in 2012 GR adds it to your tally, even if it's only 2 pgs.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 7085 comments But Steph.....quantity does not equal quality. I made a few bad choices this year. :)

message 24: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 20952 comments LOL. Haven't we all!!

message 25: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24952 comments You're SO right, Val! Better books read definitely outweighs more books read.